Car insurance/RD drivers licence (long)

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
My Wife & I spend some 6 months each year in the DR, escaping the Canadian winters. We have visited the DR for progressively longer periods since our early retirement & fortunately have never had an accident. Recent posts in this Message Board allerted us to the fact that our Canadian Drivers Licences were valid here for only 90 days. Despite the fact that our insurance company demands that we pay for a full year of insurance, it was clear that on the 91st day, our insurance was in default because of our expired drivers licences. To correct this situation we went through the process of paying for the necessary papers at the Bank de Reservas, then to the drivers licence office in Puerto Plata. The crowds there were huge, but we stayed and got our blood groups and eye tests done. We were told to return at 6.30am the next day to put our names on a list so we would not have to wait too long for the theory test which (if passed) would give us a 45 day provisional licence,(valid only for us to drive if accompanied by a person with a full licence.)We returned the next day at 7am to huge crowds and chaotic conditions. After 6hours we did the theory tests, all in Spanish which I don't read well. I passed the test just by sheer luck & guessing. My wife failed and was told to return in 10 days to repeat the test.I will have to return in 45 days for the practical drivers test, despite the fact that between us we have been driving for 100 years. We saw 'illiterate' Dominicans 'taking' the test with constant coaching by a staff person and passing. We could have had a Dominican stand in for us for the theory test
while we stood there to get our picture taken for the card, but decided to do it legally. It was a disturbing and exhausting experience for us, and we are not through it all yet. Canadian Bob

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Did you check to see if the Canadian embassy will validate your Canadian license? If they do, you could have avoided all that pain.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Well since you chose to do it the Legal way why bitch about it?

I chose to have the head of Motor Vehicles take my test for me and I passed:)

I have a valid US License so see no reason why I should go through this trouble regardless if it was legal or not. It is quite evident to me that Dominicans buy their licenses to drive in Sears or the local Calmado because this is the most uncivilized country I have ever been to in regard to drivers.

I know Robbie will disagree with me again but what else is new? I know, I don't see the "Real Dominicans" driving ever because I don't socialize with them:)

Now I wonder if the "Real Dominicans" stand in hot sweaty lines like you did? It would be interesting to hear an honest answer but...

Adam Spenser

Nov 29, 2002
Car Insurance/RD Driver's License

I went into the archives on this subject #235 and it answered most questions. However, it did not answer the following:
1. I have a valid US license and a one year visa,which I renew every year and which is not a work visa or any other exotic visa, just a visa for a year rather than 90 days. Therefore, does the 90 day requirement for a foreign license apply to me?

2. A DR corporation owns my car. I have been assured by my lawyer and broker that the insurance policy in the name of the corporation covers the car from year to year regardless of who drives it. Does any lawyer out there disagree?

If the answers to the above questions are no and no some of you may find a better way then waiting on lines for hours, or paying people to stand in for you, or hoping the police can not read dates on licenses, etc. etc.

Adam Spenser

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Robert said:
Did you check to see if the Canadian embassy will validate your Canadian license? If they do, you could have avoided all that pain.
Thank you for your input. Yes, I did check with the Canadian Consul in Puerto Plata before going to the Licence office. They catagorically stated that they will NOT validate our Canadian licences. They also advised us to go through the Dominican 'procedure'. Canadian Bob.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What "Value" Do You place On your "Time"?????????

What "Value" do you place on your "Time"????????

My "Time" is "in-valuable"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have more money than time,so I "pay" others to use their time,(ie.wait in lines)while I save mine!!!
"That",is the true "Value" of money!!

In the DR,more than any other place I know of,except maybe Thailand!

"Money Talks,& "Bull$hit" walks"!!!

I'm with the "Guy from NewYork"!

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I was under the impression you have to have resident status in order to get a license....is that correct?

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Criss Colon said:
What "Value" do you place on your "Time"????????

My "Time" is "in-valuable"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have more money than time,so I "pay" others to use their time,(ie.wait in lines)while I save mine!!!
"That",is the true "Value" of money!!

In the DR,more than any other place I know of,except maybe Thailand!

"Money Talks,& "Bull$hit" walks"!!!

I'm with the "Guy from NewYork"!
Hi Chris! We haven't met, otherwise you would know that my time is also invaluable... So is my insurance protection. I am not like some jerks who yank out their wallet to pay off someone who has run into me, or vice versa.
Have an accident-free day! Canadian Bob.