REVISTA Attack!! Now!! Prepare! Now!!

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Fors those of you [ie us] with little time in the DR, there is a gov't auto sticker termed a "revista". It is similar to an auto inspecition sticker, common in the USA, affixed to the windshield of the car or truck.
The USA purpose is to insure that the components of the particular car [ie brakes, lights, tires, emissions] are in satisfactory condition; in the DR the purpose is ?
14 different components are listed - "formulario de inspeccion" - on the form. None, I repeat "none" - are actually physically inspected on any car or truck I've ever seen inspected. None! Can you challenge me?
To obtain a revista: 45 Pesos & copies of the current matricula & M. V. insurance bill; no evidenc if actual payment of the bill is required.
REAL DR PURPOSE!! 1 more "gotcha". Theres is no notice to the car owner that a revista is due or when!! There may my notices in the Dominican newspapapers?? This year - 2005? The revista must be on the vhicle by 1 March 2005.
Or? Gotcha!
Your local AMET amateur extortionist in training will stop you while driving, inform you that you are in violation of the DR law [literally true, the law is functionless], take your driver's license for a hearing before a fiscal; or, . . . . offer to give you a week to get the revista for 200 - 300 Pesos, depending on the value of your car. Que viva La Repubica!!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Heh! I am ahead of you. Mine will be on tomorrow. :classic:

As a general rule everybody forgets it and only remembers when the cops are out to get them.

gringosabroso said:
14 different components are listed - "formulario de inspeccion" - on the form. None, I repeat "none" - are actually physically inspected on any car or truck I've ever seen inspected. None! Can you challenge me?
I can, if you go to Obras P?blicas your car will be inspected. ;)

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
JDJones said:
Since I am always willing to comply with all of the laws of this great land?
And, can I pick up all of my revistas at once, or do I have to take the car?
I don't know if is still there, but you can get your revista at Multicentro Churchill. They will do the car inspection there, taxes are paid in BanReservas (there is one in the same building).

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Excellent Questions, J D ! !

Since I am always willing to comply with all of the laws of this great land?
And, can I pick up all of my revistas at once, or do I have to take the car?

[COLOR=Blue]1. Go to the nearest BancReserva; bring your original cedula, 45 pesos, then wait on line. How Long? Hints: go between 12 & 2; never go on Fridays.
2. Pay & show your cedula. Obtain a 3 part receipt from the Banc.
3. Go to ther nearest Obras Publicas office. Hint: these offices open @ 8:00 am; closed from 12:00 noon to 2:00 pm; also, closed @ noon on Fridays for the weekend.
4. Get a number [on small pieces of cardboard]. Wait. . . Wait.. . Wait. . . .
5. When the secretary calls your number, approach her, give her the copies you have of the matricula & insurance bill; wait. . wait. . She will keep the copies. Pay nothing; she will fill out a form
6. She will give her trusted assistant the form containng the revista, a small sticky, plastic - type, sticker.
7. Go with the assistant to your car; unlock your car; allow physical access to the assistant; he will enter the car; he will affix the sticker to your windshield. He will exit you car. Say "thank you".
8. Drive away. Evidently, neither the secretary nor the assistant is expecting a propina; at least, I never saw anyone pay either. Unusualy in this country.
9. Wait until @ Feb. 15, 2006. Repeat steps 1 thru 8. Smile. It's humerous in its own DR 3rd world way.[/COLOR]

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I asked my neighbor about the revista. I wanted to know where to pick it up this year in Santiago. He, a dominican, told me not to worry about it. He said that if you hear of the police temporarily cracking down...then might be a good idea to go get one...but in general they don't worry about it.

Since it is a joke anyway...I will not worry about it.

This is like the seatbelt law. I was pulled over and given a ticket. While he wrote the ticket I watched one pasola after another drive by from the nearby school with father and two children.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
there is always an easy way

We just give our mechanic 150-200 pesos and the paperwork (he must have inside contacts since we only hand over a copy of our cedula) and he brings back the revista and sticks it in the car. It is well worth 100 or so pesos to not have to run around town and stand in line. I think he does several people's vehicles at once so he probably makes a tidy sum for a boring day.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You know when your revista expires by looking at the clipped out part on last year's.......a letter for each month of the year. Won't apply in future because........no clipped out part.
I got mine in January. Completely painless. In & out in 10 mins. No waiting. Didn't have 'friend' on inside since Obras Publicas changed staff after election. Staff may have changed, modus operandi hasn't. ;) Thus no inspection necessary. Plus I had the ultimate good luck of there being some other gringos there who didn't know the ropes.......so all attention went to them, not me.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
we sent our driver down to the Revista office

He took down with him eleven Revista forms after going to bank to pay for these.

They the Revista people said they would not pass out the Revista's as all auto's must be inspected.

Since we all put in an extra RD 100 Pesos each for good will and expenses incurred, they decided to come out to our place of Business and process the Revista's.

The total ordeal took all but 15 minutes at work and we now have our new Revista's on our windshields.

Gringo

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Interesting thread... I have one question about this "matricula". Is this the same as the "certificado de propriedad de vehiculos motor" slip issued by the "secretaria de estados de finanzas / direcion general de impuestos internos"? Or is it something else... If so where to get it in Santo Domingo?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
PlantaFULL said:
Interesting thread... I have one question about this "matricula". Is this the same as the "certificado de propriedad de vehiculos motor" slip issued by the "secretaria de estados de finanzas / direcion general de impuestos internos"?
Yes, it is the same.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
JDJones said:
Every year those of us who have vehicles must renew the License plates. Usually this is done by purchasing a "marbete" which is either stuck on the windshield or the license plate itself, depending on what type of vehicle you have.
Last year, we all had the pleasure of purchasing new license plates, instead of purchasing the "marbete". I would assume that this year, we'll be required to buy a "marbete" once again.
This is in addition to the "revista", which is the equivilant to an inspection sticker, and is stuck on your windshield as well, no matter what type of vehicle you have.
For what its worth, I ran into a guy selling "official" revistas on the street yesterday. I got all 5 of mine for 150 pesos each. He didn't even ask me for my "botikin" or my "triangulo".
Life is simply amazing here!
You've been had. If an officer stops you and asks for your Revista you must also have the receipt from Obras P?blicas, plus your Revista is most likely a counterfeit. Been there, done that, never again. :tired:

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Pib said:
You've been had. If an officer stops you and asks for your Revista you must also have the receipt from Obras P?blicas, plus your Revista is most likely a counterfeit. Been there, done that, never again. :tired:

Me too, I once purched a Revista from a guy standing out side the Revista office, I piad fifty Pesos at that time,
Now if they stop you they will ask for your original and then compare the number on your Revista attached to your windshield at that time your screwed.

Gringo

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
JDJones said:
It's amazing how unattentive the AMET seat belt police can be.

I have been stopped on various occasions,(I am a gringo, after all) and they have never noticed that my license is expired, for example.

Nowadays, I tell them my license was taken away a couple of days before, and that I have a court date the following week. When they ask for the ticket, I tell them I left it in my other car.

None of them have ever noticed that my insurance was expired either.

If worse comes to worse, I'll go do the stand in line thing and get the real McCoy.

BTW, has anyone noticed that NOBODY has the revista stickers yet?

Wait you are the same guy who lets his wife drive without a seat belt in the country with one of the highest traffic fatality rates in the world? And now you don't have insurance and drive with an expired license plate?

You are doing a horrible disservice to your wife. There have been many cases of rape and assault by police officers in the DR against women in the past 20 years, especially in Santo Domingo. By doing this and allowing your wife to drive without a seatbelt you are putting your wife in grave danger on a daily basis.

Look at yourself in the mirror my friend, you are being a reprehensible person.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
JDJones said:

I have been stopped on various occasions,(I am a gringo, after all) and they have never noticed that my license is expired, for example.

Nowadays, I tell them my license was taken away a couple of days before, and that I have a court date the following week. When they ask for the ticket, I tell them I left it in my other car.

If worse comes to worse, I'll go do the stand in line thing and get the real McCoy.

I have a "legal" revista :)
Took me 5 mins in Puerto Plata the other day.

Let's hope you do not have an accident with your expired insurance on license.
They will nail your rear to the wall if anyone is hurt...

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
JDJones said:

I don't need the police to babysit me. I know my duties and I do the right thing to the best of my abbility. I like to be right when I argue. YMMV and all that.

Will you post about it when something happens and they find you at fault? Please do, we need more cautionary tales.

We were stopped in a road-stop coming back from Puerto Plata. The policeman asked for everything that crossed his mind. He couldn't find anything and let us go.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Robert said:
I have a "legal" revista :)
Took me 5 mins in Puerto Plata the other day.

Let's hope you do not have an accident with your expired insurance on license.
They will nail your rear to the wall if anyone is hurt...
Wishful thinking? They will nail his rear to the wall. Period. If nobody was hurt I assure you somebody will promptly discover they suffered from backlash or other injuries.

Adam Spenser

Nov 29, 2002
Revista

Before you can get yur Revista you have to go to BancReservas and pay 45 pesos for a paper to get the Revista. In past years my passport was accepted, since I do not have a Cedula nor do I want one. However, last year the teller took my passport, but when the numbers on it did not fill up all the blanks (less #s than a Cedula) she said she could not give me the paper. Wait a minute I said there must be thousands of cars owned by gringos who do not have Cedulas. She thought about 30 seconds and then asked the guy behind me what his Cedula number was, which she proceeded to put on the form. No problem getting a Revista. This year the same thing ocurred, but before the teller could say anything I asked the guy behind me to please give his cedula number to the teller, which he did unquestionally. Someone should take all these stories on DR 1 and write a funny book.
Adam Spenser

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I swear this happened...

There was a cop standing on the corner. He flagged me down and walked over and asked for my license. But before I could give it to him this girl across the street waved him to her car. He looked at me, looked at the girl, looked at me...then told me to go on...then he did a little jog over to her car.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
funny book?

Adam Spenser said:
Someone should take all these stories on DR 1 and write a funny book.
Adam Spenser

Yes and no. As long as it's pure satire: more terrible than irony and the only tale worth telling here. I mentioned to someone (my insce agent who was wearing a NASA t-shirt at the time) the other day about the neutron star 50,000 light years away, the one that emitted all those gamma rays on December 27, the day before the infamous earthquake and tsunami. He said, 'Neutron star? We're living in a neutron star right here in Sosua.' heheh, too true. :)

About revistas-- I went to PP as well, and no one bothered to look at my car after all. The office was open between 12 and 2 and there was not a lineup.

dawnwil