Semana Santa 2005

carcol

Mar 9, 2004
can someone tell me when Semana Santa is this year? What are the exact dates.
thanks so much!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
carcol said:
can someone tell me when Semana Santa is this year? What are the exact dates.
thanks so much!

(Consulting every calendar in the western world) Good Friday is the 25th, Easter Monday is the 28th. Thus Semana Santa starts the weekend of the 19/20th. The capital folks stream to the capital from Boca Chica at about 4 p.m. on Easter Sunday, in droves.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
ricktoronto...uh???

Ok...consulting the calendars on this side of the world...

March 20th is Palm Sunday...Domingo de Ramos...the start of the Holy Week...or Semana Santa...

March 25th is Good Friday... Viernes Santo...the day Christ died...

March 27th is Easter Sunday...Domingo de Pascuas de Resurrecci?n...the day Christ rose from the dead...

Where did you get that Easter Monday thing? I've never heard of it before...

As I understand it, starting Thursday, March 24th until Monday, March 28th the capital is a 'dead zone'...no clubs, no loud music, the city is deserted...almost everyone who can afford it leaves for the 'campos' or the 'beaches'...

I'll will be there that weekend...want to experience some 'peace and quiet' in Santo Domingo...

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Musicqueen said:
Where did you get that Easter Monday thing? I've never heard of it before...

it's celebrated in most Christian countries. in Canada it's a paid holiday for most government employees, teachers, etc. Everyone else works. traditionally it was a day to visit friends and family and to have your home blessed with holy water from the church.

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
mobrouser said:
it's celebrated in most Christian countries. in Canada it's a paid holiday for most government employees, teachers etc. everyone else works. traditionally it was a day to visit friends and family and to have your home blessed with holy water from the church.

It is certainly a school holiday for the Catholic schools here in Ontario, and I think public as well.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Ok...

Maybe in Canada...but I had never heard of it before...usually, here in the United States, people work all through the week...maybe, if you're very lucky you get Good Friday off from work...sometimes you have to work half a day...and the kids have Semana Santa off from school...or what is usually called...Spring Break...