Real Estate Investment In DR

kelli

Feb 27, 2005
Hi everyone-
I am new to this board...as of today!

We are looking for some advice as we have never been to DR for a lengthy stay...have visited a few times on cruise ships but that is it.

We are considering a real estate investment in the area. The prices for beach properties seem reasonable in comparison to Costa Rica, Panama and Cabo. I am a realtor with about 20 years of experience. We are looking purely for investment but wish to enjoy the beaches and communities while renting our propertie(s)

I have read alot of the threads on the board..very informative..thanks for sharing!

The question is this: Where in your opinions, are the best areas for real estate opportunities with regard to beach locations. We are not looking for city properties but we do think convenient (20 to 60 minutes) access to airports, shopping, etc is necessary for our plan.

I would love to say price is not an issue...BUT it is!! We are looking in the (I think) $85,000 to $350,000 range.

We hope to utilize the propertie(s) ourselves 3-4 times per year.

Any and all opinions are appreciated..Thanks!

Kelli

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Welcome to the board, kelli. Your price range is a lot more realistic than many we see asked about. Prices have gone up quite a bit in the past year, at least in the Sosua/Cabarete area.

I'll send you the name of a real estate agent in this area that I can recommend without question. When picking a realtor and lawyer in the DR, you need to proceed very carefully.

For living, this is a very good area.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I also like the Sosua/Cabarete area and agree with Ken. I am doing what you want to do and own 2 condos in the same condo complex that Ken lives in. I also like the fellow Dean Brown whom he is going to recommend since he always does and I would also like to recommend a few others whom I like as well. Ty at A3T Real Estate or Property Center and Jim Belair of American Realty. There are plenty others I am sure but I particularly enjoyed working with those two if you are looking on the North Coast. I wouldn't look at anywhere else but I have enjoyed traveling this country since it is breathtaking.

Escott

col

Jan 1, 2005
I have recently purchased an apartment on Kite Beach. I researched in depth on the internet and then spent a few days in my chosen area looking at several options. I found two agents that were helpful - they were the two most helpful when dealing with my numerous emails too - so first impressions count!! I finally purchased a two bed two bath seafront apartment for USD$135,00 direct from the developer . The development suited my needs - I think you have to be sure what you want from your investment before you make a decision. I was shown several really great apartments which would have been fine to live in but no good for holiday rentals. I would say do your research on the net from home and the best agents/developments will rise to the top of your list. Then visit with your shorlist and decide from there. Good Luck.

kelli said:
Hi everyone-
I am new to this board...as of today!

We are looking for some advice as we have never been to DR for a lengthy stay...have visited a few times on cruise ships but that is it.

We are considering a real estate investment in the area. The prices for beach properties seem reasonable in comparison to Costa Rica, Panama and Cabo. I am a realtor with about 20 years of experience. We are looking purely for investment but wish to enjoy the beaches and communities while renting our propertie(s)

I have read alot of the threads on the board..very informative..thanks for sharing!

The question is this: Where in your opinions, are the best areas for real estate opportunities with regard to beach locations. We are not looking for city properties but we do think convenient (20 to 60 minutes) access to airports, shopping, etc is necessary for our plan.

I would love to say price is not an issue...BUT it is!! We are looking in the (I think) $85,000 to $350,000 range.

We hope to utilize the propertie(s) ourselves 3-4 times per year.

Any and all opinions are appreciated..Thanks!

Kelli

kelli

Feb 27, 2005
Col-
You are right. Due diligence is the name of the game.

I am already corresponding with one of the realtors that was kindly recommended. The internet research is being done. We hope to have a plan to visit in the next few months.

It sounds like you got a good buy. Are there any units left in that price range?

Kelli