Paintings and Car parts

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
This is a bit of an odd mix-but I have a friend that I have brought some car/truck parts to that were a lot less expensive here in Canada, and some not even available in the DR. I was wondering if anyone knew of a possible business idea to partner with in the DR.
Also, wondering if anyone has ever brought back any of the Dominican art to resell here in Canada? Any thoughts or suggestions?
I have researched the archives as best as I could already and am looking for some fresh ideas.
Thanks in advance for your help.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Lechero said:
There is an artist in Nagua that paints beautiful pictures of car parts.
You made me laugh-I hope that others understand that I am wondering about bringing in car parts and bringing out paintings.
That was a good one.

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
"salvage yards"

Junk yards, or what seems to be a growing segment in my area- U-pull it. Interesting idea, never seen one in DR. Any locals heard of these?? Hmmm...

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Is THAT the reason for baggy jeans? Must need a lot of room down there to fit a bus.....

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
The DR roads are full of imported second hand cars and I have not seen a country with so many motor/car/truck parts sellers, they are everywhere. If you would cruise through Santiago or Santo Domingo you will notice the place is full of suppliers of all sorts of car parts, mufflers, tyres, etc.
Or are you talking about a different thing?
I thought about importing paintings to Europe too, but I don't think you can make a living out of it. I think it's mainly an impulsive buy for tourists on holiday. 95% of what is on offer is crap and kitch anyway. Woodcarvings might be a better idea if you want to stay in the dominican art area.
There are some websites that sell dominican/haitian paintings. Do a search on google.
Bartolomeo

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
It is good to see some of us have a sense of humour-baggy jeans and all.

The car parts thing is just a thought-too many options and too many different models-a way to help pay for the vacationing time down there.
I was there over xmas and am going back for two weeks in March-I love it there.
Paintings, I know most are crap-the really talented artists are not "cheap" and are quite accomplished in there craft.
The wood carvings are a good idea, I also thought about the stone carvings but weight and such are an issue with shipping.

I am not out to make a fortune-just enough to pay for my DR habit.
Thanks for the responses so far-keep em coming.

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
jrfkhe- response was to Lambada's post about "pubic" buses (don't know if you got that one). Bartolomeo67 - not new parts. What happens to a car that's in a bad accident? Here in the states a "junkyard" can buy that vehicle from the insurance co. or private owner for approx. 10% of the book value . They then sell all usable parts by the piece, making a profit. Would need a lot of space for an operation like this, plus an "in" with the insurance companies. Large investment? Sure. But also large profit. Is something like this currently being done in DR?

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I ,frankly, haven't seen-------

ANY Dominican "Paintings" that I would spend a peso for, much less buy and try to peddle in another land...

They all remind me of some 9th or 10th grade-school renderings...Very juvenille and without a shred of imagination or skill!

The same is true of other "artistic" endeavors, whether it be wood-carvings, or what.

Soak your money into something that will sell outside the "tourist" milleau. Certainly, no collector with any brains will buy the crap they try to pass off as "ART".

Texas Bill

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Hey Bill although most of what they call Art here is what we would consider trash, I have picked up a few pieces that are nice for very little money. One piece I picked up at a art framer in Puerto Plata and others I picked up at Altos de Chevon which is an art school up the road from Juan Dolio on the other side of the Island.

Escott

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Bring in art to Canada? I know someone that has been doing this for years with Cuba and making a fortune. Not heard of anyone doing it for the DR.

The DR has some very good artists and some are very sort after internationally.

Dolores is the best person to answer this.

On a side note...

Your right Scott, most of what you would call art here is trash.
Then again, you or Bill just don't move in those social circles or spend hardly anytime in Santo Domingo or Santiago. Please don't let your minimal exposure lead you to believe you're qualified to talk about art in the DR.

Below is a list of the better known ones.

ADA BALC?CER
ALBERTO BASS
AMABLE STERLING
AMAYA SALAZAR
ANTONIO GUADALUPE
ANTONIO PRATS VENT?S
AQUILES AZAR
AURELIO GRISANTY
BELKIS RAM?REZ
BISMARK VICTORIA
C?NDIDO BID?
CLARA LEDESMA
CARLOS HINOJOSA
DANILO DE LOS SANTOS
DAR?O SURO
DOMINGO LIZ
DIONISIO BLANCO
DUSTIN MU?OZ
ELSA NU?EZ
ELIGIO PICHARDO
ELVIS AVIL?S
ELIU ALMONTE
FABIO DOM?NGUEZ
GASPAR MARIO CRUZ
HILARIO OLIVO
IN?S TOLENTINO
IVAN TOVAR
JAIME COLSON
JOSE FELIX MOYA
JOS? PERDOMO
JOS? RAMIREZ CONDE
JOS? RINC?N MORA
JUAN MAYI
JOSEP GAUSACHS
JORGE SEVERINO
FERNANDO VARELA
FERNANDO URE?A RIB
FERNANDO PE?A DEFILL?
LUIS MART?NEZ RICHIEZ
MANOLO PASCUAL
ORLANDO MENICUCCI
PAUL GIUDICELLI
RA?L RECIO
ROSA TAVAREZ
SILVANO LORA
QUISQUEYA HENR?QUEZ
SOUCY DE PELLERANO
TONY CAPELLAN
VICENTE PIMENTEL

Last edited:

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Very interesting

I watch the antique roadshow and see some of the value these are worth. And they find them at yard sales or up in an attic from a house they just purchased. So I'm sure it's got to be that way in the DR to. ;)

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
That is quite a list-I will see what I can find out. You have kind of overwhelmed me this much info-you obviously have an interest in the DR art.
Who is Dolores-or did I miss something?
Thank you very much for your time in providing the list.

Are most of these better artists found outside of the tourist area such as Puerta Plata and Cabarete?

How about in Santo Domingo?

Texas Bill-obviously art is an acquired taste-by the way Canadian beef is the best in the world-just a little crazy sometimes.

Pubic buses-no, sorry to say that I didn't get that one-but I am sure to chuckle the next gua gua I take in March!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
jrfkhe said:
That is quite a list-I will see what I can find out. You have kind of overwhelmed me this much info-you obviously have an interest in the DR art.
Not really, just don't like seeing misinformation.

jrfkhe said:
Who is Dolores-or did I miss something?
My partner at DR1. She knows a lot more about art than me, I know nothing :)

jrfkhe said:
Are most of these better artists found outside of the tourist area such as Puerta Plata and Cabarete?

No, very, very few. Most of what you will see in these area is paint by numbers.

jrfkhe said:
How about in Santo Domingo?

Yes, you will need to be hear if your seriously interested in art.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Thank you Robert---

Robert said:
Bring in art to Canada? I know someone that has been doing this for years with Cuba and making a fortune. Not heard of anyone doing it for the DR.

On a side note...

Then again, you just don't move in those social circles or spend hardly anytime in Santo Domingo or Santiago. Please don't let your minimal exposure lead you to believe you're qualified to talk about art in the DR.

ADA BALC?CER
ALBERTO BASS
AMABLE STERLING
AMAYA SALAZAR
ANTONIO GUADALUPE
ANTONIO PRATS VENT?S
AQUILES AZAR
AURELIO GRISANTY
BELKIS RAM?REZ
BISMARK VICTORIA
C?NDIDO BID?
CLARA LEDESMA
CARLOS HINOJOSA
DANILO DE LOS SANTOS
DAR?O SURO
DOMINGO LIZ
DIONISIO BLANCO
DUSTIN MU?OZ
ELSA NU?EZ
ELIGIO PICHARDO
ELVIS AVIL?S
ELIU ALMONTE
FABIO DOM?NGUEZ
GASPAR MARIO CRUZ
HILARIO OLIVO
IN?S TOLENTINO
IVAN TOVAR
JAIME COLSON
JOSE FELIX MOYA
JOS? PERDOMO
JOS? RAMIREZ CONDE
JOS? RINC?N MORA
JUAN MAYI
JOSEP GAUSACHS
JORGE SEVERINO
FERNANDO VARELA
FERNANDO URE?A RIB
FERNANDO PE?A DEFILL?
LUIS MART?NEZ RICHIEZ
MANOLO PASCUAL
ORLANDO MENICUCCI
PAUL GIUDICELLI
RA?L RECIO
ROSA TAVAREZ
SILVANO LORA
QUISQUEYA HENR?QUEZ
SOUCY DE PELLERANO
TONY CAPELLAN
VICENTE PIMENTEL

for pointing out the fact that I'm not qualified to judge Dominican art per se. I do not take offense at that. I agree with you. I suppose my observations of Dominican art have been very confined and narrow. Whatever...
I will, however, try to view some of the works of the artists you mention. It would only be fair to do so in light of my previous post on the subject.

"I shall return"

Texas Bill

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Robert said:

On a side note...

Then again, you just don't move in those social circles or spend hardly anytime in Santo Domingo or Santiago. Please don't let your minimal exposure lead you to believe you're qualified to talk about art in the DR.

ADA BALC?CER
ALBERTO BASS
AMABLE STERLING
AMAYA SALAZAR
ANTONIO GUADALUPE
ANTONIO PRATS VENT?S
AQUILES AZAR
AURELIO GRISANTY
BELKIS RAM?REZ
BISMARK VICTORIA
C?NDIDO BID?
CLARA LEDESMA
CARLOS HINOJOSA
DANILO DE LOS SANTOS
DAR?O SURO
DOMINGO LIZ
DIONISIO BLANCO
DUSTIN MU?OZ
ELSA NU?EZ
ELIGIO PICHARDO
ELVIS AVIL?S
ELIU ALMONTE
FABIO DOM?NGUEZ
GASPAR MARIO CRUZ
HILARIO OLIVO
IN?S TOLENTINO
IVAN TOVAR
JAIME COLSON
JOSE FELIX MOYA
JOS? PERDOMO
JOS? RAMIREZ CONDE
JOS? RINC?N MORA
JUAN MAYI
JOSEP GAUSACHS
JORGE SEVERINO
FERNANDO VARELA
FERNANDO URE?A RIB
FERNANDO PE?A DEFILL?
LUIS MART?NEZ RICHIEZ
MANOLO PASCUAL
ORLANDO MENICUCCI
PAUL GIUDICELLI
RA?L RECIO
ROSA TAVAREZ
SILVANO LORA
QUISQUEYA HENR?QUEZ
SOUCY DE PELLERANO
TONY CAPELLAN
VICENTE PIMENTEL

On this list you forget my favored Dominican painter and a supporter of DR1 thru his web site www.amiama.com Enriquillo Rodriguez Amiama

Have to mention Theodore Chasseriau (1819-1856) born in El Limon Samana Peninsula, one of his masterwork, "The Bath" is display at Louvre (the one in Paris, France).

WebDev

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
WebDev said:
On this list you forget my favored Dominican painter and a supporter of DR1 thru his web site www.amiama.com Enriquillo Rodriguez Amiama

Dolores has a couple of his pieces. Yep, they look good enough to pick off the canvas and eat.

Luzt7Nva.jpg