Health Insurance

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
This question might have been asked in a previous thread, but since I didn't find the answer in the archives I'll ask it again:

I am looking to provide insurance for a Dominican woman and her daughter who live in the Dominican Republic. I am looking to provide U.S. style health insurance for them in the D.R. By U.S. style I mean it pays for Doctor visits (including mental health), operations, hospital stays, etc. It might have a deductible or a co-pay. Hopefully it would be similar to a PPO where the doctor is a part of a network and the doctor would deal with the insurance company directly and all the insured would need to do is pay the deductible or co-pay without filing any claim forms.

Does anyone one of companies that offer this type of insurance? Has anyone had any experience with a claim?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
rellosk said:
This question might have been asked in a previous thread, but since I didn't find the answer in the archives I'll ask it again:

I am looking to provide insurance for a Dominican woman and her daughter who live in the Dominican Republic. I am looking to provide U.S. style health insurance for them in the D.R. By U.S. style I mean it pays for Doctor visits (including mental health), operations, hospital stays, etc. It might have a deductible or a co-pay. Hopefully it would be similar to a PPO where the doctor is a part of a network and the doctor would deal with the insurance company directly and all the insured would need to do is pay the deductible or co-pay without filing any claim forms.

Does anyone one of companies that offer this type of insurance? Has anyone had any experience with a claim?
Contact Sabine Mertes. 885-2660. She is an insurance agent in Sosua, and will know exactly what you need. I have purchased the same for my "adopted" Dominican family. Sabine is honest and intelligent. - D

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I don't have all the details here, but I got 2 health insurance policies. One is for catastrophic problems and gives international coverage up to a million dollars. It cost $1,800 for one adult and 2 children for the year and will pay to have them treated both in the DR or they can be sent to any other country. I believe it kicks in after the first day in the hospital. I also got another policy with coverage for doctor visits in the DR. I can't remember the details, but there are many policies similar to this one, and they are very inexpensive. There has not been one week in the last year where the whole family has been healthy. In addition, my girlfriend had a cyst on her brain. Luckily, it was dissolved with medicine, but had she needed surgery, she would have had the best. - D