Just got back from the DR

ColoradoGirl

Jan 30, 2005
Hello everyone..
Well we just got back from the DR and spent 12 days there. I have to tell you this was my first trip and I absolutley LOVED it! We stayed in Juan Dolio, but spent most of our time in Santo Domingo. I have never experienced anything like it. I dove right into the people, food, and culture. My family and I are moving there on April 1st. We already have our house and just wrapping up things here in Ft. Lauderdale. I heard that Americans can go to the Embassy and be put on a list with other Americans on the list. They do 4th of July and things like that. Does anyone know about this? Thanks for all the insite on the DR1.... It really helped me when I went!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You should always register at the Embassy

You really register at the United States Consulate, so that in case of emergencies you can be located or the body identified.

Hope you enjoy you new home.

HB :D:D

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
kellyvalles said:
Hello everyone..
Well we just got back from the DR and spent 12 days there. I have to tell you this was my first trip and I absolutley LOVED it! We stayed in Juan Dolio, but spent most of our time in Santo Domingo. I have never experienced anything like it. I dove right into the people, food, and culture. My family and I are moving there on April 1st. We already have our house and just wrapping up things here in Ft. Lauderdale. I heard that Americans can go to the Embassy and be put on a list with other Americans on the list. They do 4th of July and things like that. Does anyone know about this? Thanks for all the insite on the DR1.... It really helped me when I went!

Happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the Dominican Republic. I have been there quite a few times myself. Having made Dominican friends, these days I go there to meet those people and not so much for the country as such. I mean, you go to Norway to see the country and to DR to visit friends. This is my feeling.

I am notoriously curious about people who manage to relocate to DR. So I have two questions:

1) You write that this was your first visit to DR. And then you write that you have a house and is moving there!? Huh?

2) You write that you "..have never experienced anything like it." That sounds like a comparison to me. So may I ask what other comparable destinations you have visited?

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
HI Kelly, if I remember well, you are the Mary Kay lady, right? What was your impression of the city of Santo Domingo? What did you like the most/least?

ColoradoGirl

Jan 30, 2005
Hi all,

Ok First to Voyager. Yes this was my first visit. My husband has been many times. I have seen so much about it from books, vidoe he brought back and pics etc. So I guess when you ask what am I comparing it to... it would be where I grew up in the US. The whole purpose of this trip was for us to go down and find a private school for my daughter and to find a house. Moving there was never a question...its just a matter of when. We are coming on March 31st!

You know my husband and I have always been risk takers. We jump right in with both feet. We believe to live on faith not fear. So although this is a big move we are extremely excited about it. Thanks for your thoughts about it!

Hi Juan Carlos,

Yes I am the Mary Kay lady! Thanks for remembering me. Wow... the city of Santo Domingo. I first have to tell you that I was told by another DR1'er to get the thoughts of Sandy beaches out of my head, so thats exactly what I did. In Fact, the only time I saw the beach was one time when we went to look at property.

I completely dove right into the community. Through friend and family we know many people there already. So It was not difficult for me at all. I soaked it all up. One of the things I loved is how spanish started to make sense to me. I know understand the importance of being surrounded by it everyday. The people were wonderful. My uncle was telling me many are poor in money but not spirit and he was so right. I alos loved all the little Bodaga's (Did I spell that right?) and how the man would come right to your door or window on his motorcycle and drop it off to you in minutes. Another thing that shocked me was many of these men who have little money were riding around on there mototrcycles in nice pressed shirts and pants with a tie. Many were better dressed than many I have seen in states!

A few things I think I will need to get used to is the traffic! WOW! No rules seem to apply there. The trash was a little overwhelming but the longer I was there the less it bothered me. Also the guys onthe street. I was a little uncomfortable when they come right to the glass an put whatever they are selling in front of you for quite a few minutes as though you did not already see it. But again...the more I was there the easier it became for me!

And I have some customers already so I am thrilled! Thanks for all your input! Maybe we will met in SD!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
kellyvalles said:
Hello everyone..

Normally people in countries for extended periods or living as expat residents would register at the embassy or consulate - the registration helps them keep track in case of a big problem, war, disaster , etc. . I'd register in Haiti or the Congo for example on day one but not for a vacation in Juan Dolio. Since you are moving there it would be a good idea.

I am amazed you have a first trip in February and are moving there 2 months later? Why?

ColoradoGirl

Jan 30, 2005
ricktoronto said:
Normally people in countries for extended periods or living as expat residents would register at the embassy or consulate - the registration helps them keep track in case of a big problem, war, disaster , etc. . I'd register in Haiti or the Congo for example on day one but not for a vacation in Juan Dolio. Since you are moving there it would be a good idea.

I am amazed you have a first trip in February and are moving there 2 months later? Why?

Ready for the move. This has always been planned we were just wrapping up loose ends onthe past trip! Do you live there?

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Good report, Kelly. The best thing is your positive outlook and that you are a creative and enthusiastic lady, it shows in the fact that you already have customers there! Good luck to you and continue to share your impressions with us as you and your husband initiate a new life.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
kellyvalles said:
You know my husband and I have always been risk takers. We jump right in with both feet. We believe to live on faith not fear.
Whatever you do in life, never lose this side of you!

This is what makes life so much more exciting rather than a redundant slavery to a monotony of things to do.

With your optimism levels, you will most likely be fine once you make your move.

Living in this country is exciting every single day, because there is no way on earth to predict what will happen in any given day! Despite the fact that that is true to a certain extent in other countries, the reality is that most people pretty much know how their day will turn out in most developed countries. For example, the vast majority will wake up early, head for work, head home, eat something, watch tv and sleep. Such pattern rarely is broken.

But, here in the DR, even if you are a passive person, you may wake up early and head for work, but boy, everyday you'll have a great story of what happened!

Here is a tip: make the habit of writing a journal of your everyday experiences here in the DR. Once you have enough "meat" or stories, think of publishing it into a book. Some of the best selling books are books about real people having extraordinary or weird lives.

Your story (as with most people) will most likely be of excellent quality. Imagine all the books that many DR1ers could have been profiting from if they simply would focus on their day to day experiences here in the DR.

BTW, Welcome!!

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Nal0whs said:
Imagine all the books that many DR1ers could have been profiting from if they simply would focus on their day to day experiences here in the DR.

BTW, Welcome!!

Amazon top-sellers.....the first author should be Cleef, he should've had a blog when he was down there. The 2nd person to write a book should be Criss Colon. The next one should be Golo but he only comes on to lurk nowadays..........then Pib and Chiri. Great group right there.....

ColoradoGirl

Jan 30, 2005
Thank you for adding to my thread! I love to hear everyones opinions! Its funny how you all can hear my personality coming out through the email. I am definitley looking forward to waking each morning in the DR and LIVING life to the fullest. I will also keep tabs with DR1 for info.

By the way, thanks for the advise to journal... that is a great idea! I will strat soon. ;)

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
I'm curious to know........

.....If you don't mind answering the following.... Why would you want to abandon Ft. Lauderdale for the DR? What attracted you to our poor little island?, Do you intent to stay long, Ie, more than a year?....Do you or spouse speak Dominican?, How will you cope with the outrageously high cost of living, as opposed to Fla? What's the catch? Why,why,why?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Don't! You'll only encourage them... er, us

Jon S. said:
Amazon top-sellers.....the first author should be Cleef, he should've had a blog when he was down there. The 2nd person to write a book should be Criss Colon. The next one should be Golo but he only comes on to lurk nowadays..........then Pib and Chiri. Great group right there.....

Ooh, I'm so flattered. :classic: It actually inspired me to dust off my abandoned attempt at the great DR expat memoir.

There are, of course, several more here with great stories to tell: Lambada, Hillbilly and others.

Talented bunch!

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Don Juan said:
.....If you don't mind answering the following.... Why would you want to abandon Ft. Lauderdale for the DR? What attracted you to our poor little island?, Do you intent to stay long, Ie, more than a year?....Do you or spouse speak Dominican?, How will you cope with the outrageously high cost of living, as opposed to Fla? What's the catch? Why,why,why?

Comment:
Seems to me, there must be very special circumstances around this relocation!? Kellyvalles is moving to a place she'd never been to when the move was decided and after her single visit, she is comparing it to what it's like back home and not to another tropical destination.

I am NOT making this comment to be grumpy; just wanted to point out that this move appears to be a little extraordinary.

Anyway, for whatever reason, I wish her and her family all the best!

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Nal0whs said:
Living in this country is exciting every single day, because there is no way on earth to predict what will happen in any given day! Despite the fact that that is true to a certain extent in other countries, the reality is that most people pretty much know how their day will turn out in most developed countries. For example, the vast majority will wake up early, head for work, head home, eat something, watch tv and sleep. Such pattern rarely is broken.

I feel confused by your comment?

"...exciting every single day..."??? You mean, if you will survive traffic or not? If there is another power outage or not? If the barman will know what a Dry Martini is? (I have never had a decent Dry Martini in DR! Aarrggh)

About the pattern of breakfast, work, chores, dinner, TV and sleep... Is that not the normal pattern also for people in the Dominican Republic? It certainly is the life for my friends in Santo Domingo! Well, except one of them, who has three jobs, in order to be able to save a few extra pesos. Her life is work, eat, sleep, work, eat, sleep, work, eat, sleep, work... Very exciting...

Or is there some kind of magic, that I have missed during my regular visits to DR these last 5 years?

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Voyager said:
I feel confused by your comment?

If the barman will know what a Dry Martini is? (I have never had a decent Dry Martini in DR! Aarrggh)

They forget about the Vermouth.........

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Jon S. said:

Hahaha, they most certainly do! As a matter of fact, they forget about most things! No vermouth, no gin, no sliver of lemon peel, no olives, no nothing...

And I have had bartenders asking me if i want my Dry Martini served on the rocks!?!?!?!?!?!?!? A Dry Martini on the rocks???? Jesus, Mary and Josef! Have mercy upon our expat souls!

The simple conclusion is that those so called "barmen" most often suffer from selective hearing and lack of skills and happily serve "martini"! Rosso or Blanco.

Before someone tells me to do in Rome what the Romans do... I know! I know! I know! I know! I know! But I just happen to enjoy Dry Martinis and then I don't care if I am in Rome or Santo Domingo...

ColoradoGirl

Jan 30, 2005
In response to my enthusiasm

OK everybody... I just love hearing what you all have to say! The good, bad and the ugly! This move is definitly extrodinary . We own over 500 acres of land and have a business here in SD. Yes, all I have to compare it to is the US. No other tropical destinations. But then again...most people will compare it to what they know best. For me thats growing up in Colorado with blizzards. Now in Florida, which I do love, but I am ready for a complete life change. I have such an open mind about it. I was sad when I had to come home even for just a month to pack up. Also the the person who emailed me about your friend who works, eats and sleeps daily and does again the next day. My family is definitly prepared financially to make the move. so this is not really the issue for me. My issue is learning the language and the culture. You know the DO and Do NOTS. I think if you have been coming for 5 years and do not understand the hype of why move here then this just isnt the place for you. Thats ok...if everyone wanted to come here it would be a moad house. But for my family and I we are EXCITED!!!

I know I am the newbie... but life is good and its only getting better! DR here we come! By the way... You know we definitly have to get together for some Presedente on the Malecon!!!!

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
no dryer than that

Jon S. said:

no vermouth equals a completely dry martini. some bartenders simply whisper "vermouth" over the glass. can't imagine how hard it would be to order a completely dry martini...just order it with gin/vodka solo....