internet and voip

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I finally have my dsl connection for my new appt. in Tropimar, adjacent to Caribe Campo. It's a wireless hookup, so it's less than perfect, and when the power goes out, it goes out. I know that voip is forbidden, but if I had Vonage, I'd tell you that it's great. A perfect connection and no charge anywhere in the US. I would have a New York City area code for my phone in Sosua. The only problem is that I can't say to people in the US that I'm running out of minutes and have to get off. - D

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
ERICKXSON said:
get an inverterrrrrrrrrrrrrr, IS VONAGE ILEGAL IN THE DR? oh lord! who the hell told you that.

An inverter won't do it. The whole system goes down. I have ups devices in my apartment, but outside is out of my control. I have been reading here that Verizon has worked out a deal to prohibit voip, though I can't imagine how. But boy is it a whole new ballgame. Voip is ridiculous! - D

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
mislarimar said:
How is working with a laptop in the sosua area? Is the wireless connection any good?
It's a wireless dsl connection in my condo complex. I don't use take the laptop to other locations, if that is what you are asking. I am happy with how it is working. It's a good, fast connection.

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
Danny W said:
I finally have my dsl connection for my new appt. in Tropimar, adjacent to Caribe Campo. It's a wireless hookup, so it's less than perfect, and when the power goes out, it goes out. I know that voip is forbidden, but if I had Vonage, I'd tell you that it's great. A perfect connection and no charge anywhere in the US. I would have a New York City area code for my phone in Sosua. The only problem is that I can't say to people in the US that I'm running out of minutes and have to get off. - D

I think you should look at this article about VOIP in DR it just came out in the paper today.

http://www.elcaribecdn.com.do/artic...F5A4C64925F9C00EBC3A824&Seccion=69&titular=ok

aos

Dec 10, 2003
What speed DSL do you have and what's the cost?
I suppose Verizon is the only ISP available.

In your case is the failure point that the wireless router goes down or that the ISP service is interrupted?

If you were running just a regular workstation configured with cat5 cables to your adsl modem and router (no wireless equipment) you ought to easily be able to run a virtual offshore simply by porting your New York telephone number over. When a client phones from Atlanta for instance, your phone rings in the Dominican Republic.

I would not worry about Verizon not liking VOIP. They didn't like it six months ago here in New York now they sell it throughout their network. They are happy that customers purhase it from them rather than the competition.

Adam Spenser

Nov 29, 2002
Vonage

Danny W. Here is the scoop. I have Vonage. For Vonage you must have Flash(DSL). For the lowest price of $14.99 I get 500 free minutes plus all 800, 888, 866,etc. toll free #s are free and are not counted for the 500 free minutes. In the almost 2 years I have had Vonage I never used 500 minutes. Moreover, anyone in the US calling with free cell phone minutes or from area codes the same as mine or from other local areas pay nothing or a pittance. Our friends and relatives love it. No more 809 international calls. If you think you will use more than 500 minutes a month the last time I looked for $24.99 you get unlimited minutes. All this outweighs the one downside that when the power goes out even for a millisecond you lose the call. Big deal I reboot the Flash(DSL) and in less than a minute I am reconnected. I have tried different UPS boxes, but they do not work. Maybe someone can tell me where they got a UPS that works and the make. Finally Vonage is legal in this country.
Adam Spenser

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I don't know what speed my dsl is. The guy in charge of it is German, and his English is very poor, and I probably wouldn't understand it anyway. I pay $30 per month for the dsl - I have a wireless router, and a box from Vonage, and I'm set. Sometimes the connection wavers because of a problem with the wireless, but mostly it's perfect, and I'm saving about $200 per month. I'm in NY, she's in Sosua, and we like to talk. - D

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Robert said:
http://broadvoice.com is also very good.

Scott, Greg uses Vonage, go and see him and have a play with it.
Yes, it comes with a Linksys box that plugs it the DSL router.
I already used it. He insisted I call the states one day when I was there so had a quick chat with my dad.

It was decent but I didn't ask about hardware. Should have. Thanks. Can it be plugged into my wireless router?

aos

Dec 10, 2003
What do you pay for a decent DSL connection in the Dominican Republic?
(In New York for 384k [UP] 3M [down] it's $39. That's US dollars.)

Someone correct me if I am wrong but the occurance of loosing a DSL connection is totally separate from the power authority shutting off power to residents. I am assuming that Verizon in the Dominican Republic has its own seperate persistant grid that never goes down.

Adam Spenser

Nov 29, 2002
Vonage

In addition to having Flash I had to buy from Vonage a digital phone adapter made by Motorola for $90. This device is smaller than the Flash unit. All I can say is Vonage is fantastic and has saved me and all the people who call me a ton of money.
Adam Spenser

aos

Dec 10, 2003
Any using Flash DSL for VOIP
What speed do you get and what do you pay for it ?