Thread: Ground transportation from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ground transportation from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana?

How can I get from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana--are there trains/buses or should I try renting a car? How are the roads? I am thinking of attending a conference in P.C. but I cant afford the exorbitant flights that go directly to PC from NY. Thanks.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bus

Take the bus. No trains available.
    Busses are cheap, air-conditioned, in good condition and have regular departures.

God luck!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

There are four trips a day by express bus from Av. Maximo Gomez in Sto Dgo to Bavaro - Punta Cana. There are trips on the hour every hour from Parque Enriqullo Stp Dgo to Higuey (Higuey = 30 miles 45 km from Punta Cana) and then you can take the local bus to Punta Cana.

When and where is the conference? = will help narrow down your transport options.

Regards
    PJT

Post Thanks / Like

The conference is on March 13, at some place in Punta Cana, I'm not 100 percent sure of the hotel.
    I'm down w. taking the bus, but do you think it would be ok for a small child (I want to take my daughter on the trip so she can meet relatives in the capital before the conference, so ideally I'd like to travel in a way that's not too bumpy/lurchy, for her sake.)

Thanks for all the advice, it's very helpful.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The trip with the least hassle is the express coach from Maximo Gomez direct to Punta Cana. The coaches are comfortable, with underbelly luggage compartments, a/c, and movies. They depart at 7 - 10 am and 2 - 4 pm daily. The cost is about RD$ 210. The trip is about 3 - 4 hrs.

Regards,
    PJT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PJT
    The trip with the least hassle is the express coach from Maximo Gomez direct to Punta Cana. The coaches are comfortable, with underbelly luggage compartments, a/c, and movies. They depart at 7 - 10 am and 2 - 4 pm daily. The cost is about RD$ 210. The trip is about 3 - 4 hrs.

Regards,
    PJT

I am in the same situation. Is this a public bus or a tour bus that I can make reservations with?

Thanks!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No reservations

Quote Originally Posted by quarrie7
    I am in the same situation. Is this a public bus or a tour bus that I can make reservations with?

Thanks!
    These are public buses, no reservations needed or taken. Purchase for seating is on site, first come - first served basis. One would be advised to arrive no later than a half hour before departure time because seats fill quickly. Holidays, holiday weekends, and special occasions will see seats filling quickly.

Regards,
    PJT