Costambar Land...

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I'm considering buying a lot in Costambar to build a home. I wanted to know of anything I should watch out for or pay particular attention to. Any red flags?

Thanks.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
where is the land located? what are you planning on doing with it?

Those can help us tell you what kind of red flags you might hit

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
I have often thought of purchasing land in Costambar.
Here are a few things I have thought about:
- the beach is busy with locals on the weekends and during holidays; not sure I would ever buy any land or home which is located on the main road along the beach (unless you're establishing a business); it is really congested and loud during these times and the garbage once everyone leaves is bad; at least it only takes a day or 2 to clean up
- there are plenty of properties which are located on the road which run down to the beach; I would only purchase a lot or home that is 2 or 3 lots away from the beach; same reason as the first issue; I have seen buses line up the streets and use up everyone's parking spaces (for apartments that exist there)
- there are plenty of lots for sale around the lagoon area but upon closer look, some of the lots seem rather lower than the surrounding lots; not sure how good of a building lot this will be
- there are also some skeleton homes that are for sale (cement block structures); it might be worth a second look

Thanks,
Maryanne

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
maryanne said:
I have often thought of purchasing land in Costambar.
Here are a few things I have thought about:
- the beach is busy with locals on the weekends and during holidays; not sure I would ever buy any land or home which is located on the main road along the beach (unless you're establishing a business); it is really congested and loud during these times and the garbage once everyone leaves is bad; at least it only takes a day or 2 to clean up
- there are plenty of properties which are located on the road which run down to the beach; I would only purchase a lot or home that is 2 or 3 lots away from the beach; same reason as the first issue; I have seen buses line up the streets and use up everyone's parking spaces (for apartments that exist there)
- there are plenty of lots for sale around the lagoon area but upon closer look, some of the lots seem rather lower than the surrounding lots; not sure how good of a building lot this will be
- there are also some skeleton homes that are for sale (cement block structures);

Thanks,
Maryanne
Good advice Maryanne! I reccommend higher ground, away from the beaches, to get more breeze and less salt spray, possibly safer from rogue waves (despite the reef). The corrosion on beachfront properties is wicked.
Also ensure you are not close to any commercial enterprizes of any kind!
Costambar has been our home for more than 15 years, we love it. By the way, work is in progress to fix the entry road! Canadian Bob.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Yes Maryanne...very good items to consider. Thank you. Yes...like I said I wish to build a home. We would live in it off and on from September to April...let friends and family use it other times. To hot for me during the summer.

Thanks Again.

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
One thing I forgot to mention. I was there during the earthquake and there was not too much damage in Costambar. Months later, when the report was published (I forgot by whom), it stated that Costambar suffered minimal damage because most of the land there is higher than the ocean. Another plus for Costambar.

I love Costambar and so does my family. I'm there at least 4 - 5 times per year and we always rent apartments in a good building (generator!!!). I'll be there soon (March 9th until the 20th).

Will either of you be around (CanadianBob or Snuffy).

Bob, I'm a Canadian too!

Maryanne

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Costambar is a nice area. Our house is on the golf course, and we have had minimal problems with it. I think one of the bonuses with being higher up is that you can have a great view and flooding is less likely.

I also love how in my house we get the trade winds so in the summer months like august it is never too hot. We can sit on the porch and feel the breezes.

I am sure that I will have people disagree - but I love sundays when people come to the beach. It is the same in costambar as it is in sosua, playa grande and along the malecons. Sunday is the day for family and friends - so when the beaches get packed I enjoy the life that comes to beach.

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
We love Costambar & travel there every spring. We especially enjoy Samana Santa and all the activity at the beach, and is 'our choice' time to vacation there. If we were to purchase property abroad, this is where we would look. It's peaceful but not isolated.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Toronto2inDR said:
I live in Costambar for 2 years and now that I'm out Sosua way I avoid Costambar like the plague.

Toronto...what did you not like about Costambar? I see Sosua and Costambar like night and day.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
maryanne said:
One thing I forgot to mention. I was there during the earthquake and there was not too much damage in Costambar. Months later, when the report was published (I forgot by whom), it stated that Costambar suffered minimal damage because most of the land there is higher than the ocean. Another plus for Costambar.

I love Costambar and so does my family. I'm there at least 4 - 5 times per year and we always rent apartments in a good building (generator!!!). I'll be there soon (March 9th until the 20th).

Will either of you be around (CanadianBob or Snuffy).

Bob, I'm a Canadian too!

Maryanne

Hi! My wife & I will be there too. Canadian Bob.

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
Canadian Bob, chances are we have passed each other some time over the past few years!

The entry road is always in need of repair and it doesn't take long before it's full of holes again. I just drive really slowly and around all of the holes!

Do you know if Buddies is still open? The last time I was in town, Robert was in Canada and he had closed Buddies down for an extended period of time.

Thanks,
Maryanne

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
Jenny's Market

We arrive late on Good Friday (after 9:30). Does anyone know if Jenny's Market (or any other market) will be open late on Good Friday?