Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default internet and voip

I finally have my dsl connection for my new appt. in Tropimar, adjacent to Caribe Campo. It's a wireless hookup, so it's less than perfect, and when the power goes out, it goes out. I know that voip is forbidden, but if I had Vonage, I'd tell you that it's great. A perfect connection and no charge anywhere in the US. I would have a New York City area code for my phone in Sosua. The only problem is that I can't say to people in the US that I'm running out of minutes and have to get off. - D

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

get an inverterrrrrrrrrrrrrr, IS VONAGE ILEGAL IN THE DR? oh lord! who the hell told you that.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ERICKXSON
    get an inverterrrrrrrrrrrrrr, IS VONAGE ILEGAL IN THE DR? oh lord! who the hell told you that.
    An inverter won't do it. The whole system goes down. I have ups devices in my apartment, but outside is out of my control. I have been reading here that Verizon has worked out a deal to prohibit voip, though I can't imagine how. But boy is it a whole new ballgame. Voip is ridiculous! - D

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

How is working with a laptop in the sosua area? Is the wireless connection any good?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mislarimar
    How is working with a laptop in the sosua area? Is the wireless connection any good?
    It's a wireless dsl connection in my condo complex. I don't use take the laptop to other locations, if that is what you are asking. I am happy with how it is working. It's a good, fast connection.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W
    I finally have my dsl connection for my new appt. in Tropimar, adjacent to Caribe Campo. It's a wireless hookup, so it's less than perfect, and when the power goes out, it goes out. I know that voip is forbidden, but if I had Vonage, I'd tell you that it's great. A perfect connection and no charge anywhere in the US. I would have a New York City area code for my phone in Sosua. The only problem is that I can't say to people in the US that I'm running out of minutes and have to get off. - D
    I think you should look at this article about VOIP in DR it just came out in the paper today.

http://www.elcaribecdn.com.do/articu...=69&titular=ok

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

What speed DSL do you have and what's the cost?
    I suppose Verizon is the only ISP available.

In your case is the failure point that the wireless router goes down or that the ISP service is interrupted?

If you were running just a regular workstation configured with cat5 cables to your adsl modem and router (no wireless equipment) you ought to easily be able to run a virtual offshore simply by porting your New York telephone number over. When a client phones from Atlanta for instance, your phone rings in the Dominican Republic.

I would not worry about Verizon not liking VOIP. They didn't like it six months ago here in New York now they sell it throughout their network. They are happy that customers purhase it from them rather than the competition.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Vonage

Danny W. Here is the scoop. I have Vonage. For Vonage you must have Flash(DSL). For the lowest price of $14.99 I get 500 free minutes plus all 800, 888, 866,etc. toll free #s are free and are not counted for the 500 free minutes. In the almost 2 years I have had Vonage I never used 500 minutes. Moreover, anyone in the US calling with free cell phone minutes or from area codes the same as mine or from other local areas pay nothing or a pittance. Our friends and relatives love it. No more 809 international calls. If you think you will use more than 500 minutes a month the last time I looked for $24.99 you get unlimited minutes. All this outweighs the one downside that when the power goes out even for a millisecond you lose the call. Big deal I reboot the Flash(DSL) and in less than a minute I am reconnected. I have tried different UPS boxes, but they do not work. Maybe someone can tell me where they got a UPS that works and the make. Finally Vonage is legal in this country.
    Adam Spenser

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Does Vonage have hardware to go with it?

Escott

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

http://broadvoice.com is also very good.

Scott, Greg uses Vonage, go and see him and have a play with it.
    Yes, it comes with a Linksys box that plugs it the DSL router.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast