Holidays & the part-time housekeeper

tubabu

Feb 27, 2005
My question is in regards to a part-time maid and what I legally owe her. She only works 3 days a week, from around 8-3:30 p.m. Since beginning work 1 1/2 years ago, she has always wanted to be paid at the end of each day. Because she is only part-time, in the past when there has been a holiday I have always given her the option of coming another day, working on the holiday (her choice), or not working at all and losing the day. I did it this way after consulting with Dominican and expat women who have maids. She has always chosen to come in a different day, and I have done everything to accomodate her. She has now told me that even though she is part-time, she should still be given paid holidays if they fall on her work day. This seems unusual to me, since she only works 3 days a week.

We have always paid the required double salary at Christmas, along with innumerable gifts.

I have waded through the 314 pages of the Codigo de Trabajo but am still unclear on this issue. Thanks for your help.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Regardless of what the Work Code says I have a similar arrangement with our cleaning lady. She does not work holidays, and does not have to work another day to compensate. She was just given two paid weeks off as yearly vacation (we were out of town anyways). Of course, this is my own criteria and YMMV.

tubabu

Feb 27, 2005
Thanks a lot for your input. I appreciate you taking the time to write.

Pib said:
Regardless of what the Work Code says I have a similar arrangement with our cleaning lady. She does not work holidays, and does not have to work another day to compensate. She was just given two paid weeks off as yearly vacation (we were out of town anyways). Of course, this is my own criteria and YMMV.

tubabu

Feb 27, 2005
Does anyone else have some knowledge on this issue? Just to clarify, we have always given her paid holidays such as Dec 24th, 31st, and other "biggies." But there are many others that I have usually offered a choice of what she'd like to do.

Am I the only one facing this issue? I'd love to hear from others as to their experience/knowledge. Thanks.