Back from my adventure

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
I got back from the DR on Monday night. From beautiful weather right into a snow storm. My adventure began on Feb. 29. I went to the airport with my wife and two kids, three of us had expired passports. I brought birth certificates for my kids and some how believed that all my wife and I needed were drivers lisences. When I got to the ticket counter I was informed that I needed my birth certificate along with my wifes. I called a neighbor and had them look for our birth certificates. Of course they could only find my wifes. I had my brother go and pick up the birth certificate along with a brief case where I believed that my birth certificate may be. My brother got to the airport in the nick of time (this is why they say get to the airport three hours prior to flight) I went through my brief case and could not find my birth certificate. My wife and children got on the plane and flew down to the DR. Delta airlines was great and put me on standby for the next flight. I then got back in my brothers car and was heading back to Westchester to look for my birth certificate. I started going through my brief case a little less frantacally this time and of course I found it after the plane took off. I then went to lunch in Queens and then went back to the airport nice and early. I got a standby boarding pass and was told I looked as if I would get on the flight. I was given a seat and was about to board the plane when my name was announced to go to the counter. I was asked if I could change seats so a family of four could sit together. I said no problem. The woman at the counter than upgraded me to first class at no extra charge. I finally got on the plane and started my drinking a little early. I arrived in SDQ and walked off the flight with no bags, talk about nice and easy. I was greeted by my father-inlaw and a couple of friends. We bought a couple of Preidentes for the ride back to Villa Mella. It was actually a little cool when I arrived and my mother-inlaw stole my jacket. We hung out for a few hours drinking and talking. Day two consisted of going to Boca Chica Beach with the family. We first took a ride by the house that we are renivating. There have been big improvements since we were last there in August. The house should be habitable soon. I also decided that I would have a small inground pool built on the property (no controversy this time). I have tickets for April so I hope to be buying furniture for the house then. Any way after we visited at the house we drove to the beach. I thought the water was a little cold but my daughters did not. We also did alot of drinking at the beach. Day three consisted of us going to Juan Dolio Beach. The weather was getting hotter by the day and the water appeared to be a little more tolerable. Once again a lot of presidentes. Day four We went and visited family in the capital and hung out drinking on their roof. We then went to dinner on the Malecon to one of my favorite restaurants La Bahia. I ate my ussual lobster mofungo. Day five we went to Agua Splash water park in the capital and a good time was had by all. I highly reccomend this place to anyone with kids. There are water slides for all ages. The price for admission is very cheap I believe 150 pesos for kids under 12 and 250 pesos over 12. Day six we had a cook out at our house in Boca Chica. We brought a bunch of chairs from Villa Mella with us. I walked to the beach from the house. This was the first time I had done this and it took me about 10 minutes. I was also dragging along my 5 and 7 year old so it is a lot closer than it sounds. Once again the weather is getting hotter and the water is feeling good. Day seven was nice and quiet. We hung around Villa Mella going for a couple of long walks. At night my in-laws watched the kids and I drove to the capital with the wife and hit a couple of clubs and went back to Villa Mella and hit a couple of clubs there. Day eight was the day we were to leave. We go to SDQ and was told that Delta had over booked and offered us 4 roundtrip tickets worth 400 dollars each and a night at the Hamaca. The girls were going to miss one day of school and we were all going to gain a free vacation courtesy of Delta Airlines. I actually enjoyed the Hamaca. The pools were nice, the jacuzzi was nice clean and you could smell the clorine in the pool which I prefer knowing that the pool is actually being maintained. The food at the Hamaca was alright nothing special. The rooms were Ok not 5 star like we were told but they did the job. Who was I to complain anyway. The only thing I really disliked about the Hamaca was the service at the front desk. They were extremely slow and I thought they were lazy trying to pawn off there work on each other. We flew out the next day right into a snow storm in New York. Overall a very good trip considering how it started out. I am going back in April and hope to get bumped by the airline again. I guess I'll probabally fly back with the family in the summer time now. Peace

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Hey jruane, nice post
first class seat and free vacation? I wish i had your luck.