Info On Bayside Hill Resort

novagringo

Jan 13, 2005
Just finished a very nice, laid back vacation in Costambar at a lovely villa. I am, however, extremely curious about an abandoned hotel that overlooks the power plant on the harbor. It was called Bayside Hill Resort, and I was told that it closed up about 10 years ago. I'm guessing that the power plant's proximity was the reason the resort closed. Someone must have taken a bath, or maybe the power plant bought the property? I snooped around a bit and noticed the sign on the power plant was Smith/ENRON! I also didnt realize the power problems in the DR were so severe. We lost power daily--sometimes twice or three times daily. We had an inverter and generator, but with the price of gas/diesel--that has to cost an arm and leg. Anyone have the skivvy on what went down with Bayside Hill?

Chris from No Virginia

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
This is what I know but I could be wrong. So, if anyone has more accurate information, please correct me.

When the power plant was built (or being built), the hotel went to court to try and fight it. They lost and the power plant exists today. I think the owners of the hotel just abandoned it at that point.

Judging by your comments, I'm guessing that you stayed in Casa Obear (which is right next door to the hotel). I hope you enjoyed Costambar. I love it there!

Maryanne

novagringo

Jan 13, 2005
You guessed right! Loved the views, front porch the sea, back yard mountain views. Had some mechanical problems with TV, computer, hot water, generator was noisy, but not too bad overall. Cant believe the difference in the exchange rate since our last trip to the DR. Weak dollar I guess. Thank you Dubya.

Chris

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
The story I had heard is that the generating company (the one in the port on the barge rather than the local Smith Enron) had paid a whole LOAD of dollars to the owners of Bayside Hill Hotel to put in double glazing, but they decided NOT to. Hence, about 8 years ago when tourists began complaining of the generator noise from the port AND the deisel fumes passing over (the prevailing winds coming from that direction) the Tour Companies stopped using Bayside Hill. The hotel was put up for sale but no-one was prepared to outlay for the remodelling necessary to reduce generating noise to a minimum - hence the hotel was just abandoned. The hotel is now designated as a "Shelter Area" for those in the area in times of hurricane, eartquake & flood damage, although who would risk staying there with all the snakes that supposedly inhabit the hotel now, I have NO idea!!! ~ Grahame.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
BushBaby said:
The story I had heard is that the generating company (the one in the port on the barge rather than the local Smith Enron) had paid a whole LOAD of dollars to the owners of Bayside Hill Hotel to put in double glazing, but they decided NOT to. Hence, about 8 years ago when tourists began complaining of the generator noise from the port AND the deisel fumes passing over (the prevailing winds coming from that direction) the Tour Companies stopped using Bayside Hill. The hotel was put up for sale but no-one was prepared to outlay for the remodelling necessary to reduce generating noise to a minimum - hence the hotel was just abandoned. The hotel is now designated as a "Shelter Area" for those in the area in times of hurricane, eartquake & flood damage, although who would risk staying there with all the snakes that supposedly inhabit the hotel now, I have NO idea!!! ~ Grahame.
Hi! When Smith Enron was about to move the huge barge-mounted generator in to Costambar with backing from the World Bank, they called for a meeting of Costambar residents. I went, with 50 or so others. Enron lied to us regarding everything. " The noise will be no louder than the surf." Absolute nonsense as the noise was deafening whenever they blew off steam. "Costambar will have abundant power" Bull ....! the power went to Santiago for distribution, Costambar did not benefit. "There will not be any discharge of fumes." Lies. The plant used dirty fuel so thick in tar that it had to be heated before it was sent to the plant. The fumes were really gross, then and now, despite raising the stacks by 30 feet. The list of lies goes on. The fumes & noise made it impossible to operate the hotel. It is presently a ruin, uninhabitable and an eyesore. Guess what... the Smith-Enron plant is still here, operated sporadically whenever the Government pays them. Canadian Bob.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Adding Insult To Injury

As I understand the situation, the contract between the Balaguer goverment and Smith Enron guaranteed payment to the operator based on electricty CAPACITY not production! So they get paid even if they don't generate a KW!!

SyrusMaxx

Feb 9, 2007
Bayside Hill Resort

Had a great stay at Bayside Hill in 1992. The place was great and so were the people. Just got around to see if the place was still there and was disapointed at the news it was "A Ghost Resort". If anyone has any pictures of the resort as it is today please let me know and I will scan and swap the pictures I have from the resorts "Good Old Days".

SyrusMaxx

Feb 9, 2007
The resort was multi colored with 2 swimming pools, one was half inside and half outside. A huge jacuzzi with a under a waterfall bar. A 4 star resturant and a piano bar on the top floor without a panio. Disco and a bridge connecting the two hotel parts. We stayed in the upper hotel. We did meet some great people from Oklahoma, Linda and Russ whom we have lost contact with but they did plan on a return to the resort for their honeymoon in 1993. We still have our "pictured" ID cards, some stationary and the welcome booklet from our trip. Used Google satellite mapping to locate the resort on the harbor cliffs.......... Pretty cool

Paul Slater

Mar 7, 2009
Very Disappointed

I googled Bayside Hill as it appeared to have disappeared from brochures several years ago (I had heard rumours of Food Poisoning). My interest is due to the fact my Wife & I were married there in June 1992 on what turned out to be the first of our many holidays of a lifetime! We had a fantastic time there and obviously have many photos of the hotel in its heyday! We had hoped to return for our 10th wedding anniversary but thought that was too soon when it came around so thought maybe for our 20th but alas it looks like that is a forlorn hope now. If anyone could give me longitude & latitude for Hotel & Beach club I would love to be able to look at the area on Google Earth and then at least I would be able to pinpoint the area on the beach where we got married should we return to the Island.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I googled Bayside Hill as it appeared to have disappeared from brochures several years ago (I had heard rumours of Food Poisoning). My interest is due to the fact my Wife & I were married there in June 1992 on what turned out to be the first of our many holidays of a lifetime! We had a fantastic time there and obviously have many photos of the hotel in its heyday! We had hoped to return for our 10th wedding anniversary but thought that was too soon when it came around so thought maybe for our 20th but alas it looks like that is a forlorn hope now. If anyone could give me longitude & latitude for Hotel & Beach club I would love to be able to look at the area on Google Earth and then at least I would be able to pinpoint the area on the beach where we got married should we return to the Island.

Paul.
Try 19?48'24.05"N, 70?42'30.62"W for Bayside Hill hotel & east Costambar.

The beach area is at 19?48'46.17"N, 70?42'40.94"W
I have now put a placemarks on them so you should be able to find them fairly easily!

PM me with your e-mail address if you have problems & I shall then be able to e-mail the snapshot! ~ Grahame.

Last edited: