cell phone rental

pacito

Jul 28, 2004
I will have 2 friends join me in Sto Domingo shortly.
I would like to rent 2 cell phones for them for 10 days, loading each with
a few 100's pesos.

Does anyone know which company offers this service and for how much?

I am with Centennial and I don't think I can do that with them.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
pacito said:
I will have 2 friends join me in Sto Domingo shortly.
I would like to rent 2 cell phones for them for 10 days, loading each with
a few 100's pesos.

Does anyone know which company offers this service and for how much?

I am with Centennial and I don't think I can do that with them.

Just buy cheap Orange ones for 10 days, if you can find rentals they will cost more to rent than to buy as long as you stick to basic phones and not cameras and such.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
ricktoronto said:
Just buy cheap Orange ones for 10 days, if you can find rentals they will cost more to rent than to buy as long as you stick to basic phones and not cameras and such.

True. It will be cheaper to buy a prepaid phone's from Orange stores. New phones activated with $100 RD pesos talk time go for $990.00 RD pesos ($36.00 US). Rental would cost you around $50 us per week plus deposit. Better to buy one. When you finish you can keep it for next time or sell it to other tourists or donate it. Whatever you feel like.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:
Can you list the location of Orange stores please.

It is hard not to find an Orange store in the DR. Maybe a shorter list of where they aren't.

Costalunga was renting cells and the price was appalling vs. the cost of a new phone. The only thing generally dumber than renting one is bringing your own and roaming at $5 a minute.

I have been away so long I bet the Pollophone has lost its number with Codetel.

New Bellsouth Qualcomm 3G CDMA phones are US$25 in Managua. Amazingly tiny and good digital.

ace

Apr 11, 2004
pacito said:
Thanks for the help.
I live in Sto Domingo and will look for an Orange store!
You will need a passport to activate.I bought a new phone in pop with 100 min. for $25.00 in November

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Everywhere!

You can also go to just about any Supermercado and you will find an Orange stand inside.

Also, if you have any old cell phones, there's a big chance that it can be activated in the DR and the activation with about 150 pesos worth of minutes is about 200-300 pesos.