China Town/New Year/Chinese food

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I went to China Town in Santo Domingo tody to get some wasabi and sun flower seeds. They had the paper lanterns in the street but no real activity.

I read that tomorrow, the 13th, is the day they will celebrate. What time will this happen? All day or only in the night?

Also went to a resturant there hoping to get real Food. They had good sticky rice but the veggies had lots to be desired. I wanted tofu and all the water chestnuts and snow peas and bamboo shoots and stuff. Couldn't find a place that had the good stuff.

Where in Santo Domingo do they sell REAL chinese food? Sticky rice in the bowl that you scrape into the mouth. Good firm tofu. All the good veggies with the sause...not gravy. Served with chinese mustard. I'm craving

Almost forgot...dinner served with a pot of tea...can't forget this

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Now I'm hungry

Is there any chance to get lobster Cantonese in a DR, or pepper steak. Or my pushing it thanks. ;)

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Jan, we crossed paths right in the corner, I was with my three youngest (Aroa, Alex, Angela), and I warned you about a toll booth, charging non Chinese ;-) I imagine the celebration is tonight... Anyway, on the way out I stopped at Fat Imports and got some groceries, including a bottle of ginseng rum, and up a block on Duarte we stopped at Dragon House for some sashimi and rice...

Mirador

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Mmmm now im craving egg rolls...

Can someone recommend a clean chinese restaurant in SD? Or would Chinatown be as close to "chinese" food as i'll find here?

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I'm still looking

Even though the place I went to yesterday did have sticky rice it didn't have all the good veggies. Haven't seen a poopo platter here yet(my son used to love those because of the name and cause he could play in the fire).

I have never seen a Dominican eating with chop sticks either.

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Chinese food in Santo Domingo

The best Chinese restaurant in the whole of DR, bar none, is:

Chino de Mariscos
Ave. Sarasota No. 38-A
Tel: 33-5249

It's probably the oldest existing Chinese restaurant in Santo Domingo. Too many others have come and go. This one has survived the test of time and has become an institution among the Chinese-speakers living in DR. Lots of weddings, banquets and special functions specific to the Chinese-speaking community take place here.

However, you'll need to go with a somwhat knowledgeable Chinese-speaker to taste the best food there as many exotic and authentic dishes are strictly made on request off-the-menu. (You will still see Dominicans ordering chow-fan, chop-sui and other "psuedo" Chinese to go with papas fritas while the Chinese order entirely different food, such as steamed whole fish, seafood served in sugarcane basket, soup served in carved melon, stewed king crab...etc) If you see a round-table (seating 10 heads) full of Chinese people, go and have a peek of what they order/eat. If you are brave enough, ask them to write down the names of the dishes (in Chinese) for you so you can ask for them on your own. Many will gladly help you out.

A close 2nd choice is:

Bella Cristal
Roberto Pastoriza No. 458
Tel: 540-2923

The decor is much better here and the food is excellent, though not as good as Chino de Mariscos. The chef here used to work at Chino de Mariscos but left in the late 1990's to set up his own.

Forget all those Jade Express. It's the Chinese version of fast food. (Remember Panda Express back in the USA ?) . Best avoided.

Bon Appetit !!

Jan said:
Where in Santo Domingo do they sell REAL chinese food? Sticky rice in the bowl that you scrape into the mouth. Good firm tofu. All the good veggies with the sause...not gravy. Served with chinese mustard. I'm craving

Almost forgot...dinner served with a pot of tea...can't forget this