visit to the DR in Dec. '99

J

Jan M.

My husband and I are going to stay in Cabarete at the Paraiso Del Sol in December, 1999. I have not been able to find any information about this hotel/resort on the "net". What can you tell me? This is our first visit to the DR. We would also enjoy receiving your recommendations for open-air restaurants. What can you tell us?

We have a goal of visiting as many beaches in the world that we can during our lifetime.Are there any novels depicting life in the DR that you might recommend. We are both voracious readers and love to read about areas that we are visiting.

We are flying out of the DR on Jan. 1, 2000. Does this sound like a responsible or risky decision in your opinion?

We are truly looking forward to the beaches of northern DR, the fresh seafood, rest, relaxation, and meeting other world-beach travelers.

I look forward to your reply.

A-ready-for-a-vacation-middle school principal, Jan M.

T

Tom

We are flying out of the DR on Jan. 1, 2000. Does this sound like a responsible or risky decision in your opinion

The FAA has stated that to expect delays within the domestic US system. They have also issued warnings for extended delays in many countries not prepared for Y2K. I doubt you are in any danger, but your vacation may be extended

Tom

P

pac

i would love to be able to tell you many nice things about cabarette. but my sister and my best friend almost drowned in my very eyes had it not been for a good samaritan that rescued us. the waves in cabarette can be huge. there are some international windsurfing competitions held there every year. be careful. definitly visit sosua. in my opinion it is the one of the most beautiful beaches in d.r. , besides the other beaches are plaged w/ tourists and you will not be able tosee how the natives enjoy the beaches. hotels have such controls over the other beaches that you may not be able to enjoy the services of the small entrepeneurs whom walk around selling shrimps, oysters, drinks, beers. i don't see why returning on the first would be a concern. i don't believe the airport service in d.r. will be any more affected than in the u.s. except i personally would prefer to enjoy the night that marks a turn of century partying as much as possible. i would say if you can, and you've already decided to celebrate in d.r. extend your stay by at least one day, and enjoy yourself

J

Joanne

Many beaches to visit on the north coast--Bergantine a favorite of mine especially for the lobster lunches available--Playa Dorada--full of tourists, loads of water sports-jet skis etc., Long Beach--not really for swimming -Puerto Plata's local beach: Costambar, Cofresi, Maimon. enjoy. We'll cross our fingers for you, but I understand the airports are or will be y2k ready. Stop in and say hello.

D

Dianne Christy

Exactly where is Bergntine in relation to Sosua and Caberete. A lobster lunch sounds wonderful, and do you recommend any specific restaurant?

B

bonita

Re: visit to the DR in Dec. '99/lobster

Hi, theres a nice restaurant in Cabarete for to eat lobster. The name is "La casa del pescador" Tel. 571 0760 greetings bonita

L

lorri

WELL MY FRIEND STAYED IN CABARETTE AND SHE SAID THE BEACHES WERE NICE AND THE HOTEL SHE WAS AT WAS REALLY NICE BUT THERE WASN'T ANY NIGHTLIFE. THAT IT WAS ALOT OF COUPLES AND OLDER PEOPLE. ABOUT SOSUA I HATED IT THE BEACH WAS DIRTY AND YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR EVERYTHING (EVEN TO USE THE WASHROOM). IT WAS OVER CROWDED AND YOU CAN'T EVEN RELAX AS THERE ARE SO MANY VENDORS ON THE BEACH ASKING YOU TO BUY THIS AND BUY THAT OR TO BRAID YOUR HAIR. I WOULD SUGGEST TAKING A TRIP INTO PUERTO PLATA. YOU WILL THINK IT IS WORTH THE DRIVE. IT IS ONLY ABOUT 20-30 MINITUES IF THAT. I CAN TELL YOU SOME GOOD PLACES TO GO IN PUERTO PLATA IF YOU ARE INTERESTED. ALWAYS EVERYONE HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION OF DIFFERENT PLACES. SO FEEL FREE TO E-MAIL ME. I WILL BE IN PUERTO PLATAFOR 3 WEEKS COMING BACK JAN 9TH. IT WILL BE MY 7TH TIME. I LOVE IT. HAVE A GOOD TRIP. LORRI

D

deborah K

lorri and I above do all of our traveling to the dr, as much and as often as possible. I was the friend that stayed in Cabarette. The beach is beautiful but very windy and as your first reponse stated you really should never turn your back on the waves, the undertoe is strong enough, but if a wave knocks you over you are going to want to make sure that you have a swimming buddy to watch over you. Cabarette has some great shops along the main drive and you can choose the fish house or restaurant you want with ease, there are many and the fish does not come any fresher.

Cabarette is a wonderful place to start a journey, if you are feeling adventurous, rent a jeep and travel into the country from Cabarette. I wish i could give some names of the villages that I travelled to but my memory is not that great. If this is your first time to the dr, take a guide with you, I would not recommend that you venture out on your own if one you do not know the language and two if it is your first trip. It has only been within my last 4 or 5 trips that we have begun to venture off of our comfy resort on a regular basis to explore. The dr has so much to offer, and the people that live there are one of the greatest assests it has to offer.

enjoy

J

Joanne

Bergantine is between Sosua and Playa Dorado-you can walk from the Playa Dorado beach to Bergantine 30 minutes or so-depending on how fast you walk--you can take a boat ride from Playa Dorado and arrange for them to pick you up at a specified time(I think 50 pesos-may have changed) or you can go by taxi- we use Techni Taxi and its 70 pesos one way-always make arrangements for a pickup time if you go by taxi because there are no phones in the Bergantine area. As far as restaurants to choose--we go cool box by cool box-check the catch(fresh fish-lobster, etc.) check the price and then decide. These really are not restaurants but most people live there and cook from their kitchens. Some of the horse stables have a VIP trip which includes a stop in bergantine. Hope this helps.

A

Andy

Jan,

When you come to the DR you must see Playa Rincon at the tip of the Samana Peninsula. Its rated as one of the five prettiest beaches in the world,...and it is. E-mail me for further information.

A

Andy

It is perfectly safe to rent a jeep and explore other parts of the island, especially along the north coast highway. Don't worry about not speaking Spanish as many Dominicans understand and speak some English. Take the normal precautions you would when venturing anywhere strange or new to you. There are places in the US that I won't go,...even armed. Use common sense and you shouldn't have any trouble.

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: Best beaches in the world

Andy: "Playa Rincon at the tip of the Samana Peninsula ... is rated as one of the five prettiest beaches in the world ..."

Rated by who? Since there is no official beach rating organization, it seems every magazine, association, group, agency, etc. take it upon themselves to come up with "BEST" lists on beaches in various catagories, all of them about as meaningful as a "best steak house" list.

I have no doubt it is a pretty beach. Of course, what makes a beach "pretty" is really going to vary from person to person.

When I touted the Dominican Republic has having some of the best beaches in the world on a general travel forum, according to Honeymoon Magazine, I was chastised and told that no Caribbean beach makes the top 10 in the world. The talked of Hawaii and various exotic destinations in the South Pacific. I don't know, since I've never been to those places.

Of the beaches I've seen, Punta Cana is the prettiest - soft white sand that is free of debris against clear azure blue waters and studded with coconut palms. Boca Chica's beach at times is also in the running with it's dead calm crystal clear blue-green color shallow water over white to light tan colored sand and deep blue surf breaking beyond the reef.

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch

A

Andy

Jim,

Playa Rincon was rated by Conde Nast Travel Magazine several years ago and in the article that was about the best beaches in the world,was oficially rated as one of the top 5, I was told by another hotel owner here it was ranked #2. Somebody else told me that #1 beach was in Hawaii (probably so as Hawaii has some awesome beaches). The bay here at the tip of the peninsula lies between two majestic capes and Playa Rincon is tucked all the way back in a pocket with mountains on three sides.

You are right when you say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Having first visited the Caribbean some 30 years ago, I can tell you that our bay here in Las Galeras/Playa Rincon is one of the prettiest I've ever seen anywhere, both personally and in photographs. It is still undeveloped, unspoiled beauty,...Mother Nature in all her glory. I was born not 100 yards from the "World's Most Famous Beach" (the 23 mile strand of drivable beach in Florida, Daytona Beach). The criteria that makes that beach famous is not the same that is normally used in judging other beaches. After all, how many beaches can legitimally claim to be the "Birthplace of Speed" and have automobile racing on the beach as one of their main attractions?

When you come to the DR you like to waterski and sit in a beachfront bar, in Boca Chica I think you said in a posting just yesterday. Personally, I find Boca Chica and it's beach to be just another piece of sand, bordered by water on one side and ugliness on the other. It's the kind of place commonly called a tourist trap, and quite possibly, one of the least representative beaches of the beauty of the DR,...Sosua is another. Your opinion may differ.

When you're here shortly, why don't you come up to Las Galeras and take a look around? THEN you can tell people that in your opinion... Cordially, Andy

N

Natasha

Andy,

I kept that issue of Conde Nast Traveler, I think is was Oct. 96. I would have to agree with you 100% about Rincon. It is the most beautiful beach I have seen in all my travels. There is no doubt that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but in the case of Rincon...ah. I don't know which beach in Hawaii was rated #1, but I can tell you that I personally would not rate Hawaiian beaches number 1 because I have my own definition of what makes a beach spectacular. For me it's the texture/color of the sand, the clarity of the water, its depth, ect. I'am sorry, but if I can't see my feet in the water, I don't like the beach. The other thing for me is raw beauty, again I would rate Rincon the best in my book. Hawaiian beaches are TOO manicured for my taste. In all, I have to give it to the Caribbean when it comes to beaches, though I have not seen the Seychelles or Maldives.

I have to agree also on Boca Chica. I don't consider it a beautiful beach, although I like it a lot. It was, and it still is the quintessential beach all city people went to. When I was growing up in the 70's, it was still very pretty. Sadly, mass tourism has taken its toll on Boca Chica, in my opinion.

Natasha

J

Jim Hinsch

Where on the web can we see a representative picture of this famous beach?

A

Andy

Jim,

I wish I knew where we could find an internet picture of Playa Rincon (I assume it's Rincon you wanted the picture of and not that "other" famous beach in Florida). However to do it justice in a photograph it would take a panoramic-type camera to capture the visual impact of a mile and one-half of sweeping beach drenched in coconut palms and ringed by tropical, rainforest-covered mountains.

Also, to further capture the raw beauty (as Natasha so aptly put it), this photograph would need to be taken from a helicopter or from atop one of the mountains at either end. I suspect someone has such a photograph.

Any idea who, readers? Cordially, Andy

M

maria selva

There is also a beautiful beach in DR which is a very well kept secret (thank God), not visited by tourist,or I should say very few, its name is Punta Rusia, it is about 1 hour from Playa Dorada. The road to get there it is very bad and full of holes but when you get to Punta Rusia you forget about the trip. My family keep a beach house over there and believe me it is absolutely beautifull and unspoiled.

T

thomas

Despite the fact that Sosua Beach is packed with vendors, I've always enjoyed it there. If your in the Sosua area and prefer a smaller, more secluded spot, check out Playa Chiquita nearby. Its gorgeous and usually few people. I checked out Las Galeras on my last visit and indeed it was secluded and beautiful. I've heard that Playa Rusia is VERY difficult to get to, but worth the ardous journey. I think just about any of these beaches will blow your mind. There are many gorgeous ones around. Enjoy!

S

Susanne

Well, I haven't been to the Dominican Republic yet, but I decided some time ago to visit Las Galeras in December.

Among the things that helped me make up my mind was the home page (especially the photo gallery) of Club Bonito, one of the hotels in the area. I know that no picture could ever do justice to natural beauty but the pictures on the web site are appealing.

I have decided, however, to stay at Andy's resort: El Marinique. That sounds better to me. Good pictures on that site too.

UNESCO have made a list of the Worlds ten most beautiful beaches, and I know at least one Dominican one is on it. I think it is Punta Cana, though. I can't find the actual list on the World Wide Wait.

By the way - some countries up North have lovely beaches as well. Long stretches of dunes, white sand and no amusement parks or other junk that tends to clutter up beaches in a large part of the World. Denmark features almost 7000 kilometres of coastline, lots of it really nice, but water temperatures would probably give most of you guys the shivers: During the summer they tend to stay around 18 degrees (Celsius). We have had a good summer, though, so temperatures have soared to a high of 23 degrees :)

Regards, Susanne

S

Susanne

I forgot to give the link to El Marinique in Las Galeras. Sorry, but here it is:

www.venturesys.com/elmarinique/resort.shtml

Regards, Susanne