Best US cell service for DR?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I'm about to buy a new cellphone in New York and, even though roaming charges seem to be about $2 per min. in the DR, I figure I should get a service that will function in a pinch. I am mostly in the Sosua/POP area and currently have Sprint service. Any info. greatly appreciated. - D

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If you plan to phone for more than 15 or 20 minutes in total, buy a Orange phone on arrival and use that with cards. Roaming for US$2/min is insane.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
ricktoronto said:
If you plan to phone for more than 15 or 20 minutes in total, buy a Orange phone on arrival and use that with cards. Roaming for US$2/min is insane.
I have one. But some people in the States only have my Sprint number and may need me in an emergency. I'll spring for the $2. - D

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Danny W said:
I have one. But some people in the States only have my Sprint number and may need me in an emergency. I'll spring for the $2. - D

Ricktoronto is right. I think you should get the orange phone. Leave your Orange number on you US sprint phone. So when people call you they will get a message from you saying to call you at your new number. It's hard to control your minutes when you are on roaming. And $2/per minute can add up fast. Your choice think about your choices.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Mucho easy!!

Call them and your new number WILL show on their cell phones, that way they can call you in case of an emergency.

If you call them from the DR, you WILL be using your minutes and so will they but.....

If they call your pre-paid phone, they would use their minutes and your minutes will stay intact. Comprende?.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Sprint phones work on Verizon in the DR and Verizon provides the best service by far. I would bring in another sprint phone to the DR with you and activate it in the DR as a "Pay as you go type phone" and use it to dial out.

Calling the states from the DR comes up as either private or unavailable on Caller Id

Scott

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Danny W said:

Buy a phone and call them with the number.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Jesus!

NOT TRUE AT ALL, some phones, when calling from the DR, WOULD SHOW ON THE CALLER ID. Maybe not all but I am looking at my cell RIGHT NOW, which I left behind when I was in the DR not long ago and IT SHOWS my DR cell number. I called from my dominican cell into my US cell to get my messages. I use a card phone over there!.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Here's my point. I use my cell for both business and personal, and I don't want everybody to know where I am, nor do I want to notify people when to call which number. I would like to look at my cell phone caller ID when it rings and I'm out and about in Sosua and decide whether I want to answer the call or wait until later and call back for free on my Vonage phone. So I want the best roaming service. Is that Sprint, Cingular...? - D

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Man!!!!!!!

Danny W said:
Here's my point. I use my cell for both business and personal, and I don't want everybody to know where I am, nor do I want to notify people when to call which number. I would like to look at my cell phone caller ID when it rings and I'm out and about in Sosua and decide whether I want to answer the call or wait until later and call back for free on my Vonage phone. So I want the best roaming service. Is that Sprint, Cingular...? - D
Listen, you are getting all worked-up for nothing. We have offered you a few sugestions. Just spend a few pesos and do as you please. This is my last post here so here it goes:

You don't want them to know where you are, don't tell them.

You don't want to notify people when to call which number, don't notify them.

Yes, you can look at your cell and decide if you want to answer or no.

Yes, you can wait until later to call them.

Since you are not calling them all the time, what do you care if you spend a few pesos. Or just go to one of those phone stores and make your phone calls there.

Btw, why all the secrecy, are you Donald Trump or a member of England's royal family?.

You are going to start your vacation the wrong way and worrying about something so petty is beyond me!!!.

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
If you are hiding from your office or wife, I suggest call a VERY good friend, and have them do a three way call to hide the caller ID.

Forward your stateside number to your DR cell for inbound calls.

ESCOTT, outbound Verizon Dominicana calls register as '809' calls on Verizon USA, Only Orange will register as "unkown caller".

I only learned all this by calling in "Sick" from Sosua one day to my office!

la flor

Jan 6, 2005
orange phone

where do you get this Orange phone? is it an actually phone, or a phone card? how much does it cost? when I go to the DR I use my Verizion phone from the states, It works crystal clear, I only turn the phone on to make I few call, but then I shut it off, and each time my bill has cost close to &200 US.

Ben

Feb 2, 2004
US Phones do work here

Last year I brought my AT&T phone (GSM service) which worked perfectly (it connected to the Orange network). I even sent and received text messages.

Now I use a Verizon phone back in the States and it also works here. Haven't tried text messages yet.

In both cases roaming is expensive.

Someone in an earlier post said the Verizon network is better than Orange here. I think that depends very much on your location. In the Sosua/Cabarete area I'd have to say Orange has better coverage.

Ben

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
So it sounds like Verizon has good roaming service in the Sosua area. When you get a call from the States, does the caller's number come up on caller ID?

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Verizon, in its many versions in the DR since 1930, has established a large infrastucture, therefore, they have better service than anyone out there. The only company that followed 'the Sprint method' of using a different network and new towers was Centennial. They had really nice phones but not much of a signal, I was one of the first 100 customers, but on a trip to Barahona the signal was gone. Now my friend tells me it doesn't happen anymore.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
and the answer is...!

I bought a phone that uses sim cards and will function as T Mobile or Centennial in the US or Orange in the DR. I have 2 cards, one is for the US and has my US number, and the other card has my DR number and works with Orange. One phone for 2 systems. In my apartment in Sosua I have a Vonage internet phone, so at this point I guess I have every option - local, roaming and internet. Now that I have the technology, is there anyting worth talking about?