Trip to Boca Chica weekend of the 18th

Isus112

Jun 30, 2004
ok, so I've just about exhausted the search capabilities and am now red eyed and still looking for some solid info on booking this trip, I'm sure this post is a dupe of many others but here goes.

I'm about to start planning a trip for me and two buddies (one is getting married as soon as we get back to nyc!) the responsibility to get the hotel and other arrangements setup has been laid upon me and I dont have much time so I could really use some pointers. I've been to the DR before, but not to BC, i stayed in punta cana at the iberostar bravarro (very nice but too much of a packaged vaca for me) basically what I'm trying to set up is a fairly inexpensive seat of your pants kind of trip to BC, I heard the nightlife is great and the women even greater, but, I'm trying to get an idea of what the best place to stay in BC might be for us. all inclusive would be nice for free drinks before going out, but we would want to be able to bring chicas back to our rooms without worry and have the basic stuff sorted like AC and clean bathrooms etc.

any replies greatly appreciated the clocks tickin!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Hotel Zapata in Boca Chica...

may be a good option for you. I have stayed there twice(October and December of 2004). The setup is nice, with access to the beach. The staff are great and very friendly and really help you with anything you may need. They have an area with lounge chairs and a bar that is really great to hang out day or evening. And if I am not mistaken it is only $45 a night.

As for drinks, you could run a tab at the bar or just go to the supermarket and stock up. The rooms, though basic, are well-kept-the cleaning staff are very attentive. They do not have refrigerators so you may just want to pick up a styrofoam cooler and fill it up with ice.

Their security is also very tight. Your "guests" will be asked to hand over their cedulas(i.D. cards stating that they are over 18, you may want to check them yourself before you have anyone over) which will be returned to them once they leave.

As for the nightlife, Boca Chica is experiencing a surge in police activity towards the working girls on Avenida Duarte, and a few reports have stated that the bars along that street are pretty much dead at night. The disco to go to(or at least the one that's still open on Avenida Duarte) is Burbuja(I think that's the name) but I also heard that Presidente beers are 100 pesos a pop in there as opposed to 50-60 pesos as they should be. So you may want to drink somewhere else.

As for the girls, I can send you a personal message about that if you like.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Berzin said:
..and a few reports have stated that the bars along that street are pretty much dead at night.
I believe ALL the bars on Duarte are still closed. I will be down there this weekend and report when I get back.

Isus112

Jun 30, 2004
It's dissapointing to hear that the town is dead! but I'm hoping "dead" to a first time visitor wont be that bad compared to the veteran visitors who are used to 100% action.

Berzin - thanks for the tip on the hotel, I looked it up and from what I've found and what you said this looks perrrfect ;)

please feel free to msg me with ANY info you think might be useful, my brain is a bc sponge!

malay

Mar 4, 2005
Not Quite Dead

I am headed to Boca Chica march 17-21 and will be staying at the Hotel Zapata. I have talked to someone still in Boca Chica and she said the bars are opening back up and things should be as close to normal as possible by the time we arrive. Most of the working girls seem to be in the massage parlors and off of the streets.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
It's dissapointing to hear that the town is dead! but I'm hoping "dead" to a first time visitor wont be that bad compared to the veteran visitors who are used to 100% action.

Berzin - thanks for the tip on the hotel, I looked it up and from what I've found and what you said this looks perrrfect ;)

please feel free to msg me with ANY info you think might be useful, my brain is a bc sponge!

The Zapata is a family oriented place and if you have "friends" overnight they have to leave at 6 a.m. or you have to pay a fee. Possibly, other than AI's, the worst choice for your type of rambunctiousness. And I doubt it is only $45 a night as well.

You are arriving the start of Semana Santa on the 18th so you better get a few rooms quick as you may find no room at the inn.

Last edited by a moderator:

Isus112

Jun 30, 2004
ricktoronto - I would like to hear your suggestions if you would on what you think might be our best bet? I've already booked flights and am looking to book rooms or pref an apartment with 2 bedrooms.

thanks to everyone for their replies thus far! :nervous:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
ricktoronto - I would like to hear your suggestions if you would on what you think might be our best bet? I've already booked flights and am looking to book rooms or pref an apartment with 2 bedrooms.

thanks to everyone for their replies thus far! :nervous:

I can suggest searching on the terms Boca Chica and Hotel would result in many threads of value to you. You are arriving during the busiest vacation time of the year without a hotel, good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
I Agree!

ricktoronto said:
The Zapata is a family oriented place and if you have "friends" overnight they have to leave at 6 a.m. or you have to pay a fee. Possibly, other than AI's, the worst choice for your type of rambunctiousness. And I doubt it is only $45 a night as well.
I agree. Zapata is a poor choice for your type of vacation. I posted a review on the Zapata and two other hotels a year ago on a couple of "travel sites."

The review is listed below:

I spent 5 nights in Boca Chica in March 2004 and stayed at the La
Zapata, El Candil, and El Caucho (El Gaucho).

NOTE: Star(*) rating is not relative to hotels in the DR, but all
hotels.

Hotel Zapata: **
www.hotelzapata.com

1 night (Friday)

PRICE: $45 a night ($35 online deposit + $10)

UPSIDE: Chica friendly (no guest charge), on the beach, room safe,
A/C and fan

DOWNSIDE: Very small rooms, no pool, 13" TV (handful of
channels), no fridge

COMMENTS: I initially booked 5 nights at La Zapata, but changed my
reservation to 1 night based on advice from a friend. Although, I had
reserved a room on the second floor over looking the beach, this room
was not vacant when I arrived. The knobs on the A/C were broke, so I
was unable to adjust the temperature or airflow. The bathroom does
not have a closing locking door, but two swinging doors that are
hinged to the side of the doorframe. I was very disappointed with
condition of my room and spent 2 hours the following morning looking
for better accommodations.

El Candil: ***
www.comdata.nl/hotel-boca-chica-candil

3 nights (Saturday ? Monday)

Price: $45 a night + $1/day for key to room safe (optional)

UPSIDE: Chica friendly (no guest charge), clean elegant pool, room
safe, large rooms (living room and bedroom), A/C and fan, 13"
cable TV (adult channel, and programming in English and Spanish),
mini kitchen with fridge, management is cool and accommodating,
balcony with a view, door w/ a bolt, 1 bar and a restaurant, 5 minute
walk to the beach, electronically gated

DOWNSIDE: Security is tight, but this may be a plus for some

COMMENTS: I really enjoyed my stay here. Guiseppe, is a good guy and
will take good care of you. Book in advance, because this place can
fill up.

El Caucho (El Gaucho): **1/2
1 night (Tuesday)

PRICE: $35 a night (I was charged $30)

UPSIDE: Chica friendly (no guest charge), clean elegant pool, A/C,
13" cable TV (didn't have time to browse the channels),
management is cool and accommodating, mini-mini kitchen with fridge,
2 bars and a restaurant, 5 minute walk to the beach

DOWNSIDE: No room safe, small room, no bolt for door

COMMENTS: I was really impressed with the hospitality and service at
El Caucho. The hotel has been under new management since Fall 2003
and these guys seem to really care about satisfying their customers.
There are a couple of places at the hotel to lounge around in and get
a drink. One of the hottest chicas [dark, tall(5'9), very thin, huge
breasts(DD), tight ***] I saw in BC works the bar there (never got
her name).

Although, when I return to Boca Chica, I may stay at another hotel, I
highly recommend El Candil. The staff and management at El Caucho are
young, cool, and accommodating, but I would only return if some of
the room accoutrements were upgraded, or if that hot chica is still
there. I do not intend to return to Hotel Zapata.

-Helpmann

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
El Caucho

I just stayed at El Caucho for 3 days and really enjoyed it. The owners are all very cool and make sure their guests are happy. I ate at their Italian restaurant all 3 nights and I am a very picky eater.

I will definitely be staying there when in Boca Chica.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
rafael said:
I just stayed at El Caucho for 3 days and really enjoyed it. The owners are all very cool and make sure their guests are happy. I ate at their Italian restaurant all 3 nights and I am a very picky eater.

I will definitely be staying there when in Boca Chica.

Just back myself on friday (still promising a full trip report). There is basicaly no nightlife on duarte anymore (there is a new disco about a block or two west from the "central park" that i can imagine would be any straight guy going there to chica chase dream (hee hee..not my thing...but YOU might like it). THere are still pleanty of girls to meet...but they are no longer on duarte (except for at isla bonita).

I statyed at costalunga this past visit (i prefer el candil..but they were sold out). If you guys are on the roudier side...then i would recommend costalunga over candil. Candil prefers their guests to be a bit low keyed (something i prefer).

WEll...like i said..i plan on writting full report (hopefully tonight) and posting it either tonight or tomorrow.

BUt if you are looking for the wild party scene of calle duarte of the past....it AINT there no more.

Ok...gotta run an errand here...and HOPEFULLY i will be able to write my trip report undisturbed tonight :) hopefully you will find some helpful info there when i post it.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
BC info?

jrzyguy,

Do they still block Duarte off to traffic in the evenings if there is no nightlife going on?

Also, do you know if Darpathan Restaurante is still open? It?s German, I think, on Duarte next door to the entrance to Isla Bonita. I was befriended by a couple of ladies who worked there and I?d hate to think the situation in BC has damaged their livelihood.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Victor Laszlo said:
jrzyguy,

Do they still block Duarte off to traffic in the evenings if there is no nightlife going on?

Also, do you know if Darpathan Restaurante is still open? It?s German, I think, on Duarte next door to the entrance to Isla Bonita. I was befriended by a couple of ladies who worked there and I?d hate to think the situation in BC has damaged their livelihood.

very quickly here.....before i run to work.....yes the street is still blocked off at night....a couple of restaurants still put some tables and chairs out at night....and yes...the german restaurant is still open...and for some reason the girls at isla bonita are still able to strut their stuff. (i guess prostitution is OK if one wears a skimpy sailors suit lol). Like is said....there is still pleanty of action for ya'll "chica chasers"....but it has moved away from calle duarte....

(sigh)...i really missed the old duarte. There is basicaly NO nightlife at ALL left in BC....and i spent most nights hanging out at the hotel :-( :cry:

Isus112

Jun 30, 2004
wow that sucks to hear! I'm booked for the weekend of the 18th (which I'm told should be quite busy over there) :cry:

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
jrzyguy said:
(sigh)...i really missed the old duarte. There is basicaly NO nightlife at ALL left in BC....and i spent most nights hanging out at the hotel :-( :cry:
jrzyguy,

Thanks for the update. I'll look forward to your trip report. It's sad (for some, at least) to think of BC being so subdued.