Gas or Electric oven

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
With our move we have decided to bring a range and oven with us. With the problems in continous electric serveice, even if one has a generator would those eperienced cooks recommend gas or electric/convection ovens. Thanks. Bob K

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Gas!

Gas is your best option, the electricity is pretty expensive and if the light goes off you'll be left eating a half cooked chicken! ;)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Always gas. Throughout our time here, we've managed to gather a kitchen together that can cook with electricity and with gas at a moment's notice.

Electrical appliances to cook - freestanding electrical grill and oven.
Good electrical frying pan that can cook a whole meal.
Electrical kettle (for making tea).
Electrical Coffee maker.

Gas appliances - gas stove and oven (came to us at a good price as BushBaby and his Ginny won it on a lottery and then sold it to us at an excellent price ;)
Kettle that can go on the Gas stove (for making tea).
Coffee maker that can go on the Gas stove.

So, we can swop out a gas cooking session with an electrical cooking session and vica versa, just about at a moment's notice. ;)

There was a time last year when we had that long almost three month's outage where everything disappeared together - no gas, no hay luz, no gasolina, no gasoil.. Remember? We changed to a raw vegetarian diet for those months... ;) I'm just realizing, this country is krazy!

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Thanks

Chris,
Thanks for the imput. That was the way we were thinking. I am shopping for stoves/ovens in the next few weeks. I will be in the DR in two weeks and will look there as well, but I think I will end up shipping the stove with our household stuff.
Bob K

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
From a cook's point of view: gas is superior.

From a Dominican's point of view: you gotta be nuts to even consider an electric stove!

Does that clear it out? :classic:

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
gas it will be

Pib.
Thanks, Gas will be the choice and we will have an electric pot or two.

Bob K

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Bob, a mix of gas and electric fine as long as you have a gas stove. We have a toaster oven that we use quite a bit, but aren't handicapped when the power out because the stove is gas.

Scorpio

Feb 10, 2005
Go for gas

I will give you a helpfull tip hereby; when you buy your stove & oven ask the salesman if it is suitable for LPG because in the DR you cook on LPGaz and not natural gaz
Scrpio

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Lp

Scorpio,
Living in the mountains outside of denver we are quite used to LPG. We have been using it for years for cooking and heating. Just two years ago we finially got natural gas and it was nice to get rid of the 500LB tank. So going back to LP will not be problem
Bob K

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
power-fail mode???

Bob K said:
Scorpio,
Living in the mountains outside of denver we are quite used to LPG. We have been using it for years for cooking and heating. Just two years ago we finially got natural gas and it was nice to get rid of the 500LB tank. So going back to LP will not be problem
Bob K

my newly purchased gas stove uses electricity to light the burners but also, i think, to release the gas. the valves are electrically activated. this may mean no gas for cooking during a power outage...or having the stove on the emergency power feed. not anticipating a huge electrical draw but enough to keep the stove going. not 100% clear on this as i just purchased it and have not made any exiperiments yet.

if it weren't for the heat in the DR, i would bring a wood cookstove as a final back up. but they are heavy and it would just be a whim to have it there. but, ultimately, a woodstove is your final backup. it certainly comes in handy here (rural Ontario) when the power goes out. it is also the ONLY way to make a good loaf of bread. the antique stoves are also very beautiful and highly functional...some even come with a water heating system.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
as backup (and for camping purposes) I hava a couple of very handy portable propane stoves that use canisters with about a two hour continous supply of cooking time. I bought mine at a Chinese grocery for about 500 pesos, and canisters cost about 35 pesos each.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Gregg said:
my newly purchased gas stove uses electricity to light the burners but also, i think, to release the gas. the valves are electrically activated. this may mean no gas for cooking during a power outage...or having the stove on the emergency power feed. not anticipating a huge electrical draw but enough to keep the stove going. not 100% clear on this as i just purchased it and have not made any exiperiments yet.
That's a bit like our unit. The oven needs power to work, even though is gas. We had to connect it to the invertor. No problems so far.