Verizon email - problems - Help Needed

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
I have a DSL connection with Verizon; my bill is paid to date.
The internet - DSL service is normally VG to exc. My browser can access the Net, usually quite rapidly.
I use Windows 2000 & Outlook 2000 for email; I have for years. Now? I can receive email via Verizon w/o problem.
But, . . . I can't send email. Verizon rejects all of the email I've tried to send, for 2 - 3 days, with the cryptic message: "550 5.71" "error # 0x800ccc79" What happened? When I have my anti-virus program - McAfee - check my outgoing email, it states "Protocol Error". What is a "protocol"? What is a "protocol error"?
Are others having the same problem? What do these error messages mean?
How can I resovle these problems? Can Verizon resolve these problems? HELP!! Suggestions? Comments?
Thank you.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
gringosabroso said:
I have a DSL connection with Verizon; my bill is paid to date.
The internet - DSL service is normally VG to exc. My browser can access the Net, usually quite rapidly.
I use Windows 2000 & Outlook 2000 for email; I have for years. Now? I can receive email via Verizon w/o problem.
But, . . . I can't send email. Verizon rejects all of the email I've tried to send, for 2 - 3 days, with the cryptic message: "550 5.71" "error # 0x800ccc79" What happened? When I have my anti-virus program - McAfee - check my outgoing email, it states "Protocol Error". What is a "protocol"? What is a "protocol error"?
Are others having the same problem? What do these error messages mean?
How can I resovle these problems? Can Verizon resolve these problems? HELP!! Suggestions? Comments?
Thank you.

Error 0x800ccc79 is a mail relaying error. This usually occurs when you're are not authenticated by Verizon to send mail. They do this to stop spammers using their servers.

Turn off your anti-virus software, send an email and see if you still get the same error. If you don't, then you know the root of your problem is the anti-virus software.

Verizon will not help you with third party product errors. You need to go direct to the software company for help. http://mcafeehelp.com

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
You can also try to go into options on Outlook 2000 and set up your outgoing e-mail server (smtp server). Put in your user name and password as usual and tell your outgoing (smtp) server to authenticate. Sometimes Outlook wants you to receive mail first (in order to authenticate you on your server) and then you can only send. But if you if in your user name and password for your outgoing mail server, this sometimes solves the problem.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Wud is right. Junk Verizon email and get gmail. Far more capacity without the spam you get on Verizon. Or at least that I do. I got the Verizon email address when I signed up with them, but almost never use it. Nevertheless, I got almost as much spam on it (nearly all from DR sources) than I did from Hotmail. I have to keep a hotmail address because I use their Messenger, but Verizon is past tense for me.

Now that you have this problem, it would be a good time to make the change.

Scorpio

Feb 10, 2005
Chris has the answer. I had the same problem.From one day to another i couldn't send no more mails.
It was fixed right away by the procedure that chris describes check your
authenticate option on your account
Good luck
Scorpio