Shipping my dog from the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

neillcin

Feb 26, 2005
Has anyone shipped their dog from the U.S. recently? I don't think I will be able to be on the same flight. I can't come until summer and by then it will be too hot to ship her, so I want to send her soon. Thanks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Things haven't changed

Get the vaccination certificates up to date, and get a certification of good health from a Vet on his letterhead. If possible, get the letter stamped by a Dominican Consul, but I have seen posts where this is not necessary.

You will have to buy a shipping crate, of course.

And you better have your "Second Best Friend in the World" meeting the flight to pick up your very Best Friend in the World.

HB :D:D

neillcin

Feb 26, 2005
Hillbilly said:
Get the vaccination certificates up to date, and get a certification of good health from a Vet on his letterhead. If possible, get the letter stamped by a Dominican Consul, but I have seen posts where this is not necessary.

You will have to buy a shipping crate, of course.

And you better have your "Second Best Friend in the World" meeting the flight to pick up your very Best Friend in the World.

HB :D:D

Thanks. After spending (without exaggerating) six to eight hours on the internet and phone, I hope American Airlines will accept Penny, mi perrro, on April 27 for a one-way flight to DR. Nancy (at AA-American Airlines, not Alcoholics Anonymous), who admitted she isn't the only Nancy at AA, but wouldn't further identify herself said, "Just show up early the day of your flight and hope for the best." She said, reading from her "script", AA doesn't take reservations for pets as "checked luggage". If it's expected to be over 85 degrees F on any leg of the flight, you are, apparently, left at the airport with your luggage, your dog in a crate, and your friends, who were kind enough to take you to the airport at o-dark-thirty, long gone. Cross your fingers for me and "El Centavo".

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
second vaccinations at airport?

neillcin said:
Thanks. After spending (without exaggerating) six to eight hours on the internet and phone, I hope American Airlines will accept Penny, mi perrro, on April 27 for a one-way flight to DR. Nancy (at AA-American Airlines, not Alcoholics Anonymous), who admitted she isn't the only Nancy at AA, but wouldn't further identify herself said, "Just show up early the day of your flight and hope for the best." She said, reading from her "script", AA doesn't take reservations for pets as "checked luggage". If it's expected to be over 85 degrees F on any leg of the flight, you are, apparently, left at the airport with your luggage, your dog in a crate, and your friends, who were kind enough to take you to the airport at o-dark-thirty, long gone. Cross your fingers for me and "El Centavo".

we are planning to bring a dog and two cats.

met a couple who brought their dog. they said they didn't get their dog vaccinated beforehand as it was done at the airport on arrival (POP?) for about $30 USD.

does anyone know if they vaccinate at the arriving airport regardless of certificates?

can't imagine POP having a vet on hand for flights. also wonder about the mood my shepherd will be in after a long flight. would like to avoid double vaccinations as it is really hard on the animal.

as well, some are saying they have not bothered with getting the certificate of good health stamped at the DR consulate. they charge fees plus a lost day to go and get this done (all within 30 days of departure). any comments on this from others? wondering if one would be best just to pay those good ol' propinas at the airport and forget the consulate. just to be clear, i would have the full certificates and requisite vaccinations.

already i know how i will handle any big problems...get my dog out of the crate to take a piss somewhere... any big problems and i will offer to let them hold the leash and keep him. betting that most won't be anxious to take the leash of big, nervous, crumpy German Shepherd (not if they're smart anyway). just act like i am having trouble holding and controlling him. that probably will be partially true anyway.

Last edited:

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I would...

I would get the papers ahead of time to be safe. I would'nt want to take a chance with my best friend.

You get the vaccinations and mail the paper to the Consular. Call them and tell them what your doing. I got my birth certificate and my dog papers. Both were returned fast.

I had no problem in either airports. But I'd make sure to give your animal a tranquilizor to keep them calm for the ride. And if your animal crate has whels I'd take them off before the flight. My dog rolled all over the bottom of the plane. Her crate was all busted up and she smelt really bad too.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Since I have done this

Do what we are telling you to do.

Get the freakin' papers, send them to the freakin' consulate by UPS or UP Postal Special Delivery and include a Priority Mail Return envelope with you initial mail. Call them to find out how much $$ to send for the "certification" and make sure they know that you know that they have received your Vet's certificate and that you need it back, ASAP. Be nice and you will receive good service, I am sure.

Do not come to the country without these papers. You might just get to see your dog shot, if he is nasty.(I wish it was a she, I need a mate for my shepard..--Dominicans have very little patience or respect or love for animals-dogs-- and even less for cats....

Be wise, do your homework...

HB :D

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Gregg,
POP airport does have a vet. Not for giving shots that should have been given in advance.........but for checking animals on arrival. Judy at Judy's Pet Lodge will also help with this.......she has been to airport to receive incoming animals many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.