bringing school supplies

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I have tried the search to find a threat i remember about bringing school supplies to donate.

I know where the school is in Boca Chica...so thats not a problem. I am just thinking of what else besides pencils and notebooks that i could bring along. (sorry...laptops aint in my budget).

WHen i thought about this i called my boss (i work for a very large company) and asked if she thought we could put something together so quickly.

I can probably bring a medium to small travel bag with me with quite a bit of stuff....plus i have other friends going...that i a trying to coax into bringing stuff.

Also...one question....will customs give me a problem with a case full of school supplies????

My boss was really cool about trying to work with me on this one.

Thanks in advance...i knwo this is sort of a redunant post...but i couldnt find the threat i was looking for

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
sorry for going off topic.

jrzyguy, you ever stayed at Europa, and are you in the insurance business? (i might've met you)

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
My daughter and I did this a while ago. We got some other things that I knew (from years in the classroom) would also be useful. You could get crayons, colored pencils (don't forget little sharpeners), school scissors, primary paper (and fat pencils for little ones learning to write), art materials (construction paper, water colors, art block paper, finger paints), CHALK (what is available here is terrible), stickers (kids love them) and for older kids compasses, protractors, rulers etc.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
La Profe_1 said:
My daughter and I did this a while ago. We got some other things that I knew (from years in the classroom) would also be useful. You could get crayons, colored pencils (don't forget little sharpeners), school scissors, primary paper (and fat pencils for little ones learning to write), art materials (construction paper, water colors, art block paper, finger paints), CHALK (what is available here is terrible), stickers (kids love them) and for older kids compasses, protractors, rulers etc.

Thanks La Profe! i came up with crayons last night :) WHich is something i could buy on my own...and i like the idea a lot. But now i am thinking of things that my company could dontate in a short period of time (i leave in a WEEK!!!). I talked to my boss last night about this...and she definitely was interested (she' a very religeous woman).

I came up with chalk myself last night.....but hmmmm stickers? i can certainly bring those yellow office stickies....is that what you mean? Paints and stuff are out as i have to go thru customs. Plus i am looking at affordable items that i can bring in bulk.

I am not looking to have a big experience in doing this (no children siging to me etc). I just have read about the idea...and it sounds really great to me.

if worse comes to worse......the kids and teachers will get some basic stuff......when i win the lotto i will be traveling with a bunch of laptops :)

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
I'm Glad This is Catching On !!

For the thread you were looking for search "Boca Chica" and look at 2/5/05 posts. I have brought large suitcases of supplies to the school in Boca Chica three times in the last few years and they are very appreciative. I will not repeat the other post but can add that I have never been asked any questions at customs, but I was prepared with the name of the school and the Director (Principal). Escuela Elvira Mendoza, Profesora Hilda Gutierez,809-523-6045. I have always asked them what they need most (thru an interpreter) and they promise to e-mail me a list, but in true Dominican style I never get the list. I think this is as much the fault of my interpreter friend as it is the schools. I brought writing paper and computer paper (very heavy) ,pens, pencils, chalk, erasers, tape, rulers in millimeters, calculators, math flash cards and markers and a few childrens books in spanish. While they assure me that all of this is much needed and very,very much appreciated, on the latest trip in January they seemed most pleased with the chalk and the flash cards and they expressed interest in any childrens books in spanish and a spanish/english dictionary. I can tell you that the visit to the school is the highlight of my trip and look forward to my next trip to see them in March. Please try to make an appointment so as not to be disruptive to the classes and tell Profesora Gutierez ( a short woman with grey hair) that Senor Brian sends his regards. Good luck and thank you for trying to help.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Stickers

I mean those smiling faces, pictures of animals and flowers and cartoon characters that kids LOVE to get on their corrected papers when they are very good. Even my students now (ages 15-33) love them!

Arve

Oct 13, 2002
Say hi to Hilda. :)

I've been there and when introducing myself and later having some other
classes I recall missing proper and updated maps...

That apart I concentrated on specific families of friends I had there.
Uniforms, bags etc were always a source of worry as they were quite
expensive. Next time I go down there, if ever, I'll ditch my old laptop with
my "family" - they quite fancied both Delta Force 2 and MechWarrior. :)

Furthermore, if one is shamelessly lazy like me, one can consider buying
it in Santo Domingo or elsewhere. That way one save oneself from
a whole lot of carrying and potential hassle in customs. Surely decent
stuff can be found and bought somewhere there???? Then again, perhaps
not. ;)

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
school supplies

jrzyguy: I used to bring large garbage bags full of toys and gifts for the kids in BC area so they could have a sort of Christmas then switched to school supplies. I have since learned that it's more effective to either buy everything in the DR or, even better, there are people both in BC and Sosua who are more directly connected to the real and immediate needs of the children. As an example : $35.00 U.S. will buy books, supplies and a uniform for a child to be able to attend school for one year!! Schools are free for all Dominicans however they must have a uniform and a backpack. Given directly to the family means that the parent must make a decision between food or books. Guess which wins?
Anyway you choose to go is wonderful. Just remember " The gift is in the giving ".
John