Buying property $120,000 ?? close to diving locations

malcolm William

Mar 1, 2005
I am looking leaving England and buying a place in Dom Rep, I am hoping to work as a diving instructor although I have not looked into the work side as I have just qualified, we have around $120,000 to invest, do i have to buy up north if so, if i bought say out of the town area, 30 min ride to work what kind of property could i get, apartment, detached property ???? Help, too broke to come over and look at the moment !!!

;)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You Are "AT LEAST" A Year Away From Needing To Ask Those Questions!

First you need to live here for six months to see what you think about living here.You need to see if you CAN get a job,and how much it pays.Can you live on what you make? Buying a property is the very last thing you need to think about!!!Rent where you want to live.Leave your money in England,it is a good place to be able to go back to if needed!
The DR is expensive! It is not a "Tropical Paradise" where you can live on the beach and pick fruit to live!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Too broke to come & look but prepared to sink $120,000 in a property? That could be a recipe for becoming even more broke........I don't want to be unkind, but you have to do your homework. Look around, talk to people who live here etc. The advise as always would be to rent first, take your time, make sure this country is for you....it isn't for everyone. I, too, am a Brit. & we moved here over 12 years ago & love it, but I can think of an awful lot of people who came.......and went.
Yes, you can get properties for the amount you identified & certainly properties will be cheaper away from the tourist areas. But if you want to live inland in a more 'no gringo' setting........how much do you know about this sort of lifestyle? Do you speak Spanish? Have you in fact visited the DR before?

malcolm William

Mar 1, 2005
Lambada said:
Too broke to come & look but prepared to sink $120,000 in a property? That could be a recipe for becoming even more broke........I don't want to be unkind, but you have to do your homework. Look around, talk to people who live here etc. The advise as always would be to rent first, take your time, make sure this country is for you....it isn't for everyone. I, too, am a Brit. & we moved here over 12 years ago & love it, but I can think of an awful lot of people who came.......and went.
Yes, you can get properties for the amount you identified & certainly properties will be cheaper away from the tourist areas. But if you want to live inland in a more 'no gringo' setting........how much do you know about this sort of lifestyle? Do you speak Spanish? Have you in fact visited the DR before?

thanks for reply, I have been looking for a place to live for a few years, spent 6 months in France, 6 months in S.Africa and 8 months in Thailand. I know i will have to come out to DR but just haven't got the finances after coming back from Thailand a month ago, I am taking spanish lessons as my mother in law speaks fluent spanish, i appreciate you have to live somewhere before I 'sold up'. This website has got me hooked and i haven't been to DR yet ! It was my first question i've asked and didn't really expect an answer ! pipe dreams at the moment.. chucked a few questions and see what happened ??
Love to live in a detached property, no mortgage and a diving job... we can but dream.... thanks for the reply, love to hear some advice from you..
malc ;)

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Totally do-able

another Brit here, what you suggest is absolutely do-able.

get your butt on a Thomson cheapy flight and check it all out.

Pukie

Oct 28, 2004
Malcolm,

Look in the Real Estate section, Plenty of places for under $120,000

Just don't expect your 'dream place in the sun', they START a lot higher.

When we were looking, 100k could have got us a luxury 1bd apartment but with a view of next doors roof or a perfectly located but pokey place. ie for that budget there will be a compomise somewhere, ... it depends what you are used to.

AS GSUK said Get yourself on that plane, then get out and about
You really can't visualise the DR from a website (at least I could'nt)

I'd imagine getting a job that pays well enough would be the biggest problem.
(I if could figure that one out I'd be doing it!)

Luke

malcolm William

Mar 1, 2005
Sunset over the car park....

Cheers mate for the reply,

i've just emailed a PADI centre in Sosua where an english guy has been working for a year.... see what happens,

Its snowing at the moment....nice.

I've got the most fantastic view from my office watching the sun set over the car park and railway lines.

inspiring.

Malc

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
This is not the paradise one may think it is to operate a business.

When you set up a tourist oriented business you need a money reserve to pay off all legal, semi-legal, and pay-offs for the permits you require. Then depending on the government bureacracy for the beach area you may have to pay a commission to the dive company that has rights operate in that whole tourist zone. You pay rent and a commission to the owner of the beach from where you operate. You pay a commission to any official that approaches you. You pay, pay, pay, pay.

I have an aquaintance who had a dive operation here. He started off well with promise. But, now because of his own mismanagment and aggrevated by the commission system he is now basically bankrupt, just the house is left, and that may go soon. To pay off all his debts and favors, he sold out everything, equipment, and truck. Sad story but true.

Visit the island, work with a dive shop to get a feel for the place. Then, decide what you want to do with the $120,000.

Regards,
PJT

malcolm William

Mar 1, 2005
thanks for advice,

catch 22 sometimes, a lot safer to set up a business in UK with the tight regulations but thats the reason i want to leave ! and who wants to go diving off Brighton pier at -2 degrees in the summer, dodging all sorts of floating things ?

It's a shame it's so complicated to live a chilled, little lazy existance in paradise. Anything for an easy life.

malc

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
New people frequently don't find life 'easy' here.......they find it 'different'. There are stress levels here..........PJT identifies some in relation to setting up a business. There are others......dealing with Dominican bureaucracy, for example.
So, any rose tinted perceptions need to be removed, & as we all say, check it out for yourself, in person, meet expats out here, believe only a quarter of what we all tell you, check it out again, err on the side of caution & never sink your nest egg in a property unless you are convinced this is the country for you.

I understand you want to reach out to those of us who have done it, & that's fine. But it is a lot better face to face, when you can make your own judgements as to what you're being told.

I now do find life easy out here........but it has taken me 12 years to amass enough know how as to how things operate. And I'm a retired person so not looking for a job, although I have worked here in the past.

As before, do a cheapy last minute booking, get out & about, & ask, ask, ask.
And good luck with your dream.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
What a Deal I Have for You

I'll sell you my place for $100,000.00 and pay your first two years of condominium assessments up front. Nice place, plenty of room and well maintained.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
malcolm William said:
thanks for advice,

catch 22 sometimes, a lot safer to set up a business in UK with the tight regulations but thats the reason i want to leave ! and who wants to go diving off Brighton pier at -2 degrees in the summer, dodging all sorts of floating things ?

It's a shame it's so complicated to live a chilled, little lazy existance in paradise. Anything for an easy life.

malc

Malc,

Doing business in any country is complicated. If I were you I'd see about getting a job at the place in Sosua (excellent dive operation) or there is another one in Rio San Juan (gri-gri divers). Sosua/Cabarete are much more expensive than Rio San Juan due to the heavy tourist crowd there. But then that helps the job market (catch 22).

Best of all, there are lots of expats here to help you cry in your Presidente when things don't go well for you! :-D

malcolm William

Mar 1, 2005
Cheers for that, i'll contact gri-gri divers as well,

thanks for all the advice, it's given me a much better insight into the place, normally i'm talking to ex-pats over drunken evenings and by morning forgotten it all, at least I can discuss things sober and remember it !

I like the sound of the presidente thing, when things are getting to much you can always rely on booze.

It's my best friend, my dog a close second.......oh and the girlfriend !!!

malc

:glasses: