Music in the dominican

seksek15

Sep 30, 2004
Hi guys,
I frequently visit the dominican -- and have come to love the music there...especially the stuff that they play in the discos. Can anybody name a few artists that are "hot" now. I have a daddy yankee CD, and aventua -- but I want some more.
One more thing -- there is this song that they play a lot in the discos...and everybody goes nuts -- Its more chanting than singing...but they guys say one thing...and the girls say another...and I know its something dirty. Can anyone help me out with that one.
Thanks

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Which Dominican do you visit frequently? A guy or a girl?

You might try HTV or ritmoson latina web sites for the top 50 lists. Including unfortunately that Gasolina song which is a piece of dog crap akin to the Macarena and that annoying song by Las Ketchup last year.

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
Mas Musica

I think the song that you are talking about might be Gasolina by daddy Yankee.

Some of my Favorites are :
Merengue:

EL JEFERY
Aguakate
Tono Rosario
Oro Duro

Bachata:

Monchy & Alexandra
Luis Vargas
Joe Veras
Raulin Rodriguez
ALEX BELLO (mas popular en canada)

If you like reggaeton also try:

Wisin
Don Omar
Ivy Queen

They might not all be recent but are really good!!

Try and let me know.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
To?o Rosario

Morenita G,

I see you have To?o Rosario on your list. Good for you! If you have his latest album "Resistir?" I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am. Especially the first song "El reloj" and some other beautiful ones are: Sombras nada m?s (a remake),Te amar? & Resistir? but the whole album is awesome.

I had a question regarding Alex Bello but I answered it myself. Sounds like local talent.

-Lesley D-

Last edited:

seksek15

Sep 30, 2004
songs

Thanks so much for all of the songs -- and I go visit my friend that moved there from the US -- I dont go to visit the dominican guys...I know what they're all about. But anyway -- thanks for all of the reply's. But that song that Im trying to figure out the name of -- its definately NOT gasollina...I can see how you would think so given my discription.
When they play it -- all the guys form a circle around the girls...and its like aki aki aki ah....azuca.. ha ha ha I actually have no idea what they're saying -- but someone told me it was I want to eat your pussy in spanish....or something along those lines.
Anyway -- thanks for the songs...Im gonna download some right now.

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
Lesley D said:
Morenita G,

I see you have To?o Rosario on your list. Good for you! If you have his latest album "Resistir?" I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am. Especially the first song "El reloj" and some other beautiful ones are: Sombras nada m?s (a remake),Te amar? & Resistir? but the whole album is awesome.

I had a question regarding Alex Bello but I answered it myself. Sounds like local talent.

-Lesley D-

Lesley D- I love that song "Resistire". I do not have his new CD but will look for it when I go back to the Dominican. It is hard to get bachata and merengue cds here (I'm just too lazy to go downtown -Toronto). I like to buy the originals but looks like I have some downloading to do.

Seksek15- I have no idea of what song you are talking about. I'll ask some of my friends that are more into the Reggaeton. Maybe they'll know.

MG

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Morenita G,

I will send you a PM regarding places where you can buy cds. I do not like pirated music either and in the DR "el mercado negro" is much more rampant. I don't like REGGAETON at all so I can't help you there. When you go to SD I recommend Musicalia or Karen CD store in La Zona Colonial.(the prices at Karen CD store are high therefore compare first).

-Lesley D-

MoReNiTa GuApA said:
Lesley D- I love that song "Resistire". I do not have his new CD but will look for it when I go back to the Dominican. It is hard to get bachata and merengue cds here (I'm just too lazy to go downtown -Toronto). I like to buy the originals but looks like I have some downloading to do.

Seksek15- I have no idea of what song you are talking about. I'll ask some of my friends that are more into the Reggaeton. Maybe they'll know.

MG

Last edited:

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Frank Reyes walked off with 3 or 4 Casandra music awards last night. I have his CD its pretty good. Not really Disco, but is/was a very popular artist this year.
TEHAMA

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
It's bachata....

TEHAMA,

No surprise to me. He deserves it. His music is what I call "one of kind bachata". I am assuming this is for is most recent cd "Cuando se quiere se puede". I will make sure I read about it in the newspaper.

Thanks.

-Lesley D-

TEHAMA said:
Frank Reyes walked off with 3 or 4 Casandra music awards last night. I have his CD its pretty good. Not really Disco, but is/was a very popular artist this year.
TEHAMA

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Lesley D,

He's good I met him he played his demo song for me and a friend in her car lol! I like his style a lot he sounds great live too lol!
He's seems like a cool guy as well!! He's been performing around TO many times to promote!!

Lesley D said:
MG,

I looked at the link and.....I tend not to have an ear for local talent. What do you think?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I am very picky with local bands

Music,

Thanks for the feedback but to tell you truth "local talent" is where I find I become really picky with bachata. Hopefully, I can explain my point of view with sense. As you know there are various styles of bachata. If it's the so-called "chopo" style and I know what to expect it does not bother me. If it's the cross over artist style meaning merengue artists such as Los Toros Band or Alex Bueno in bachata I enjoy it too. However, local talent in my opinion always sounds worse than the two above especially a debut album. It could be because the artist has not really chosen a style to emulate thus not having one in particular and as result I just find I don't like the music. Personally if all bachata sounded like Frank Reyes' music, Alex Bueno's or Los Toros Band it would have much better acceptance. The only local band thus far with a good reputation that I know of and has even ascertained contracts outside of Canada is Dominicanada show band. They have their stuff together and don't sound "rough" not to mention they seem to always put on a good show.

-Lesley D-

Music said:
Lesley D,

He's good I met him he played his demo song for me and a friend in her car lol! I like his style a lot he sounds great live too lol!
He's seems like a cool guy as well!! He's been performing around TO many times to promote!!

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Lesley,

Oh I forgot to tell you I bought tons of CD's from the DR on my trip lol! Thanks for your help.
I love the Frank Reyes it's great but I'm not surprised becasue he's awesome!

Yes I understand what your saying sometimes local bands are okay but don't have it all. I do agree it is hard for a new artist to find there style and make it there own. I have a close friend who is a singer and she's tried many styles and it's hard to find your own.
I love Los Toros Band have that CD as well lol!

I think we've spoke before about this but there are some Bachata songs that just give me that feeling inside I can feel the music and I go crazy lol! :classic:

Lesley D said:
Music,

Thanks for the feedback but to tell you truth "local talent" is where I find I become really picky with bachata. Hopefully, I can explain my point of view with sense. As you know there are various styles of bachata. If it's the so-called "chopo" style and I know what to expect it does not bother me. If it's the cross over artist style meaning merengue artists such as Los Toros Band or Alex Bueno in bachata I enjoy it too. However, local talent in my opinion always sounds worse than the two above especially a debut album. It could be because the artist has not really chosen a style to emulate thus not having one in particular and as result I just find I don't like the music. Personally if all bachata sounded like Frank Reyes' music, Alex Bueno's or Los Toros Band it would have much better acceptance. The only local band thus far with a good reputation that I know of and has even ascertained contracts outside of Canada is Dominicanada show band. They have their stuff together and don't sound "rough" not to mention they seem to always put on a good show.

-Lesley D-

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Music

Glad to know you understand my point of view. Local bands (unless they are really good like Dominicanada) just don't get my attention and I know everyone has to start somewhere but that's the job of the promoter, musical director and the record label. As I mentioned in my post above if I know what to expect, I will enjoy myself regardless of the type bachata but when local bands don't have minimal experience or are fresh on the market I find I lose interest.

As well, it's a pleasure to know that you are enjoying the cds you purchased in the DR. Life is short so live it to the fullest.

-Lesley D-