spinning hubcap things.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
have you seen those spinning wheel hubcap things that are becoming so popular with us jevitos in santo domingo?

i am thinking of getting some.........has anybody on this board already got them?

if yes....do your neighbours think it is cool or do they think you sell drugs?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This is called

"Pimping up your ride" .....If you live in certain areas of the US or Canada, it is very much "in" among a certain sector of the population.

I don't think you will find them on the Donald's Mercedes or any car driven by a person on this board....Am I wrong?

Invest in a K&N filter and a better exhaust system!...Better set of speakers and so forth...Less showy, better enjoyment...

HB :)

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Hillbilly said:
"Pimping up your ride" .....If you live in certain areas of the US or Canada, it is very much "in" among a certain sector of the population.

I don't think you will find them on the Donald's Mercedes or any car driven by a person on this board....Am I wrong?

Invest in a K&N filter and a better exhaust system!...Better set of speakers and so forth...Less showy, better enjoyment...

HB :)

I'd add "super heavy duty shocks" to Hillbilly's list of appropriate DR ride-pimping expenditures.

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
I am in automotive (PA) and have always considered stuff like this "crap." However, I personally think these are pretty cool looking. Hvae a son about to turn 16 and am going to throw a set of these (along with undercar neon tube kit and assorted other sh#t) on cavalier or neon by the end of the year. To each his own.....

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
It is one of the sillier items to come out lately. The real ones were chrome wheels and were originally manufactured by Davin Wheels but they were very expensive so other companies started making them too at a lower price. I can't say that it's just a certain segment of the population, as HB says, because I live in conservative Republican country here in Virginia and I saw a middle-age, late 40s couple in a Cadillac CTS with spinners on it and a bumper sticker for the Bush/Cheney election ticket so that pretty much canceled that theory for me. I understand why someone would want to put nice rims on their car but why would you want spinners, let alone hubcap spinners? Hook up the interior and engine and keep the outside looking the same, that way it looks less "yummy" to a would-be thief. Besides, the potholes in DR are ridiculous, specially when you get to the corner of Lincoln Ave and that bar 'Camelot'. Makes it a moot point to get spinners when they're gonna look horrible after getting dinged up by potholes and bad drivers....

lsylla01

Aug 10, 2004
He bochinche, you can be original and get the wheels that appear as if they aren't moving instead of the spinners that do move when you stop. I've only seen two persons with those in the last 2 years. They look a lot better on SUV's though. You can matching colors too for your vehicle.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As I said, there is a culture surrounding these things

If I read it right there are maybe two or three variants:
1) Kids who fancy up their cars, usually smaller, Japanese brands, with tons of stuff and then go racing or just hanging. Tis is the "Tuner" crowd.
2) The Chicano community that was perhaps the fore-runner of it all, who take big American sedans and put pretty much the same sort of stuff, adding a bunch of compressors and funny shocks and go bouncing up and down the boulevard(sp?).
3) The "pimp' crowd that used to use pink Caddies with fuzzy pink dice hanging from the rearview mirror. They have more money now, so "pimping up a ride" can be major money.

Nowadays, all three groups are spending a lot of money on their machines...Ever watch Tuner Transformation on the Speed Channel??

And all I want is a K&N air filter for my Chevy Vortec V-6......

HB :D:D

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
bochinche said:
have you seen those spinning wheel hubcap things that are becoming so popular with us jevitos in santo domingo?

if yes....do your neighbours think it is cool or do they think you sell drugs?

I love those spinners, I personnally think they're way cool! No way could I ever spend that kind of money on anything so optional but they definetly get my attention. Sometimes I get a little startled when I see them out of the corner of my eye and I think a car is moving in front of me when it's actually standing still. Never thought that the driver was a drug dealer, just figure that he's got the bucks and likes to spend it on his ride.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
These rims are BADDDDDD!!!!(As in good) And if anyone thinks they are useless, well, it depends where you drive. If you are one of the hevitos who blasts his music right by Diego Colon's house in the Zona Colonial on a Saturday night and everyone is out there with their stereos and disco lights blaring from the back of a souped-up ride, then spinning rims is definitely the move!!!!
(I wonder what Diego must think whenever the hevitos start jammin' so close to his house...)

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
When we were wee lads one of the best things was putting playing cards/any cardboard on the spokes of our bikes. COOL!!! And streamers, too. So what's wrong with the grown up version?

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
They are also called "Sprewells" since they originated out of his auto shop in california

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Conchman said:
Make sure you also have a Mercedes hood ornament on a chain around your neck, the two compliment each other.

You need at least 4 inches of boxer shorts showing out the top of your jeans or the auto-adorno places aren't allowed to sell them to you.