ADD: Anti-Dominicano Days

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
I'm not sure if its just me, but I wanted to know if anyone else experiences what I am calling ADD (Anti-Dominicano Days). It seems like every week- week and half, I go through this. They really make me sick and I don't want to see or even hear a Dominican. I know it might sound harsh, but I get tired and fed-up with all the mind games, trickery, and straight-out BS which they obviously never seem to weary from.

During these days about the only Dominican I feel I could tolerate is a cashier. I put my purchases on the counter she/he rings them up, the price is there, I pay and go. Anything beyond that is subject to fraud, lies and deceit.

People say,"oh they're poor and desperate." while that may be true I tend to simply think of them as greedy. I tip my Security every week. Rather generously I think, considering many herein the building do not. This has paid off for me through small unrequested favors. But why would they jeopardize their jobs to do a cat and mouse game with the gas tanks for a couple of hundred more pesos? I admit. I would not make a fuss over couple of hundred pesos (and I think they know this), well my neighbor didn't take it as lightly.

Its 5 AM... and yes I am up venting over my ADD and pondering what new piece of Dominican Bullshtt will this new day bring.
TEHAMA

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Well now, who pee-peed in your wheaties this morning ;) I've experienced road rage, seems like you suffering from DR Rage. It's not so bad. We get what we call Dominican Days, and that is when three things in a row just simply goes wrong and from that point on, nothing works. Then we know, it is timeout time. Time for the beach, time for some relaxation, time to get re-introduced to Mr Ron one sleepy evening playing cards or dominoes or something, time for a movie.

Looks like it is serious timeout time for you.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Tehama

..........I think ALOT more people experience a form of your ADD than will admit it...........! :eek: :cross-eye

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Thanks badBoy.
I really have it in bad way. I am not a rude person, but somedays I dont want them to even say "hello." Out of fear they might hear the accent in my reply and then follow with more shtt, trying to snow you over, and screw you out of something.

When I open my office and hire staff I will make it my number one rule that if you ask me for one peso for anything/any reason and at anytime....YOU WILL BE FIRED on the spot!!!

Today is definately a "stay in the house" day.

TEHAMA

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
I know exactly what you're talking about. Heres another example of Dominican greed over common sense: I was at a big intersection in S.D. and one of those guys selling cell phone belt clips and similiar stuff walks up to my window. I had bought a cell phone a couple months back so I was interested (first mistake, looking interested) in buying a cover or belt clip for it. Well I roll down the window and in my most Dominican accent (im a Cuban from Miami so the latino accent isnt a problem, doesnt matter though) I say, "Dime hermano cuanto quieres por este?" His initial reply, "500". I then say, "Pero vamos pa'na, la cosa 'ta dura, dame un buen precio" His next offer is " 'ta bien, te lo acomodo en 450" Even in my most Dominican "thug" speak, I couldnt get them to be honest about pricing.

At this point he's already lost the sale although he doesnt realize it. I start to roll up the window and thats when he goes "para te en la esquina y te doy un mejor precio". Well at this point im fed up with the guy not wanting to give me a "real" price and drive away. Now instead of this poor S.O.B. getting my money, some well off cell phone store owner will get it.

If they'd only realize they would have much more profit if they would price competitively and move more merchandise but that is not the way most Dominicans run their businesses.

Last edited:

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
NV_ said:
His initial reply, "500". I then say, "Pero vamos pa'na, la cosa 'ta dura, dame un buen precio" His next offer is " 'ta bien, te lo acomodo en 450" Even in my most Dominican "thug" speak, I couldnt get them to be honest about pricing.

..............DON'T pay more than $150 to 250 peso's for any of the phone stuff that they sell on the streets. We buy them for that price ALL THE TIME on the streets in Santiago and Puerto Plata............ THEY MAY SAY NO, BUT AS YOU ARE READY TO LEAVE, THEY'LL TAKE IT......That includes both the chargers and the holders......The charges that plug into the electrical current INSTEAD of a cigarette lighter tend to be a little more expensive, but NEVER more than $275.RD

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
TEHAMA writes the truth!! My opinion.

I think that every American or Canadian, probably every foreigner, can identify with what Tehama wrote of.
I'm an American; I attribute it to the Hispanic vs. virtually all other cultures. Not a, or the, 3rd world culture, but Hispanic culture.
In the USA, people generally want to receive respect from others & must respect others in return. That's simply the way the system works - mutual respect & mutual tolerance. Earned by honest conduct, reciprocated by honest conduct. Are all Americans honest? No!! I didn't imply that.
In the DR? The norm is cheating, stealing, & lying. From each other! From foreigners! Counter productuve? Ex. the DR civil service & most [not all] government employees. Same underlying principles.
Of course. I think that most cultures, ex. North America [Mexico?], develop a collective " reasonable concept of its own self interest" & reasonable concept of the common good; these are the ground rules of the country.
This has never occured in the DR. Why? A metaphysical question, . . far beyond my competence. Right on, Tehama! 1,000s of us feel as you do - not all the time, but at times.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
POP Bad Boy said:
NV_ said:
His initial reply, "500". I then say, "Pero vamos pa'na, la cosa 'ta dura, dame un buen precio" His next offer is " 'ta bien, te lo acomodo en 450" Even in my most Dominican "thug" speak, I couldnt get them to be honest about pricing.

..............DON'T pay more than $150 to 250 peso's for any of the phone stuff that they sell on the streets. We buy them for that price ALL THE TIME on the streets in Santiago and Puerto Plata............ THEY MAY SAY NO, BUT AS YOU ARE READY TO LEAVE, THEY'LL TAKE IT......That includes both the chargers and the holders......The charges that plug into the electrical current INSTEAD of a cigarette lighter tend to be a little more expensive, but NEVER more than $275.RD

I agree. I tend to give them a real low ball number to start with, then they have something to work up from. Walking away is one of the best negotiating tools here.

The going rate in Santo Domingo for a cigarette lighter charge is RD$200-250.

As for the ADD days, yep they happen. But if you surround yourself with good people, usually they are few and far between.

TEHAMA, I pity you when you open an office, you have seen nothing yet ;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
unsolicited medical advice

Dr Chiri's diagnosis? The second stage of culture shock. It'll pass. :)

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
Anywhere

I suppose that the "ADD" days are something experienced in almost any country that you live in as a "guest" for a longer period of time. If living in Malaysia, it would just be called an AMD instead, etc.
In fact, if you have been living abroad for many years when travelling to your home country on business or pleasure, you can experience some AHCD, Anti Home Country Days, at least this happens to me....

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
It doesn't get any better.

The longer you live here the worst it gets. That's why it's a good idea to go back home every few months.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
NV_ said:
I say, "Dime hermano cuanto quieres por este?" His initial reply, "500". I then say, "Pero vamos pa'na, la cosa 'ta dura, dame un buen precio" His next offer is " 'ta bien, te lo acomodo en 450" Even in my most Dominican "thug" speak, I couldnt get them to be honest about pricing.

1st rule that I have learned is never ask a price. Find out what the going rate is before, from someone you trust, tell them what you want, have the money in your hand, exact change, of course. No questions to ask, no negotiation. It works every time for me.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Well I can certainly understand you. I used to have ADMs....those are the month kind. I hated them all. Sometimes it can seem like they are all thiefs and don't give a damn about you as a human being.

Robert is right...surround yourself with good people. They are out there. Set rules with yourself...for example Don't let anyone borrow money. NOBODY.
Give money only when you don't expect anything back in return....not even a thank you...because often you will not get it. The moment it registers that they are trying to rip you off....roll the window up....walk away....close the door. And you gotta appreciate what Robert has created in this country...because I still haven't figured out how to do business and protect myself at the same time.

Eddy, it gets better doesn't it. You adapt. I would say Chirimoya is right in that it is a form of culture shock and you eventually adapt to it. But I don't believe in sugar coating the situation. There are lots of Dominicans who seem to lack honor, honesty, and concern for the goodwill of others.

Oh and when it gets real bad...go have a big Presidente. You will fill much better.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
TEHAMA said:
I'm not sure if its just me....They really make me sick and I don't want to see or even hear a Dominican. I know it might sound harsh, but I get tired and fed-up with all the mind games, trickery, and straight-out BS which they obviously never seem to weary from. ....

It's not just you. But it's not just here, and it's not just them. Back in NYC I would have times I didn't want to deal with another this or that, or the other one, and mostly didn't want to deal with the arrogant materialistic white guys that control too much up there...so I'm here now. The main thing to do is ignore everyone coming up to you for something, unless I know you, good luck trying to talk to me on the street, still a New Yorker at heart, I'm pretty much detached from what the people on the street are trying to communicate. I just watch their hands to see if they're pulling out a knife or a gun, but mostly just keep walking at stiff pace. And it's like that around my building too. I don't bother with neighbors, or their kids, we have family and established friends, we know where to shop, and ignore the rest. Pour a tall one, turn on the cable and watch some good old american TV shows. Believe me the Dominicans that you speak of are pretty stressed by this country too, you my friend atleast have the option of leaving, and still you understand that it can be pretty cool here, or you wouldn't be here, right?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The 3 phases

Phase 1) You move to the DR and you just love the locals.
Phase 2) You're constantly getting ripped off, you hate them all.
Phase 3) You've been here for a few years now and finally start to understand the culture, the way they think, the do's and dont's, who are the good ones and who the stinkers are. You start becoming a bit more savy, tolerant, forgiving and patient, and slowly you adapt to living in paradise.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
You gringos come to DR, live in gated gringo community, surrounded by poor dominicans (who are considered "dirt" by decent dominicans) and then complain of foul-play??? Hahahahaha, that is the price you pay to live with poor low life dominicans in to coastal areas.
Now if you want a little bit of peace of mind, come live in santiago but in the better areas where the dominicans are economically equal or better than you. Then and only then you will surround yourself with good dominicans. Now all the prices will be the same for you as they are for them. No more rip offs and no more cheap cat & mouse games. But first thing first: please learn to speak spanish and act like you respect dominicans. Life can be so much easier if you only socialize with the decent better class dominicans.
Oh wait, in your world, all dominicans are poor and cheaters. Right?
Welcome to DR.
AZB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
AZB, I don't know the OP's exact details and circumstances, nor have I met him in person but I gather he is living in SD, amongst Dominicans.

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Rocky and everyone.

Thank you! I needed to know I wasn't the only going through what is obviously PHASE 2 of the adapting process. I was beginning to feel that others were better at adjusting. And that somehow I wasnt quite "doing this" the right way.

I was very much moved by this excerpt from Naufrago:

Naufrago said:
"Believe me the Dominicans that you speak of are pretty stressed by this country too, you my friend atleast have the option of leaving, and still you understand that it can be pretty cool here, or you wouldn't be here, right?

YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!

I wanted this experience and now that I have it, I be damned if I will let them keep me locked in this house.

I'M GOING OUT...to experience more and take my lickins like everyone else.

Sorry for the Whining. Thanks guys!
TEHAMA

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Tehama, where are you living? If it's around SD you should join us when we have our next event, hope to meet you soon.

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Naufrago said:
Tehama, where are you living? If it's around SD you should join us when we have our next event, hope to meet you soon.

I would like that. I'm in the Colonial Zona.