POP FOR 6 Months-1 Year

Kseniya

Dec 15, 2004
I am planning on going to Puerto Plata for 6 month's to 1 year. If anyone knows of any job oppertunities for a 20 year old female, or knows where to find more info : PLEASE HELP!
Thank you,
Kseniya

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Kseniya said:
I am planning on going to Puerto Plata for 6 month's to 1 year. If anyone knows of any job oppertunities for a 20 year old female, or knows where to find more info : PLEASE HELP!
Thank you,
Kseniya

Do you have a college education? Have you been here before?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
If you are serious about this and want any useful feedback, you need to supply a lot more information. The first question that occurs to me is WHY? I would think your language and job skills may be more relevant than education for your job prospects. Even more relevant is whether you have any local contacts. As has been said many times here, success in the DR is often more about who you know than what you know.

Many of the more specific things you need to know, like cost of living and wages have been asked and answered here repeatedly. Use the search feature.

Be prepared to encounter and work through a lot of scepticism on this, and if you can't deal with it on a discussion board, you should question whether you can do it in real life. Good luck. This is not something you should do on impulse or whim, and don't even think about it if you don't have enough $ to live on for a while and get home if it doesn't work out.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
mountainfrog said:
Can your Dominican friend, whom you mentioned in an earlier post, not help?

Oh, I see, YOU will have to help HIM.

m'frog

Ah hah. You have answered my question. Why am I not surprised to hear she has a "friend"?

Kseniya

Dec 15, 2004
Thanks for all the help

Well, thank you soooo much for all of your wonderfull and not so wonderfull feedback. To answer your questions: My Dominican friend is JUST a friend and nothing more. I do not speak the language fluently but I can get by (which I know is not enough) I am not looking for a carrier, simply something I can live off :tired: And for the reason as to why, well, simply because I have nothing better to do for about a year soooooooo......WHY THE HELL NOT?

Now, can I ask you guys a question? ;) Why is it that majority of people on this website have such bad attitudes towards others wanting to come and enjoy DR for a bit?

Ohh Yeah, and to whom ever made those comments about the strip clubs; Really, grow up!

Thank you to all who actually made an attempt to help instead of totally going off the topic.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Escott said:
Speak for yourself. I am doing just swell!

Just to put it in perspective, a maid in the DR makes around RD$150 & $RD200 a day, that?s US$ 5 to 8 USD for a full days work!!!

Perhaps Scott will adopt you.

Joe

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
OK, I think I get it. What you are seeking is a sort of pre-adult adventure. If you are pretty much up for anything, you could have some fun and learn a lot about life.

You absolutely must have some $ to bring with you to pull this off. Problem number one is that to work legally in the DR, you must have residency, which will involve several hundred dollars and a lot of time and trouble. Your best chance for employment, apart from the WHOREHOUSES (which is what they are; the dancers on stage are just displaying their goods), would be something where speaking English is an advantage. Telephone customer service or bartender/waitress in an establishment which caters primarily to tourists might be possibilities. Lots of competition for any job though.

Can you see yourself living in a dingy pension with a ceiling fan (maybe), no backup power for outages and sharing a cold water bath with several Dominicans? This can be had for under RD1500/mth. but remember that is possibly more than a weeks pay. You've gotta eat, and that's not as cheap as you might think.

6 months to a year isn't worth the trouble and expense of getting residency for the meager wages you would earn IF you could get a job of any kind. Save some $, buy a round trip ticket, and go there to enjoy yourself. If you find a way to make some $ and stretch your stay out longer, more power to you.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Kseniya said:
Well, thank you soooo much for all of your wonderfull and not so wonderfull feedback. To answer your questions: My Dominican friend is JUST a friend and nothing more. I do not speak the language fluently but I can get by (which I know is not enough) I am not looking for a carrier, simply something I can live off :tired: And for the reason as to why, well, simply because I have nothing better to do for about a year soooooooo......WHY THE HELL NOT?

Now, can I ask you guys a question? ;) Why is it that majority of people on this website have such bad attitudes towards others wanting to come and enjoy DR for a bit?

Ohh Yeah, and to whom ever made those comments about the strip clubs; Really, grow up!

Thank you to all who actually made an attempt to help instead of totally going off the topic.
I hope you are not referring to my reply. It was an honest opinion based on what you asked.

Go to Anna's section of this message board to get stroked if you don't like the answers you got from me.

Good luck either way.

Escott

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It's sort of funny, but I concur

You have little or nothing to offer except yourself.

Some of the other posters came here with decades of experience and a nestegg of money to invest in the field in which they were, admittedly, experts. You on the other hand have nothing and will bring nothing and are looking to live in a land were there is 60% un/under employment. So whose job are you going to take? Some guy or gal with four kids to support?

Look, if you want to come to the DR, volunteer for the Peace Corps or for a Church Mission. Or get a job with a major hotel chain and "volunteer" for work in the DR.

Now, if you are drop dead georgeous, I am sure you can find a way to stay here for a few years. It might be a bit degradating, taking care of a DR rich guy, but you can drive around in a beemer X-5 and have a nice apartment, good clothes and eat well. If not, then get an education so you can persue a "career" (note spelling).

Seriously, think this through. You can't work here without Residence, and you need money to get a residence. Even with the residence, you qualifications are minimum-as least as so far expressed to us-so you will get a minimum job, perhaps, as one person has suggested, at a call center. And there is a major call center there in POP. As for your "friend", don't be stupid!

HB :(:(

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
HB pointed out something which had not occured to me. It is one thing to interject yourself into another country and obtain employment at the expense of a local if you have long range plans and a real purpose for being there. It is another kettle of fish to potentially take a job which could support a Dominican family, simply because you "have nothing better to do for a year or so". Considering your youth, I think the suggestion about the Peace Corps etc. (possibly some student exchange program?) would be a much better option.

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
even the missions cost $$

sweetdbt said:
HB pointed out something which had not occured to me. It is one thing to interject yourself into another country and obtain employment at the expense of a local if you have long range plans and a real purpose for being there. It is another kettle of fish to potentially take a job which could support a Dominican family, simply because you "have nothing better to do for a year or so". Considering your youth, I think the suggestion about the Peace Corps etc. (possibly some student exchange program?) would be a much better option.

apart from the Peace Corps, the church missions usually charge money to work at them. churches in the home countries raise funds to send someone on a work mission. i looked at a few online last year and they cost more than an AI resort stay... no kidding!

some of them were around $600-1000 USD per week PLUS airfare. of course, the intention is that this money goes toward infrastructure development (we hope).

here's one at least with no fees. however, you need to have some training and you pay all the expenses:
http://www.bateyrelief.org/archives/000091.php