Is it just me or...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Is it just me or is DR1 being invaded by a bunch of newbies who simply attack people on DR1 without knowing them?

Lately I've seen several posts by newbies (100 posts or less) who are simply posting things about veteran DR1ers that is just stupid and incorrect!

I've been a victim of this rash, but I've also seen Pib, AZB, and a bunch of other DR1ers being attacked by these newbies who know nothing!

My question is if this is just me or is this rash of obnoxious newbies a real thing?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It happens and it will always happen, the nature of the beast :)
When I find them, I usually warn them, if they continue, I remove them.

If you see any posts that you feel need looking at PM/Email me and I will take care of it.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
True, but......!

Nal0whs said:
Is it just me or is DR1 being invaded by a bunch of newbies who simply attack people on DR1 without knowing them?

Lately I've seen several posts by newbies (100 posts or less) who are simply posting things about veteran DR1ers that is just stupid and incorrect!

I've been a victim of this rash, but I've also seen Pib, AZB, and a bunch of other DR1ers being attacked by these newbies who know nothing!

My question is if this is just me or is this rash of obnoxious newbies a real thing?
With all due respect, Nal0whs, it goes both ways. Some of us, "oldies", more often that I care to count, have made SOME "newbies' lives" a living hell also, with some of us "simply attacking without knowing them".

I do agree with you that some are posting things that are just stupid and incorrect and are doing so without being attacked.

Not a perfect world, WHAT A SHAME!.

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
The problem with "newbees" or "greenhorns" is that they are still thinking that they can live and react as they did in their own country.
We learned (most by the hard way), that if you want to say something in the DR, you have to start all-over as a newborn, and learn to walk-talk-think as a dominican.
That will make life a lot easier here.

On other forums i got attacked as well by those "newbees", but i don't care anymore
I payed for my "learning" in this country
If they are so bright and think they know-it-all-better, fine for me
I grab a chair and a cubalibre and have a wonderful day , seeing them going down.

And yes, sometimes maybe we sound to "hard" to them, but they can't see our "scars" and for sure they didn't take the time to read/studied the old topics.

And some people never learn, or never accept a good advice.

Like a guy in SPM a few weeks ago, showing off in the center with his expensive rolex, and telling everybody who warned him that "nobody could get his watch from his arm"
He was right
A "machetero" took his whole arm.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I don't care. I don't see why my arguments should carry more weight because of my post-count. And at the very least they are an endless source of amusement. What bugs me is the people who fail to see the merits in one's argument without having thought about it dispassionately. But it is not only newbies, we 'oldies' do it too, way too often.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
You have to be able to take what you dish out...simple as that

My point of view has always been and will remain "quality" outweighs "quantity". I have the highest regard for posts that provide valuable content and if poster has posting etiquette. What I mean by posting etiquette is discretion with certain comments or remarks and knowing when to draw the line. The number of posts in my opinion does not mean that the person's comments or opinion have more value or outweigh the posts of a poster who is new to the board. Quite the contrary to OP's claim I find the "oldies" definitely need to tone it down at times. The intimidation tactics are completely unnecessary.

-Lesley D-

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I agree that we have offenders across the spectrum. It's always best to take it lightly. I've learned not to take myself too seriously on these boards.

I always snicker when one veteran poster who is so snarky about other posters' spelling and grammar (a prejudice I share, BTW), yet their own tagline contains a teeny weeny booboo.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
That's not a tiny mistake...

Chiri,

S? a quien te refieres. ?Por qu? no le dices algo? Puedes explicarle la diferencia. Es obvio que no sabe.

(May be you should explain the difference).

-Lesley D-

Chirimoya said:
I agree that we have offenders across the spectrum. It's always best to take it lightly. I've learned not to take myself too seriously on these boards.

I always snicker when one veteran poster who is so snarky about other posters' spelling and grammar (a prejudice I share, BTW), yet their own tagline contains a teeny weeny booboo.

Last edited:

Mira

Jan 15, 2005
You have to be able to take what you dish out...simple as that

I second this...

Hey! Now I have more than 100 posts! :eek:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Que?

Lesley D said:
Chiri,

S? a quien te refieres. ?Por qu? no le dices algo? Puedes explicarle la diferencia. Es obvio que no sabe.

-Lesley D-
As a foreigner, when visiting a "English-speaking site" would say: "what did you just said/wrote?.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Miguel,

Edited just for you. See above.

-Lesley D-

miguel said:
As a foreigner, when visiting a "English-speaking site" would say: "what did you just said/wrote?.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Well, thanks!

Lesley D said:
Miguel,

Edited just for you. See above.

-Lesley D-
Edited just for me?. I know 1,00 languages and spanish is one ot them. Thanks anyways, lol.

Solo espero que el nombre de la persona que tu crees que ella se refiere no empieze con ""M" y termine con "L", hahaha.

Oops, en english por please:

(I hope that the name of the person that you think that she is referring to does not starts with a "M" and ends with an "L", lol").

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Miguel,

I was just joking....and no....it's not you.

-Lesley D-

miguel said:
Edited just for me?. I know 1,00 languages and spanish is one ot them. Thanks anyways, lol.

Solo espero que el nombre de la persona que tu crees que ella se refiere no empieze con ""M" y termine con "L", hahaha.

Oops, en english por please:

(I hope that the name of the person that you think that she is referring to does not starts with a "M" and ends with an "L", lol").

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
See what I mean!!

Carino, I know that you were. So was I. Do you really think that I know 1,000 languages?. Maybe 999.

I got your PM and I replied.

Thread related:

I do agree with some of Nal0whls' points but to some, including me, it does dot matter if they are new or old. I have learned on this site that some, including me, are "equal opportunities offenders", lol. I say what I feel and I feel what I say.

Shi*, I am not a newbie and I am still "getting it" from some of the people(cancers) that "gave it" to me when I was a "virgin"(newbie).

In most cases it has nothing to do with oldies or newbies, but everything to do with the person's post/question. Just my opinion.

Some should just not take it soooooo seriously!.

Last edited:

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
miguel said:
Carino, I know that you were. So was I. Do you really think that I know 1,000 languages?. Maybe 999.

I got your PM and I replied.

Thread related:

I do agree with some of Nal0whls' points but to some, including me, it does dot matter if they are new or old. I have learned on this site that some, including me, are "equal opportunities offenders", lol. I say what I feel and I feel what I say.

Shi*, I am not a newbie and I am still "getting it" from some of the people(cancers) that "gave it" to me when I was a "virgin"(newbie).

In most cases it has nothing to do with oldies or newbies, but everything to do with the person's post/question. Just my opinion.

Some should just not take it soooooo seriously!.

That brings up a question.
At what point is a person considered not a newbie? What does a person have to do to be included in the DR1 "in-crowd".
I think I should be accepted simply based on my sparkling personality and charming wit.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
miguel said:
Good point!

Some should just not take it soooooo seriously
Excellent suggestion!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Allow me!

stewart said:
That brings up a question.
At what point is a person considered not a newbie? What does a person have to do to be included in the DR1 "in-crowd".
I think I should be accepted simply based on my sparkling personality and charming wit.
THANKS FOR ASKING THAT QUESTION!!!

In my opinion, there are 2 types of people here in DR1 or any site for that matter:

One is the ones that get together(as in DR1 reunion and get-togethers) with each other and, new or old, would never say anything bad about their "new found friend". The ones that would "stick" together with their "new found friends" and TRY and make some member's life miserable when they post, newbie or old, just because they NEED to be liked or accepted by their "new dound friend". If they have to disagree with their "new found friend", they start with a sentence like this: " I know that you are a nice person and I hate to disagree with you but....".

I know since I am guilty of doing it.
I met AZB a few months ago and no matter what anybody says about the guy, he can not do "NO wrong" in my book. I would tolerate ANYTHING that he throws my way because I like the man. Meanwhile, if I don't know you, and you post something stupid, I would not hesitate to tell you and sometimes not be so nice about it. See, I would be annoyed if someone that knows me calls me an axx hole, but since only 3 people on this site knows me, I really can not care less what anybody else think of me. Meaning: opinions and judgements are not facts!.

Two are the ones that do not know anybody here and really do not care to get to know them. The ones that see this site as "just something to do". Those are the ones come come in, post, say whatever they want to say and leave. They may just have a question and when they get their answers, they dissapear. Many would stay and post some of the most stupid questions imagianable(especially in the Mars/Venus forum). Those are the ones that, although they do not bring anything to the "table", demand to be respected. Why would I respect someone that asks "is my 2 days old resort worker a sankie? but, then again, have NOTHING to say in the "Debate forum".

I my case, wheather I am considered a newbie or oldie I bring "to the table" sometimes, say what I need to say to newbies or oldies alike. I still do not care to meet some of the members as I am sure that MANY feel the same way towards me. If I need to "lick" some axxes, ANYWHERE, in order to be accepted as 'one of the boys' or a team player, those axxes will always be dirty because my tongue will NEVER get near it. Besides, I don't want my tongue tasting like a penny, lol!

Just my opinion and nothing more!.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
miguel said:

Miguel, you don't even have a tag line! Maybe it's about time?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
What!!!!

Chirimoya said:
Miguel, you don't even have a tag line! Maybe it's about time?
Are you kidding me!. I have so many tag lines that it takes me 2 days to "laid them" to rest!!. True, it's about time, lol.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Lesley D said:
Chiri,

(May be you should explain the difference).

-Lesley D-

Lesley, that's your department! I know it's wrong and I know the two correct forms that could be used in its place, but I'm nowhere near enough of a scholar to actually explain the rule.

Anyway, I set out to sow some paranoia and it seems to have worked! :devious: