Living in a Gated community?

gsupa

Nov 14, 2004
I am wondering what it's like to live in a gated community. Is this more expensive than other options. What do you think are the main advantages/inconvenients? It'd be great to hear from people who live/lived in a gated community and people who chose other options, thanks.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
One motivator for many is the feeling of greater security if they live in a area that has its own security personnel. This does not mean they are cut off from interaction with Dominicans. When out of your house, they are like any other member of the greater community, but when in their house they feel a bit more secure than if they were in an area without security.

Living in the DR is still safer than living many places, but there does seem to be an increase in crime and foreigneres recognize they may be targets--not because they are foreigners but because they have more to steal than the average Dominican. Consequently, a security force for the area, assuming it is competent and trustworthy, is appreciated.

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
General rule of thumb, gated community with administration onsite is perfect for vacation homes. It's less hassle and you know your TV and beds will be there on your next vacation. If for more permanent stay or moving to the DR, I would stay outside a gated community and do my own security. It's also far less expensive to live outside the gated communities for permanent homes.

By the way, I have a vacation home in a gated community but do not live in the DR full time, just 4-6 weeks/yr.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Costs of a gated community run from 100 to 350 US dollars a month on the North Coast from what I have seen. The services you get vary but can include security, street lights, garbage pickup, cable tv, back up electric, Tennis courts, stables, landscaping of common areas and streets and more.

I would consider living in a gated community whether I was here part time or full time because they are generally decent neighborhoods in which to live with like minded people. Some neighborhoods are better than others and I would look into that before I purchased both on these message boards and in person.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Gated communities are also great if you have kids. You can open the door and let them out with a much greater sense of security. In our complex, there are tons of kids, and it's really a paradise for them: friends, swimming pools - it's great. Lots of Dominicans too, not just gringos. - D

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Gated yes

We will be moving to the DR hopefully this summer and to a gated community. We would not have it any other way. It is worth the $200 a month not to worry about the security, garbage, road and common area upkeep. Not to mention the tennis courts and stables to use. Some of our friends there are having trouble keeping, and trusting the individual security gurards they have and are still paying 75 - 100 a month and that is only for nite coverage. In the gated community the security is 24/7

Bob K

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I hate to be the cold voice of reality........but the security guard issue can be as equally precarious if they are employed by the management of the gated community or if they are employed by an individual house owner. It could be more to do with the going rates of pay, the personal integrity of the individual guard & the guards seeing on a daily basis a lifestyle which to them is opulent. The advantage of the gated community in this respect is that there is 'safety in numbers' viz. more than one guard, so one can 'spill the beans' on another who is involved in robbery. I say can because whether they will or not is debateable. On the other side of the coin 'safety in numbers' could just mean more guards involved in a group activity!
This is not to put the wind up anyone........merely to advise that people still take precautions in addition to what is provided by the gated community.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
The prices mentioned here

are for the service fees charged by the community. What this does not tell you are the prices you pay for purchasing or renting properties in these places compared to something similar in a non-gated area.

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Yes, you pay more up front for gated communities but properties tend to keep or increase in value, as the envrionment and development is controlled. You get your money's worth when you resell.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Generally speaking, when you want to sell your house you are better off being in a gated community. More potential buyers want the security offered by a gated community and neighbors of like interest than do those who want to be somewhere on their own.

chadfisher21

Feb 13, 2005
gsupa said:
I am wondering what it's like to live in a gated community. Is this more expensive than other options. What do you think are the main advantages/inconvenients? It'd be great to hear from people who live/lived in a gated community and people who chose other options, thanks.

Living in a gated community has it's advantages and disadvantages. First of all, you have a guardian. Which in most cases this doesn't mean anything other than the fact that he opens the door for you and ours is never on post. But you may find reliable ones, we just weren't lucky. You also have neighbors, but this depends on what kind of neighbors. It's good if you have kids but some of the Dominican people can be very rude and snobby. One thing though, you pay alot more money in maintanance than in a house, even though you don't get much service. An apartment would be nicer if you're looking for safety and convenience. There aren't many differences from living in a gated community and a regular house other than the portero, so I'd reccommend if yiou're looking for somewhere convenient than move into an apartment. Gated communities, you only pay more for horrible service, at least in an apartment you get gas and water paid for and it's safer. Basically, there's no difference from a proyecto cerrado than a house, other than the money.