Nurse pay in DR

Secret

Feb 1, 2005
Does anyone know what a nurse makes for pay in the DR?
LPN pay?
RN pay
Nurse Practicioner pay?
Thank you?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I don't know what they earn, but you can be sure it is much less than what they earn in your country if it is the US, Great Britain, or Canada.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear Secret: They are terribly underpaid

Some professional (University RN degrees) have managed to climb to administrative positions, but, in general, nurses are probably the most underpaid of all health workers.

Two things are at work:
1) the MACHO attitude of most MDs
2) the abundance of uneducated young women who will do the slop work almost for free-or at least minimum salary-and not complain too much. Some beocme mistressed or occasional squeeze of the MDs and others go on to other things.

The PUCMM in Santiago was the first university to offer a full, four year curriculum in Nursing. A few years ago, we had to close the program because of a lack of applicants. Several of the original graduates returned and got their MD degrees...Most of the others are no longer in nursing. One I heard of recently is in New Mexico starting a refuge for battered women. (She had more money than Midas and could do whatever she wants. Great kid and very down to earth.)

HB

hugoke01

Dec 31, 2004
A nurse in the South (Barahona - Vicente Noble ets..) would make around 8 to 10,000 Pesos a month --For sure they make more in Santo Domingo or Santiago but as far as I know they shouldn'i make more than 11 to 12.000 pesos a month​
Secret said:
Does anyone know what a nurse makes for pay in the DR?
LPN pay?
RN pay
Nurse Practicioner pay?
Thank you?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am polling my sources at the HURJMCB

that is the Regional University Hospital in Santiago. So far, university graduates are thought ("I think..) to make about RD$11,000-RD$12,000. I will know mere next week and will post here.

this is about what a teacher in the public schools makes teaching both morning and afternoons.

HB:D

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
purplebunniern said:
what about private clinics?
say working for a cardiologist

Same deal. Nurses get paid close to nothing in the DR.

Private/public.......whatever it's the same deal in the medical profession. Dominican DOCTORS (I have many friends who went to DR medical schools) make far far far less than what American/Canadian nurses make.

Medicine in general is a bit odd in the DR. You can get a medical degree in about two years, and LITERALLY 3 months into medical school you are slicing up cadavers. As for nurses, you basically need zero training......it's all "on the job".

So in other words, if someone needs a new nurse it's as easy as taking the first level headed female who walks into the room (yes I'd say 99.9% of all Dominican nurses are female)

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
My aunts in Montecrtisti make 8,000/10,000, those are the two who are regular old nurses in the Hospital/Clinica. The other one is a Supervisor in Manzanillo, and makes 12,000, she is a Licienciada (whatever that is.)

Hillbilly: I have a feeling that you know them, at least the Supervisor.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I work in a laarge medical center in Santo Domingo.

That 10 to 12 thousand figure is about right.Most nurses work two jobs to make more money.The nursing supervisor may make 20,000,because she is "connected" to the clinics medical director,or adm.dir.! Not "sexually" but "politically/socially". Most nurses know almost nothing about sterile technique,patient care,or "pharmacology!! I see things on a daily basis that just make me shake my head in disbelief.And,they don't seem to be able to learn anything either! Don't think that you are "worth more" because you are "skilled",nobody really cares!!
Contact "Heart Care International" maybe you can come as a volunteer,and see what I mean!!

MarkusL1

May 3, 2004
I wonder

If nurse are so badly trained, how is there any quality in health care in the DR?
Who takes care of patients after surgery etc?

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
MarkusL1 said:
If nurse are so badly trained, how is there any quality in health care in the DR?
Who takes care of patients after surgery etc?

Don't get seriously hurt in the DR. Healthcare in the DR is what you'd expect, completely hit or miss. It's a 3rd world country.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Post-Op" Care Is Where You Get Into TROUBLE Here!

You get infected during the surgery,and die due to lack of post-op care!
You have the doctor,then no one else!

hugoke01

Dec 31, 2004
Cuban hospitals and Cuban Doctors

I know a few people (Domincans )from villages like Vicente Noble who traveled to Cuba to see doctors or especially to get surgery .. I realize that Americans won't or can't do so (visa) but has any DRI person any experience with it .. and what was the result
Criss Colon said:
You get infected during the surgery,and die due to lack of post-op care!
You have the doctor,then no one else!