Drinking in DR

Corporal cod

Jan 12, 2005
I was only wondering but is there a age limit for drinking in the Dominican republic as when i was there i didn't see any evidence of this? If there is what? Also do they have any form of laws about drinking on the streets? Only curious i ain't an alcholic. Honest ;)

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
If there are any laws, they are not posted anywhere for anyone to see.

• You can send your 5-year old to the nearest colmado to buy beer and rum.
  • You can also get Presidente or Soda with your value meal at most fast food restaurants.
  • In general, people will offer a Presidente when you go visit them at their house.
  • You will not be seen as an alcoholic if you decide any corner is good to sit and open your car door while the music blasts and drink some frias with whoever will gather...

I hope this answers your question.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
I was walking down the steet in Santiago once ant a 4 year old kid walked out of a colmado poliching off the end of a Presidente. I guess some guy inside filled up a cup and the rest wouldn't fit. So why not hand the last few swallows to a little kid? I was kind of shocked. Nobody else seemed to be.

la flor

Jan 6, 2005
since this topic came up, I was always curious about there being any laws for drinking and driving- a group of us were in a driving vehicle all drinking presidentes- including the driver, who said nothing would happen.(before anyone attacks- we only had one beer each). are there laws?

borruga

Aug 26, 2004
la flor said:
since this topic came up, I was always curious about there being any laws for drinking and driving- a group of us were in a driving vehicle all drinking presidentes- including the driver, who said nothing would happen.(before anyone attacks- we only had one beer each). are there laws?

I have two bad examples to give you an idea on that subject:

Back in 2000, we got into a car accident outside Navarrete. First thing all Dominicans in the car did, was pour out their cups and throw the bottles out the car.

Just two months ago, I totalled my rental (this time me driving) coming from Higuey to Bavaro. Although I was interrogated plenty by the PN, and I admitted to one or two frias (yeah right), no one believed me. They laughingly considered me a crazy drunk that cant drive on Dominican roads, which didnt keep them from - eventually - issuing the report, and insurance fully covered. My fear of having to take some type of blood test was SERIOUSLY in vain.....

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
I love this topic

Someone asked me the same question and I answered....

Dominican Republic is a country of Fun! Fun! Fun!

Personally I leave the airport, rent my car, and get on the highway, there is a small corner store along the highway before the Toll and I get my Presidente (vestida de novia) and drive home. I even take a gulp in front of the Guardias at the toll booth and never had a problem.

shyt, I remember giving a Highway cop a drink of Johnny Walker Black once.

They have laws against driving with out a seat belt.
They have laws against talking on the cell phone without a hands free divice.
They even have a law against Children not being in a car seat.

BUT THEY STILL DONT HAVE A LAW AGAINST DRINKING AND DRIVING!

They dont even have a law against drinking in public places.

You can walk into a Bank, Supermarket, School, or even a government office with your Presidente in hand.

Cant wait to do that on Wednesday
wepaaaaaa
p1

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
just a quick one here....

Last year while taking a guagua from the capital to B.C......while at the toll booth the guy in the car in front of us jumped out his car with a presidente in his hand to pay the toll booth attendant.........something you would NEVER see here LOL. I have even seen a bank teller with a presidente and cigarette in her hand.....i knew i was in paradise......just wouldnt want to drive at night

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
la flor said:

Here's an example of what living in a country like the US can do to you. Flor is completely paranoid that people may think something is wrong with her for drinking a beer or two while they were in a car...

This is one of the main reasons why I love my country...The freedom you have down there to do whatever you want whenever is just awsome....

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Too bad that freedom is rapidly being eroded by the recent dramatic increase in violent crime. If were not for crime....!

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Corporal cod said:
I was only wondering but is there a age limit for drinking in the Dominican republic as when i was there i didn't see any evidence of this? If there is what? Also do they have any form of laws about drinking on the streets? Only curious i ain't an alcholic. Honest ;)

I have seen some signs at some establishments with signs in the door stating we do not sale alcholic to minors under 18 yrs old. However I have seen 15 year old drinking in bars. No ne seem s to care about the drinking law.
As for your other question you can drink any where, streets, car, beach and anywhere you want. You can also have access to alcohol 24/7. Nice eh!.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I believe the law is that you have to be 18 to drink alcohol but it isn't enforced. Why would it be? There is no way for the police to make money off it unlike say...driving without a seatbelt.

I guess they could raid discos, ID everyone and then "fine" the establishment for serving minors but that would be too much trouble. Pulling people over for seatbelts is much easier. It is ok if they are a minor driving drunk as long as they have a seatbelt on.

Larry

Last edited:

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I remember the first time here

My friend picked me up at the airport and we stopped on the way to Santo Domingo at a Colmado and got beer. I was holding it down. When I took a drink I'd look around first to make sure there were no police. The people in the car were laughing and talking in spanish, which I didn't understand. Finally I asked my friend what was so funny. He told me that it was me they were laughing at. He said I wasn't in Nuevo York any more! I could drink my beer and not worry.

It took me over a year to drink and not think about it. But still when I pass the toll booth or see a cop in the street I get a little nervous. First instinct is to hide the bottle. I have to remember where I am and then all is good again.

But yet I wear a seat belt. A police at an intersection pointed out that my seat belt wasn't on once. I reached up with the hand holding my beer and connected it. He smiled and waved us on.

Love this country for sure!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
suarezn said:
Here's an example of what living in a country like the US can do to you. Flor is completely paranoid that people may think something is wrong with her for drinking a beer or two while they were in a car...

This is one of the main reasons why I love my country...The freedom you have down there to do whatever you want whenever is just awsome....

I hate to sound like a preacher, but this "fun" is saddened too often by the death of innocent people caused by drunk driving accidents. Our family has fallen victim to many of these accidents in the DR.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Thanks...although I love to drink and have fun myself, I will never ever risk anyone else's life by being behind the wheel after a "few innocent drinks". This happens all over the world, but it seems to me that it is more apparent in the DR, due to having no laws to punish drunk drivers. It's completely irresponsible - the sad fact is, the perpetrators almost nearly never pay for their actions. They run people over, and keep driving, for fear of the consequences. If they stop and try to inform the family, the family may become enraged and do a bit of vigilante justice. Drink and drive responsibly, people...could you live with yourself if you killed someone?

CanadianCutie22

Jun 1, 2002
When we were going to Crazy Moon disco they were carding some of the "younger" looking tourists and even denied some of them entry.

chadfisher21

Feb 13, 2005
Laws not enforced

Yes, there is a law for underage drinking. It is 18 I believe, however it is on a very rare occasion that anyone will enforce this law. In every colmodao you walk in they have a sign saying "aqui cumplimos el ley" but nearly all of them will sell to minors. It's mostly because they'd rather not ask questions and they want the money, also I believ it is a way of life here. As for drinking and driving, no there is not law against that. Funny huh?

palenque2012

Jan 29, 2005
This is one of the main reasons why I love my country...The freedom you have down there to do whatever you want whenever is just awsome....[/QUOTE]

That's what I hope to see in the DR when I visit for the first time in a month. Thing is, as i've seen from checking this site in the last few months, marijuana is very taboo. I've also searched the archives and it seems at least on this post board it's no OK. I was hopeing to get a better idea as to why. Does it have more to do with a law that says its not ok to do it in the DR, or is it about running a website, or is it that the DR is truely non-tolerant to marijuana? I'm wondering that's all, is the usage of herb by locals that taboo in the DR? :tired: Sorry :cry:

PS A country so tolerant to drinking couldn't be that untolerant to smoking could it?

Last edited: