Guest houses in Santo Domingo....

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
Can anyone provide some advice as to some of the guest houses to stay in. I am visiting in May/June but have never been to Santo Domingo. I am looking for something central where the action is but is in a safe area. Need running water (all the time, and preferably warm-hot....bad experiences in POP), Laundry facilities, furnished and a coulpe of cooking utencils and dishes, I would say electricity but I know that is not promised all the time, and it must be affordable.

Any info anyone can provide will help. It seems that travel agents don't have access to little places and always want to sell you an AI. Thanks.

MG

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
andy_089 said:
http://www.present-itsolutions.com/esmeralda/

This place is now called Gueshouse Esmeralda (Website is not up to date).
It?s in the University area and very nice, central and also safe.
Contact Alexandra for prices. Prices shown on the website may be out of date.

Andy, since you seem to know them well, tell them to update their website. Also, I have done an internet search under that name and nothing comes up. I have also looked for user reviews at Tripadvisor, Travelocity and others and nothing comes up. I know they used to be part of Metur at one time and there is still some confusion about it. What is the difference between Esmeralda and Metur when it comes to comfort, services, prices etc.? I am familiar with neither personally, all I know is what I have read on this site and the comments posted here. You seem to be very familiar with Esmeralda, so please tell us about it. What makes it a better place to stay when visiting Santo Domingo?

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Apart Hotels

MoReNiTa GuApA,

What about Apart Hotels? Is that not an option for you? The best way to describe an Apart Hotel is like a furnished apartment for rent but you have to buy your own food. There are quite a few in Sto.Domingo.

I once stayed at City-Apart Hotel (in 1998) in the Univeristy Zone. The address is Calle Jose Contreras # 28 B, Ciudad Universitaria, Santo Domingo, D. N.

It's very central, near everything, if not just take a cab. The condition of Apart Hotel itself was very clean. The water was always hot, not noisy, basically everything worked all the time. Now this was 7 years ago but still you can use my feedback as a reference. Be careful make sure you specify that you want an apartment because some of the rooms are just like a hotel meaning no cooking facilities. The last week I got switched to a normal room because that was what the reservation clerk wrote down when I made my reservation and I could not be bothered to argue with her since I only had one week left. Overall it was a pleasant exeprience.

Check out this link: www.cityaparthotel.com/why/location.htm

-Lesley D-

MoReNiTa GuApA said:
Can anyone provide some advice as to some of the guest houses to stay in. I am visiting in May/June but have never been to Santo Domingo. I am looking for something central where the action is but is in a safe area. Need running water (all the time, and preferably warm-hot....bad experiences in POP), Laundry facilities, furnished and a coulpe of cooking utencils and dishes, I would say electricity but I know that is not promised all the time, and it must be affordable.

Any info anyone can provide will help. It seems that travel agents don't have access to little places and always want to sell you an AI. Thanks.

MG

Last edited:

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
That's what I meant...APART HOTEL

Thanks for the good advice. I guess what I meant was an Apart hotel. I stayed in a couple of them just off of the Malecon in POP. The only problem is that the water would sometimes shut off or there was no hot water. Other than that they were very nice and had a little kitchenette.

Any other suggestions???

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Length of stay in SD?

Morenita G,

I am not sure what other options you have based on what you said you are looking for. Apart Hotels seem to be your best option (except for the laundry facilities). I don't believe City-Apart Hotel had laundry facilities. Regular hotels day to day are expensive and you still have to eat. I once stayed at a residence for students when I was studying in the capital but I would not recommend that unless studying is on your agenda.

How long are you going to be staying in SD? That could make the world of difference in terms of the suggestions that one can offer. I will keep thinking and hopefully other posters will share their ideas.

-LDG-

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
List of Apart Hotels

Morenita G,

I will send you a list of Apart Hotels in Sto. Domingo that were considered to be very good that was provided to me by a school. The list is from 1998 so I don't want to post it because I have not had time to research if most of them are still in business. So I will send it to you via PM so you can investigate further. Whatever you find out I would be interested to know.

Thanks.

-Lesley D-

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
Great!

Thank you so much. Any info that you could provide would be helpful....Lesley D ...always so helpful.

MG