Money in Scotiabank (help!)

oldman

Feb 24, 2005
Hello, I have a USD Scotiabank account in Puerto Plata. I have not been in the DR in several months. At one time when I was absent from the DR for about 5-months they put my account on "hold". When I returned they reactivated after I showed them ID, -it was not hard.

However, I do not plan on returning to the DR for at least 1-2 years (work!). Does Scotiabank close bank accounts at some point in time? Or, can I just leave the money in the account collecting interest. It is not a lot of money, less than $4000. I am not sure if I should bother going back just to close the account or not.

Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

JoanneH

Feb 1, 2003
Fax

I've only dealt with the Scotiabank in Sosua but I've always found their customer service to be excellent. Your best bet would be to get the name of the manager and fax a letter outlining your circumstances and requesting that the account be kept active. Follow up with a phone call to ensure there are no problems with keeping the account active when there is no activity.

You shouldn't have any problems. But worst-case scenario you will be asked to wire transfer a few dollars every 6 months or so to show activity in the account.