For those that are thinking about driving in the DominicanRepublic

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I was happy to receive this from our friend ECH, MD, and I agree that every prospective driver coming to this country should read this:

Interesting Driving Exam in DOMINICAN REPUBLIC TO BRING BACK MEMORIES

THIS WILL EXPLAIN WHY I DO NOT DRIVE IN THE D.R.

DOMINICAN Drivers' Licence Test (English)

Driving in DOMINICAN REPUBLIC is much like going into combat. The first time you likely soil your pants, after that you slowly become numb to the violence and only a few nervous twitches and occasional scream in your sleep is any indicator you've even been there.

In order to improve your survivability on DOMINICAN REPUBLIC roads, the SPG (Society for Preservation of GRINGOS) has commissioned a short test to gage your ability to drive in this country.

1. In DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, you drive

a- On the right

b- On the left

c- Usually on the right

2. You apply the front brake and feel a strong vibration, your motorcycle needs

a- New brakes

b- A new wheel bearing

c- A cool new sticker and a muffler that sounds like soup cans mating.

3. You are in peak hour traffic on a motorcycle. The safest place for your two year old is

a- At home on the sofa

b- On your lap

c- In the arms of one of the 3 adults riding pillion

4. (Males only) The size of your genitalia is determined by

a- DNA

b- A series of weights and pulleys bought from an ad in a dirty magazine

c- How many people you pass on the way to a red light.

5. A red light means

a- Stop

b- Go

c- Watch for cross-traffic

6. A Yellow light means

a- Prepare to stop

b- Nice day isn't it?

7. A green light means

a- Go

b- You still here?

8. Your girlfriend is riding pillion side-saddle with an armload of books. Its important to remember that

a- The weight and balance difference has affected your steering and braking

b- She has a very tenuous balance

c- Rapid acceleration makes girls really hot

9. A sure sign of impotance is

a- Lack of erections

b- Lack of desire

c- Giving people right-of-way

10. You are travelling down the Superhighway in SANTIAGO and up ahead you see a police roadblock where they are strictly checking for drunk drivers, unlicenced drivers, and unregisterd vehicles. This is a sure sign that

a- Road safety is taken very seriously here.

b- Your tax dollars are well spent.

c- You're dreaming. WAKE UP BEFORE YOU CRASH!

ANSWERS:

The answer to all is C.

If you answered a or b to more than three question, please attend one of our "Throwing logic and common sense out the window" seminars before taking a re-test.

If you passed, then congratulations! You now have more driver training than most of your fellow motorists and may drive on any road in DOMINICAN REPUBLIC where they do not check for licences. (Most).

You also have the right to be scared out of your wits that a DOMINICAN licence is probably valid in your own country.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Aristotle

<D

HB:D:D

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
passed

I too passed, but was dissappointed in that there were no questions on the drive in drive out potholes.

Bob K

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Piece of cake. PASS. What about when it rains non stop and the roads are slippery and there are sharp turns? Passed.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Having driven with me on many occassions, you might be surprised to note that I TOO passed. I was sorry not to see the ACTUAL quote in the highway code for the DR (YES folks, they DO actually have one!! Most decent stationers have one getting dusty somewhere in the store!!) that has the following statement:

Red light means ............ you must STOP
Green light means ......... you can GO
Red AND Green light showing means ................ these lights are not working!!

HONEST!!! It is in the Highway Code!!
They don't put in anything about POWER CUTS though?????????

How about the question:
You are approaching an intersection following another car & the driver in front sticks out his arm. Does this mean
a) I am turning right?
b) I am turning left?
c) I am waving to a friend of mine across the street?
d) I am going to do something but I have not made up my mind yet?

Trick question this ........ it actually means I have no beer in my hand right now so somebody please pass me one!! ~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I can attest to the fact that the published DR Highway Code is the best laugh you will get for 15 pesos.........well it was 15 when I bought mine a few years back, probably gone up now.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
can someone teach me autobody work?

hearing about all the safe drivers in the DR im sure that would be a good line of work. ;)i drive in fla where the blue hairs just count to three and go.ny give me 2ft and im in.but first time in rio i almost crapped my pants in taxi going from airport to hotel.these motorcycles hauling butt in between 2 cars in out of traffic and they just beep there horn to let you know there coming(very trusting soles) :nervous: (but you get used to it after a couple of pant changes) :so im sure its the same in the DR. CANT WAIT TO GET A TAXI FROM THE AIRPORT. ;) ;)

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
It takes a little time to figure out the rules of driving here but they do exist. Basically they're the opposite of driving in the states. You have to learn to drive offensively vs. defensively, it's what's expected. If you get to the intersection first, Go! Unless the other guy is going too fast to stop, but if there is any way he can stop in time, you're expected to go, and hope he stops, chances are he will. If you wait, you'll be there all day. Don't expect anyone to take turns or wait for you to go first, it won't happen. Stopping at Red Lights is optional, but watch out for AMET, because it really depends on the mood they're in whether or not they care. Stop signs? Forget about it! no one pays attention to them and if you do you'll certainly get rear-ended. It's true that the motorcycles and scooters show no fear, but it's not because the don't get hurt, or killed, but I've seen more accidents here in the last 6 months than I ever did in NY. Anybody else have some helpfull hints for driving in the DR?

BigDaddy

Jan 16, 2005
Thank you

Jan said:
I've posted it here before. About Dominican drivers. What I saw when I first moved here.
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/13975/index.html
Go to this link and where I have a little story and it says "MORE" hit there and my story is there.

Thanks for reposting this; I hadn't seen it before, so I linked over and laughed so hard I nearly fell out of my chair b/c it is all so true! I haven't had such a good laugh in a long time.