Cigars in Sosua

trishdeyar

Oct 16, 2002
www.hiddenhilltop.com
A friend has asked that we look for some cigars for him - we don't smoke and don't know a lot about them. Is there a reputable place in Sosua that we can go or will the resort have them? Any idea (ball park) how much they are? Some names he gave us were

Arturo Fuente
Ashton
Avo
Cuesta Rey
Davidoff
Griffin

I have no idea what the above is!!! :nervous:

Thanks for your help!....Less then 48 hours for us!

Trish

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
A Good Alternate Location

Trish,
Take a short cab ride West from Sosua to Cafe Cito, just on the other side of Playa Dorada. Tim Hall, owner of Cafe Cito, has some great private label stogies.

To learn more about Tim's smokes, go to www.popreport.com Once there, scroll down a ways and click on the Cuevas & Hermanos link on the lower left side. Here you will find all the info you need to know about his product. Trust me, they are gooooooood.

Happy reading.

SB

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hlywud said:
Just ask Rocky where to get them right in Sosua
Wud,

I just asked Marco this exact question and on Jan 28 he answered:

"I would guess the Super Super on the corner of Pedro Clisante and Calle Ayuntamiento, or at the Cuban cigar shop on Pedro Clisante, just 50 feet East of Britania's pub. I'm not a cigar expert, but those are the two places with the best reputations."

Gregg

oaktown75

Feb 9, 2005
try this place super super

super super seems to have the best price.....an awsome cigar is the Leon Jimmenez #2 decent price of@ $40us/box25?last time i bought them.read the were rated #3 in the world?your freind should enjoy them.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A word

You will not find any of the Arturo Fuente product in the DR. Period

You can find Davidoff and Avo, but they will be as expensive as the US or maybe even Canada.

Product from La Aurora, or, as another poster said, Tim's private labels over at Cafe Cito, are certainly your best bet.

There are NO CUBAN cigars, I mean real ones, on the North Shore, (If someone wants to put money or a beer on this let me know,) , so do not believe what they tell you.

A trip during the week to Santiago ,might be very interesting, since all of those cigars are made here. You can let me know if you are planning on coming here, at least to see the Centro Leon.

Another thing, you should find other major brands, such as Montecristo, H. Upmann, and others, that come from Tabacalera Garc?a, is that nice shop on Pedro Clisante and the corner of the Ayuntamiento street....

HB :D:D:D

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
trishdeyar said:
Any idea (ball park) how much they are?
Tough to put figure on it without knowing what size, ring gauge, or what he's looking for (ie Coronas, Robustos, Churchills, etc.) You could go anywhere from $25 a box (or less) all the way up to $25 (or more) a cigar. Asking the price of a cigar is kind of like asking, "How long is a piece of string?"

To get a general idea of costs & various pricing, try www.jrcigars.com or www.thompsoncigar.com. If anyone knows any better sites, let me know...these are the only 2 that I use.

Last edited:

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
A Reason To Travel

The nice thing about going to Cafe Cito is that you get to see another part of the DR, rather than just staying in your resort location. Tim has a great menu to offer and the food is outstanding.

As far as cigars go, I know he has a sampler box of 5 different Churchills for about $22 USD. I don't know for sure what the price would be for a box of the individual cigars in that sampler. In the sampler you will get 5 different cigars with wrappers that range from black to light. Each is a different smoke.

I hope this helps you with your decision.

SB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just to add more "le?a" to the fire:

You can buy outstanding cigars: #1 rated by Cigar Aficionado, at the store at Centro Le?n, not cheap but the one place in La Romana that I have seen woth Fuente products (in fact all Dominican brands) charges 3X the proce in JR's place in NYC.

The cool thing about Santiago is that you can visit factories nobody hardly sees and get the "real" feel for a cigar operation. (And the prices are lower.)

I thoroughly agree with the two websites posted above, BTW., both are outstanding.

HB:D:D

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The cigar experts in Sosua have the cigar store on the main street very close to the Britania Pub. You can't miss them, they have a huge cigar suspended from the front of the building and a very nice little cofee and drinks bar near the front entrance.

sosuajames

Mar 8, 2005
cigar prices.

oaktown75 said:
super super seems to have the best price.....an awsome cigar is the Leon Jimmenez #2 decent price of@ $40us/box25?last time i bought them.read the were rated #3 in the world?your freind should enjoy them.

when were you there last? a friend of mine wants me to pick him up some #2's and la aurora palmas extras. i would like to get the money befor hand just incase he doesn't come through with the cash when i get back to canada.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
trishdeyar said:
A friend has asked that we look for some cigars for him - we don't smoke and don't know a lot about them. Is there a reputable place in Sosua that we can go or will the resort have them? Any idea (ball park) how much they are? Some names he gave us were

Arturo Fuente
Ashton
Avo
Cuesta Rey
Davidoff
Griffin

Trish
Most of the Dominican brands you mentioned are for export only. If you find them in the DR they have been re-imported (and if done legally, paid import taxes) and are generally more expensive than in the US.

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
trishdeyar said:

Arturo Fuente
Ashton
Avo
Cuesta Rey
Davidoff
Griffin

Trish

Just go to Cabarete and talk to Jacinto (his shop is besides Hotel Kaoba) he will manufacture on the spot a true Cuban Cigar (Jacinto is Cuban) tell him that i did send you for a 30% discount.

oaktown75

Feb 9, 2005
May 04

sosuajames said:
when were you there last? a friend of mine wants me to pick him up some #2's and la aurora palmas extras. i would like to get the money befor hand just incase he doesn't come through with the cash when i get back to canada.

is when i had them picked up for me they were $35-40?US/box.