Stray Dogs- need your opinion

eb435

Feb 27, 2005
It looks like my husband and I will be moving to Santo Domingo this fall. We have a rescue dog that we have had for about a year. She was in a situation where the previous owner let the other dog in the house dominate and abuse her for a year or so, so she has come to us with a lot of fear/ and or hatred for other dogs (as in, she behaves as if she wants to attack, and sometimes tries. Though this is improving, she still has many issues). I have read that there are a lot of stray dogs in Santo Domingo . . .I am wondering if it is similar to other places, like Cuba and Mexico, where the dogs hang out in heavily populated areas or near cafes- or if they are just EVERYWHERE. Our employer is housing us in Bella Vista- are there lots of stray dogs in that area? Is there a park in that area that is good for dog walking- and if there is a park- are there many strays there? I am just trying to figure out if walking our dog or taking it out for exercise is going to be a challenge for us in that neighborhood.

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Either you dog will be able to deal with the strays or you will have to deal with them yourself.

Most DR strays are alive because they know when to run away. Dominicans have a generally low regard for animals and don't take crap from stray dogs. Your chances of finding a mean one that someone hasn't already "taken care of" (or sold to the local butcher as goat meat) are low.

My 11 year old walks our two woosie black lab mixes in the local barrio here and there about 5 strays - all of them steer clear and just bark from a distance even though our dogs are affectionate almost to the point of retardation and are incapable of harming even a small cat.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
eb435 said:
It looks like my husband and I will be moving to Santo Domingo this fall. We have a rescue dog that we have had for about a year. She was in a situation where the previous owner let the other dog in the house dominate and abuse her for a year or so, so she has come to us with a lot of fear/ and or hatred for other dogs (as in, she behaves as if she wants to attack, and sometimes tries. Though this is improving, she still has many issues). I have read that there are a lot of stray dogs in Santo Domingo . . .I am wondering if it is similar to other places, like Cuba and Mexico, where the dogs hang out in heavily populated areas or near cafes- or if they are just EVERYWHERE. Our employer is housing us in Bella Vista- are there lots of stray dogs in that area? Is there a park in that area that is good for dog walking- and if there is a park- are there many strays there? I am just trying to figure out if walking our dog or taking it out for exercise is going to be a challenge for us in that neighborhood.

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.
I find the stray dog population in Santo Domingo remarkably low, all things considered, moreso in this part of the city (Bella Vista and whereabouts). There's a big park in the area where people take their dogs, most leave them off the leash for sometime to give them a bit of freedom, but you will hardly think of them as stray as most are well-groomed. The pigeons on the other hand...

eb435

Feb 27, 2005
Thanks very much to both of you. . .this gives me a better idea of what to expect. Our dog is improving all the time, but I don't want to spend my first few months in Santo Domingo breaking up dog fights. The situation sounds manageable and I think our dog will do just fine. Thanks!