Caribe bus from Sosua to Samana ??

Gertje

Jan 2, 2005
Is there still a Caribe bus going at 7h30 from Sosua to Samana ?
If not, is there an alternative (bus, guagua, ...) ?
I would like to go the day before Easter, or can I better forget about that ? :cry:

Thanks in advance for any info,
Gert

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think it is earlier than that

However, on that day you had better get up real early since a lot of people tend to move around then.
Good luck:D:D

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No, that bus route was terminated by Caribe Tours a month or two ago.

There is a "public" bus that starts in Puerto Plata and passes through Sosua about 7 am. Wait along side the road and flag it down. It is maroon in color and has a Puerto Plata-Samana sign on the front.

Gertje

Jan 2, 2005
Thanks Ken and HB

Thanks Ken and HB,

I guess I'll get up really early in the morning and wait for this bus at the entrance of town.

If this bus should already be full, I suppose I could still take the Caribe bus going SD and switch busses were it intersects with the line going from SD to Samana.

Best regards,
Gert

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Bus or Plane

Gertje said:
.... take the Caribe bus going SD and switch busses were it intersects with the line going from SD to Samana.

Well, unless you do fancy bus rides and are on a very tight budget, you may consider flying.
The two legs with the bus will take you the whole day (or even two, if things don't go smoothly).
If you can share the costs for a small plane into El Portillo you would only have to pay approx. 35 or 40 U$ more.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Gertje, I've taken the bus a number of times and it has never been full. Besides, in the DR there is always room for one more. The bus will get you to Samana about 10:15 am.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Ken said:
No, that bus route was terminated by Caribe Tours a month or two ago.

There is a "public" bus that starts in Puerto Plata and passes through Sosua about 7 am. Wait along side the road and flag it down. It is maroon in color and has a Puerto Plata-Samana sign on the front.
The amazing part of this, is that the maroon bus doesn't come back this way.
It must be on some big loop that takes them down South and comes back the following day.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Rocky said:
The amazing part of this, is that the maroon bus doesn't come back this way.
It must be on some big loop that takes them down South and comes back the following day.

Since when, Rocky. I haven't taken the bus for a few months, but always before it returned the same day, leaving Samana at 2 pm and getting me back to Sosua about 5:30 pm. Since the bus originates in Puerto Plata, it is hard to believe it has changed its route that much.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Ken said:
Since when, Rocky. I haven't taken the bus for a few months, but always before it returned the same day, leaving Samana at 2 pm and getting me back to Sosua about 5:30 pm. Since the bus originates in Puerto Plata, it is hard to believe it has changed its route that much.
I'm relying on what people have told me who took it out there but said there was no return. If you know differently, please let us know, as it really is inconvenient now that we don't have the Caribe Tour bus going out there. anymore.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Rocky said:
I'm relying on what people have told me who took it out there but said there was no return. If you know differently, please let us know, as it really is inconvenient now that we don't have the Caribe Tour bus going out there. anymore.

Rocky, will do. I'll check on bus service from Samana. Will be very surprised if that bus is no longer making the round trip each day.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
I took the "purple bus" back from Sanchez at about 2:30 pm around two months ago, so i suspect it leaves Samana around 2:00 pm. Frankly I wouldn't recommend it, it was the longest 4 hours of my life.

Joe

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
CyaBye3015 said:
I took the "purple bus" back from Sanchez at about 2:30 pm around two months ago, so i suspect it leaves Samana around 2:00 pm. Frankly I wouldn't recommend it, it was the longest 4 hours of my life.

Joe
That's the Caribe Tour bus that's been cancelled.
In fact, I think they cancelled it the day after you used it.
What the heck did you do to that bus, Joe?

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Rocky said:
That's the Caribe Tour bus that's been cancelled.
In fact, I think they cancelled it the day after you used it.
What the heck did you do to that bus, Joe?

Actually Mark I did ride the public bus, but I think the Caribe Tour bus was still running at that time. We were given bad advice by the locals, we were told that was the only bus to Sousa.

Joe

Gertje

Jan 2, 2005
Ken said:

That's probably correct. When I arrived at POP airport and took a taxi to Sosua, the maroon bus drove by in the opposite direction around 5:30 pm.
I took this maroon bus the next morning at 7:05 am to Samana.

In Samana at the local bus terminal near the market, there are two buses scheduled for Puerto Plata, one at 10:00 am, a white bus with blue that I took on my journey back, and another at 2:00 pm, which I'm sure must be the maroon bus.

Gert