Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question cell phone rental

    I will have 2 friends join me in Sto Domingo shortly.
    I would like to rent 2 cell phones for them for 10 days, loading each with
    a few 100's pesos.

    Does anyone know which company offers this service and for how much?

    I am with Centennial and I don't think I can do that with them.

  2. #2
    Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    4,796
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pacito
    I will have 2 friends join me in Sto Domingo shortly.
    I would like to rent 2 cell phones for them for 10 days, loading each with
    a few 100's pesos.

    Does anyone know which company offers this service and for how much?

    I am with Centennial and I don't think I can do that with them.
    Just buy cheap Orange ones for 10 days, if you can find rentals they will cost more to rent than to buy as long as you stick to basic phones and not cameras and such.

  3. #3
    Mr. Main Event
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    771
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ricktoronto
    Just buy cheap Orange ones for 10 days, if you can find rentals they will cost more to rent than to buy as long as you stick to basic phones and not cameras and such.
    True. It will be cheaper to buy a prepaid phone's from Orange stores. New phones activated with $100 RD pesos talk time go for $990.00 RD pesos ($36.00 US). Rental would cost you around $50 us per week plus deposit. Better to buy one. When you finish you can keep it for next time or sell it to other tourists or donate it. Whatever you feel like.

  4. #4
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    16,410
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Can you list the location of Orange stores please.

  5. #5
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    294
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    http://www.orange.com.do/

    Calle Pedro Clisante #5, Sosua
    Hotel Caoba, Internet Cafe, Entrada Cabarete
    Av. 27 de Febrero # 35, Puerto Plata
    Calle Separacion, Plaza Caribe Tours, Puerto Plata

  6. #6
    Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    4,796
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anna Coniglio
    Can you list the location of Orange stores please.
    It is hard not to find an Orange store in the DR. Maybe a shorter list of where they aren't.

    Costalunga was renting cells and the price was appalling vs. the cost of a new phone. The only thing generally dumber than renting one is bringing your own and roaming at $5 a minute.

    I have been away so long I bet the Pollophone has lost its number with Codetel.

    New Bellsouth Qualcomm 3G CDMA phones are US$25 in Managua. Amazingly tiny and good digital.

  7. #7
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anna Coniglio
    Can you list the location of Orange stores please.
    Thanks for the help.
    I live in Sto Domingo and will look for an Orange store!

  8. #8
    Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    80
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pacito
    Thanks for the help.
    I live in Sto Domingo and will look for an Orange store!
    You will need a passport to activate.I bought a new phone in pop with 100 min. for $25.00 in November

  9. #9
    I didn't last long...
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    5,136
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Everywhere!

    You can also go to just about any Supermercado and you will find an Orange stand inside.

    Also, if you have any old cell phones, there's a big chance that it can be activated in the DR and the activation with about 150 pesos worth of minutes is about 200-300 pesos.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •