whale watching in samana

redberry

Jul 30, 2004
Hi everyone! I would like to plan a trip to samana to see the whales. I'm coming from the capital, and I'd like to know if anyone can tell me how to get there, where to stay that is affordable and decent (it doesn't have to be a resort) and where to find boats and what not to see the whales without having to book through a hotel. Thanks!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The best whale watching excursions are run by Kim Beddall, the Canadian expat who founded whale watching in Samana. You can book direct with her http://www.whalesamana.com/home.html

From Santo Domingo, you can easily get to Samana by Caribe Tours. There are several buses in the morning and several in the PM. I can give you the schedule if you want it. If Kim is offering an afternoon excursion when you go, you could take the early bus and see thewhales the same day. Otherwise you will need to go one day and see the whales the next morning. You could return to SD on the afternoon bus if you wanted to.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I will be arriving in POP on 3/5 and leaving on 3/14. If I want to see the whales, should I head for Samana right away? I understand they generally leave by mid March. Not asking anyone to be Nostradamis here, just inquiring on past history.

dontuseEltour

Feb 2, 2003
We were there last week and told they had been a little late in comming due to cooler than norm water temp, we saw quit a few but had been told by others they hadn't seen much.Told to go in the afternoon water warms up so whale are a little more active seemed to be true. email Kim and ask her she make a living showing and teaching about so telling you if you if she thinks they'd be around would would be something i'm sure she'd be pleased to do.
Have fun .

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
sweetdbt said:
I will be arriving in POP on 3/5 and leaving on 3/14. If I want to see the whales, should I head for Samana right away? I understand they generally leave by mid March. Not asking anyone to be Nostradamis here, just inquiring on past history.

sweetdbt, yes, go to Samana right away. Last to leave are the mothers with new calves, but many of the whales may already be started back by mid-March. Best time to see the whales is right now.

This is the general rule of thumb, of course. Whales are wild animals and don't follow any schedule we know about, so no way to know whether this will be one of the years that they delay their departure. But don't take a chance.

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
redberry said:
Hi everyone! I would like to plan a trip to samana to see the whales. I'm coming from the capital, and I'd like to know if anyone can tell me how to get there, where to stay that is affordable and decent (it doesn't have to be a resort) and where to find boats and what not to see the whales without having to book through a hotel. Thanks!!
Hi Redberry,
If you walk 10ft, after getting off the Caribe bus from Santo Domingo, without being ask 10 times to go for a whale watching tour, it's a miracle at this time of the year. Every one will try to sell you a tour, or know a place where you could whale watch "Land Base", be inform in advance(do a search on Google for Samana Whales) and follow Ken's advice on contacting Kim Bedall(they are not cheap).

For decent accommodations at reasonable prices try any of Casa de Huespedes in town, majority are located on a street in front of Bomberos. See www.samana.net accommodations section for more details. If you speak Spanish will have no problem finding a goood deal on accommodations and book a tour at a decent price.

2 weeks ago, we stay in town for 3 days, at a terific place, on a hill, with a panoramic view of the bay, PM me for Tel number of this place(owner speak Spanish only).

Have a great time in Samana
WebDev

redberry

Jul 30, 2004
Sounds great! Could you please send me the number of that hotel? Thanks!

WebDev said:
Hi Redberry,
If you walk 10ft, after getting off the Caribe bus from Santo Domingo, without being ask 10 times to go for a whale watching tour, it's a miracle at this time of the year. Every one will try to sell you a tour, or know a place where you could whale watch "Land Base", be inform in advance(do a search on Google for Samana Whales) and follow Ken's advice on contacting Kim Bedall(they are not cheap).

For decent accommodations at reasonable prices try any of Casa de Huespedes in town, majority are located on a street in front of Bomberos. See www.samana.net accommodations section for more details. If you speak Spanish will have no problem finding a goood deal on accommodations and book a tour at a decent price.

2 weeks ago, we stay in town for 3 days, at a terific place, on a hill, with a panoramic view of the bay, PM me for Tel number of this place(owner speak Spanish only).

Have a great time in Samana
WebDev

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Just got back from an all-too-brief visit to Samana. We weren't organised enough to book a place on one of the reputable whale-watching trips, and didn't feel like paying such high rates for half an hour on a leaky yola, so we went for the economy seats and watched from Punta Balandra, on the road between Samana and Las Galeras, and Boca del Diablo (turn right on the way to Las Galeras, just before the left turn to Playa Rincon).

Boca del Diablo was an excellent spot to watch whales. We saw dozens. Binoculars recommended as you don't see the whales as close up as on a boat, but fantastic nevertheless. Mr Chiri took scores of photos and I'll be posting a link to them soon.

BTW we drove from SD to Samana via SFM and returned via Cotui. There are no problems on either route: the bridge before Nagua has been repaired. Part of the Samana-Las Galeras stretch is much improved, and the worst bit, between Pimentel and Cotui is slightly better these days. Some of the potholed stretched between Cotui and Maimon have been asphalted recently, by the look of it.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
You can also see the whales at most all-inclusive resorts, look for 40+ year old Europeans, men and women, with Greenpeace trying to roll them back into the water.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
ricktoronto said:
You can also see the whales at most all-inclusive resorts, look for 40+ year old Europeans, men and women, with Greenpeace trying to roll them back into the water.

You're slipping up rick! Which reason number is this?

C

ceserponting

Samana Humpback Whale Watching

Hi everyone! If you want to go samana trip for see the whales so please go exellent samana trip with your family last week i went samana trip and i really enjoy a lot so You can book direct with her Samana Humpback Whale Watching

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi everyone! If you want to go samana trip for see the whales so please go exellent samana trip with your family last week i went samana trip and i really enjoy a lot so You can book direct with her Samana Humpback Whale Watching

You're a dime short and a dollar late. Whale watching is done for the season. What trip did you take?

LTSteve