English radio station in Sosua Yeah!!

jetfuel

Mar 4, 2004
I don?t know if anyone?s posted about this new radio station yet but i have a few things i?d like to share since i?m pretty sure the owners or DJ?s read this forum from time to time.

First of all IT?S ABOUT TIME!!! Good work.

I?ve been listening for a couple months now and i live in Puerto Plata. I?d just like to say that sometimes your signal doens?t come in, it gets taken over by that other radio station with half english half spanish, i forget what it?s called but it sucks.

Check your downloads before playing them, so many chopped songs, i can?t believe you guys are ?pros?.

You guys claim to be a rock station, i might be old fashioned but in my world Whitney Houston, Gloria Estefan, Britney Spears, Ashley Simpson, Eminen (that i love BTW) have nothing to do with rock.

I know G?N?R is considered rock but chill a little on them, i mean 10-20 songs a day, everyday seems obsessive.

And since your downloading songs anyways why always play the same ones over and over, there?s so much good stuff out there.

A blues hour or 2 would be awesome, i know you mix it up but to hear Ashley Simpson then a cool blues track just seems unnatural.

Your advertising sounds too high school, the joker?s lounge, where the bad boys come to play...give me a break. And that Barbarino dude that wants us to buy land in cities he can?t even pronounce seems unprofessional. The one about the best burgers in the world where we have to figure out where he is....come on a scavenger hunt for burgers? The one i know i?ll never step foot in is that dolphin rock bar, with the dolphin chirps or whatever doesn?t really give it that rock edge!

What about telling us locals about other cool watering holes or where we can score great deals, even if they don?t advertise with you....should be a liittle educational about the country and surroundings, not just businesses that pay you. I?m sure if you do it for free they would eventually come around when they find out they heard about on ?Roxy 92.5,? by a professional advertising team, by the way cool name.

You guys are close but still have work to do, i?m just glad someone had the guts to do it.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I think they're great.. we sometimes get their signal right across the mountain on the way to Santiago up to the crossroads where you hang left... So nice to listen to Rock sometimes, even though some of it is kinda old... But I also agree a little blues would be welcome. (Would it still be an English station then?)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I actually complained about some of the music one DJ plays and he said that they are aiming for the Kite surfing dudes with the lousy music. I just wonder if their advertisers want to aim at a broke crowd that won't supprot them.

A bit of blues would rock my boat also and it would be far better than FUK this and FUK that songs that they play constantly.

Perhaps once out of its infancy they will have better programming.

Escott

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Roxy?

That would be Rubi my friend. Guess your reception is pretty poor? ;)

I've never, ever played Guns N Roses and only played AC/DC once because my guest begged me. Listen in on a Sunday morning 10-12 'ish.

If you want different music played then email or telephone and ask for it. The DJ's are there for you - not themselves, they are probably just lacking inspiration at the time, a call from a listener goes a long way.

Simon

- still searching for Heinz baked beans.

jwampler

Feb 5, 2004
92.5 Rubi Radio is on the Net

I found it at the following URL:

http://www.sosualife.com/RUBI92-5FM.htm

Simply scroll down to where it says-Listen Now. In my case I also had to down load an audio software program, but it was a very fast download-less than a minute on roadrunner. They walked me right through it. Very easy.

It was great listening and the music was enjoyable. Im sure I'll be a regular listener. Loved the British humor this morning. Absolutely spiffing as they said. heheheh Check it out.

Jack

jetfuel

Mar 4, 2004
Oh yeah it is Rubi, not Roxy (hehehe)

People aren?t really complaining they just wish the DJ?s would be a little more inspired.

You know DJ?s used to be the ones that would make you discover awesome bands and new songs you wouldn?t have heard on your own. Get DJs that love music and disocering bands, not just eating lunch and leaving the station with no one in there and telling us that on the air!!! THat was baD

Here?s a couple bands that rock:

NIN
Rage Against the Machine (without the apologies)
Prodigy
Muddy Waters
Howlin?Wolf
Black Flag
MArilyn Manson (not just beautiful people)
Colin JAmes
Beer Dawgs
Atari Teenage Riot
Morcheeba (i know i know but they?re good)
Mudcat Blues
Original Voodoo Chili
Psycho Blues Band
Two Bones and a Pick
Bessie Smith
John Lee Hooker

But now at least you?ve found out that playing some blues would be beneficial to all.

Let?s start with that, and if you do start having a blues hour it should be 2 hours long and it should be 10pm, right now that slot needs a major overhaul.
The daytime DJ?s are pretty decent but at night.........i?d rather not say. BTW you know thwe owner of Rocky?s in Sosua, he knows all about blues get him to DJ, i don?t know if he would do it but at least i?m sure he?d be good!

I?ll keep listening and thanks for replying.

Good luck to all

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
JDJones said:
Hee Hee, it's a nice enough station, but does anybody really believe they have the following people scheduled to visit their station for an interview???

The list at the moment.....

Gene Simmons - in the studio
Paris Hilton - in the studio
Marshall Mathers (EMINEM) - in the studio
Kid Rock & Uncle Cracker - in the studio
Ozzy Osbourne - on the phone

hehehe, they just gave you a mention.
So you want to go on air live?

rubi92fm

Dec 26, 2004
the answers to your questions

listen folks, the playlists are generated by caller requests. all my dj's are required to fill out request logs. the playlists are generated with several factors involved.....first being the charts in the us. we play the tracks that are getting the most air play in the top markets in the us as a base for the daily lists. added to that are the top 20 requests that our devoted listeners call in and ask for. then the dj's add their picks if there is room left in their shows. so if you dont agree with the dj picks...dont complain, just call in some requests. the dj's are here to serve YOU the listeners. 571-3351 or just go to www.rubi92fm.com and email your request, it pops up right on the dj screen and they will get it on right away. as for the download, just click on "select another player" and click on "windows media player" and you dont have to download anything....thanks for listening.

oh and as far as the free advertising, i dont get free electric, free rent, free dj,s, free computers, free internet, free phones, free paper, free pens, or even free paperclips. so unfortunatly i cant give free advertising. but the business world here on the north coast is coming around. and as for the actual copy for the ads, please feel free to come in and give it a shot producing. befor this venture i had never been involved in the radio business, so its a learn as you go program for all of us here. and hats off to my british ex-pat dj's who are striving hard to learn as much as they can about american rock and roll.

rage against the machine? youve got to be kidding.....

jwampler

Feb 5, 2004
Great Station

I really enjoyed listening to Rubi and will continue to do so. I thought it was great!!! As for all the celebrities, well you should hear some of the things they make up here in Tampa. Obviously, Rubi is having fun and should make for even more listening.

Keep up the good work. Finally, I guess my age is showing as I didnt recognize any of the bands mentioned in a previous post. Whatever happened to the Wooly Buly hehehe.

Jack

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I like the station too! It is always nice to listen to music I recognize! And thanks for telling us how it works for you at the station.

Now if you want some free paper clips - just PM me - I'm glad to drop some off....LOL

I've bookmarked the site and will send in my requests! I'd love some good old Motown music - the older stuff.....

jetfuel

Mar 4, 2004
Rubi..... chill

To Rubi, don?t get your pantyhose in a knot, they?re just suggestions. It?s not like i wrote that you guys suck and don?t know anything and couldn?t possibly improve.

But as you wrote yourself you don?t know anything about radio and your brits about american rock but you are learning.

Don?t give me grief about Rage Against The Machine when you got Ashley Simpson, Britney Spears, Gloria Estefan for god?s sake, what?s next.... Celine Dion!!!!

Don?t get upset because you don?t get anything for free, maybe if you would give you would receive........damn now you got me talking like a Christian...bluhhhh

Since you pay for everything how much do you pay your commercial producers......maybe i?d be interested, i?ve got 6 years mixing and recording bands and i?ve produced one.

Party_Line

Oct 27, 2003
Hi I was just wondering what was involved in starting a Radio Station in the Dr? I've been wanting to start one here in the US but with the FCC Rules it's impossible and I may be moving to the DR and was just wondering if it would be easier there? Thanks!

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Baked Beans You Say???????

Simon & Nicky said:
- still searching for Heinz baked beans.

May I suggest that you call "Boat" Colin at 1-449-1819. Besides being the man to see for pool supplies, he can hook you up with baked beans!!!!!!

Buzzard

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Call Rubi

Party_Line said:
Hi I was just wondering what was involved in starting a Radio Station in the Dr? I've been wanting to start one here in the US but with the FCC Rules it's impossible and I may be moving to the DR and was just wondering if it would be easier there? Thanks!

You should call this station because I think it's For Sale the one in Sosua I mean