Possible short-term fuel shortages

Coastal

Jul 14, 2003
I just found out this morning (Tuesday, 22 Feb.) that the refinery is rationing fuel to stations due to the late arrival of a fuel ship. The ship should be in tomorrow afternoon so there may be some short-term scarcity of fuel. Keep your tanks full and plan your travels carefully over the next few days. I will update when I have more info.

Greg

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
What a coincidence! benchmark WTI just went above US$50 today, for the first time in over three months... Like previous 'scarcity' situations, hoarding the gas for the inevitable big price hike this coming Friday.

Mirador

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
ERICKXSON said:
NO GAS SHORTAGE! alot of people write to get attention.

Ericksxon, or however you spell your name, Coastal has never been wrong in my experience. He does not post a lot, but when he posts, we all listen. No there is no shortage today, but, there is the possibility because of a delayed shipment, that there could be a gas shortage. Read a little before you jump into the deep end man! and Fill up your car while you're out and about.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
ERICKXSON said:

And a lot of people make idiotic posts without any idea who the poster is they are responding to.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
When you run out of gas

ERICKXSON said:
So next week when you run out of gas maybe "THE GAS MAN" will give you a lift....if you're a very good boy.:>

JOHN

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Many years ago, the neighborhood would be taken by assault, through the grapevine, that the local food wholeseller was hoarding this or that item, like sugar or coffee. And not withstanding sociologist's opinions to the contrary, our herd instinct would take the better of us with an ensuing stampede to the supermarket and smaller colmados, with the resulting emptying of the shelves of the mentioned items. I wonder in this case who's the owner of the local Sosua gas station, and if maybe he's a little behind this month in his credit card payments...

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Funny story

Mirador said:
Many years ago, the neighborhood would be taken by assault, through the grapevine, that the local food wholeseller was hoarding this or that item, like sugar or coffee. And not withstanding sociologist's opinions to the contrary, our herd instinct would take the better of us with an ensuing stampede to the supermarket and smaller colmados, with the resulting emptying of the shelves of the mentioned items. I wonder in this case who's the owner of the local Sosua gas station, and if maybe he's a little behind this month in his credit card payments...

My ex mother-in-law was one of those herded animals. Tweny years ago she heard that there was going to be a toliet paper shortage in the new york area. By the end of the week she had over 1000 rolls in her basement. I don't think she has run out of TP yet.

Bob K

Coastal

Jul 14, 2003
Not looking for attention and credit cards paid up!

I report these incidents as they come to my attention so that the readers of DR1 that live here can be prepared in case this situation may affect them. These interruptions in fuel supply usually cause a ripple effect in the supply chain that can last for several days. High volume stations will normally feel the effects of the rationing first, and other stations may follow, as the backlog of fuel requests strains the delivery network creating "spot" scarcity of fuels among the gas stations. Hopefully the ship will arrive today and the situation will resolve itself before it becomes much of an inconvenience. As I mentioned before, I will post relevant info when I receive it.

Greg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
>>A VOICE FROM ON HIGH SAYS>>>

Listen to the man!!

He ain't bin rong yet!!

In other words, you will not do anything wrong by getting a few more gallons at the station ASAP. So you anticipate you usuall fill-up by a day or so. If you need wheels, just do as the man says...Don't be such a "Maroon" doc.

HB :D:D:D

Thanks Greg...appreciate the tip.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Mirador said:
I wonder in this case who's the owner of the local Sosua gas station, and if maybe he's a little behind this month in his credit card payments...

And if you knew the source (Coastal) you would be breaking your neck right about now trying to get to the "post edit" button.

I suggest some of you engage brain before clicking on the "Submit Reply" button.
Or at least do some research before making such idiotic posts.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Coastal said:
I report these incidents as they come to my attention so that the readers of DR1 that live here can be prepared in case this situation may affect them. These interruptions in fuel supply usually cause a ripple effect in the supply chain that can last for several days. High volume stations will normally feel the effects of the rationing first, and other stations may follow, as the backlog of fuel requests strains the delivery network creating "spot" scarcity of fuels among the gas stations. Hopefully the ship will arrive today and the situation will resolve itself before it becomes much of an inconvenience. As I mentioned before, I will post relevant info when I receive it.

Greg

Thank-You! Greg! Please do not stop these very valuable reports because of the uneducated remarks on this thread. There are many of us that appreciate this very much!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Do a search first.

I understand that someone might suspect ulterior motives, but, as in this case, not only has Greg always given us accurate info, but we rely on him to do so, so that we don't get caught with our pants down and have to run around the country looking for somewhere to gas up, not to mention the inconvenience of long line ups, when shortages occur.
It may be useful for those who don't know the poster, to use the feature of clicking on the the posters name, opening up the options window that allows one to search all posts made by that poster, and thus be more informed as to who he is, before jumping to conclusions.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thank, Gregg. Your reports are much appreciated.

One thing about message boards; you can share everything, including ignorance.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Thanks Coastal!!!

I, for one, appreciate any and all advanced information! It's like being an "insider" trader. if one doesn't take advantage of available information, one often finds oneself with the rear-end exposed to the COLD!!!

Texs Bill

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Have any of you thought about retro-fitting your vehicles with a propane gas tank. This is a redundancy that many Dominicans have employed to battle gasoline shortages and high prices.

Coastal

Jul 14, 2003
Fuel supply update

OK, the latest word ( 2:00 pm Wednesday ) is that the gasolines should be ready to dispatched late tonight or in the early am tomorrow. That should have stations beginning to receive gasoline fuel early tomorrow. Diesel dispatches, however, should normalize about a day later ( I'm not sure why ). Since the refinery is only dispatching about 30% of their fuel requests today (their quota or ration level), we can expect a few days of backlog as the supply normalizes. Once again, this could cause temporary shortages in some areas but hopefully all will be back to normal in a couple of days. I will post any changes or updates.

Greg

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
ignorant? more like appalled...

Whatever reason the person who has started this thread may have, announcing an upcoming fuel shortage will only provoke a run on gas stations. In my book, that is as unethetical as provoking a run on a particular bank by announcing a credit crunch. In the end, the purpose is to favor a few as opposed to the many.

Mirador