Argentina or Chile

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I would like to go to one of these countries. Has anybody here flied from DR to Argentina or Chile? What is the best and cheapest alternative?

Any information of where to stay is also appreciated.

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
DR Mpe said:
I would like to go to one of these countries. Has anybody here flied from DR to Argentina or Chile? What is the best and cheapest alternative?

DR Mpe, your best bet would be Copa, they are the cheapest to my knowledge. American Airlines will kill you on the fare besides their service is really bad. If you get a chance to leave from the new york or miami area I would suggest Aerolineas Argentinas, service is very good and the planes are not that crowded. If you reserve in advance your ticket from santo domingo would be in the neighborhood of US850-US950, from new york you might get it, low season of course, in the neighborhood of 600-700. Hope that helps. Check this site, this are for tickets out of NYC www.1800argentina.com.

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
DR Mpe said:

Go to Argentina....Chile is not very nice. Argentina, while it has taken a major financial hit in the past 10 years is still a nice place to live/visit.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Castellamonte said:
...particularly if you are from Chile!

Even if you're not it is a stupid thing to say, and lacking any detail or justification for the point. Not that there is any. Having been there several times I can say it is totally inaccurate as well.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
No flights directly then?

Riu said:
DR Mpe, your best bet would be Copa, they are the cheapest to my knowledge. American Airlines will kill you on the fare besides their service is really bad. If you get a chance to leave from the new york or miami area I would suggest Aerolineas Argentinas, service is very good and the planes are not that crowded. If you reserve in advance your ticket from santo domingo would be in the neighborhood of US850-US950, from new york you might get it, low season of course, in the neighborhood of 600-700. Hope that helps. Check this site, this are for tickets out of NYC www.1800argentina.com.

Like the ones to Venezuela?

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
I have the same concern as DR Mpe!

So there are actually no direct flights from Santo Domingo to such major destinations like Argentina and Chile??? People have to fly via USA?

Wow, DR is becoming more and more expensive by the minute! One of my ideas, IF relocating to DR, was to use it as a hub for exploring Central and South America. But if I have to fly via New York or Miami each time, geez...

Last edited:

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
Voyager said:

So there are actually no direct flights from Santo Domingo to such major destinations like Argentina and Chile??? People have to fly via USA?

Wow, DR is becoming more and more expensive by the minute! One of my ideas, IF relocating to DR, was to use it as a hub for exploring Central and South America. But if I have to fly via New York or Miami each time, geez...

American Airlines I believe has one but depending on time of the year. Voyager, the thing is that these airlines know the demand there is for flights in and out of DR, so they charge more (its a dirty game they play). In November I went to DR from Argentina via Copa and the plane was packed to the tilt. I tell you, I think there even were people clinging from the landing gear. The best thing to do is, if you must travel to another country do it in their low seasons if not you will pay the price.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Voyager said:

Well nobody actually said that since the reference to COPA are flights that connect in Panama City, not the USA. And not many would fly back to JFK to turn around and take South American flights that leave from Miami.

There is nowhere near the demand for non stop flights to S. America from the DR.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
An American co-worker hasbeen to Chile 2 timesin the last 2 years.

He took his Dominican girlfriend too! He loved it there.He took loads of pictures.It looks very "European",with modern touches,and clean as a whistle!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Criss Colon said:
He took his Dominican girlfriend too! He loved it there.He took loads of pictures.It looks very "European",with modern touches,and clean as a whistle!
Yes, Santiago de Chile is a nice metropolis.

Some of its skyscrapers in the area named "Manhattan" actually resembles a "waterdown" version of New York's most prominent buildings. That explains why they probably named that part of town "Manhattan".

The resort town on the Pacific coast (about a couple of hours drive from Santiago de Chile) known as Valparaiso is nice also. The beach, nice for those latitudes, they resemble those very wide beaches found along the eastern US.

Then again, Buenos Aires is nice as well, though it lacks the spectacular Andes Mountanous backdrop that Santiago de Chile has which adds to its allure.

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Criss Colon said:

Yep, very nice country! Pretty awesome to have breakfast in Santiago on a sunny (well, as sunny as it gets despite the smog!) warm terrace, dressed in T-shirt and then go skiing in Valle Nevada in the afternoon!

Valparaiso is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen! At night, it is just gorgeous at night with all the ligths climbing the slopes rising from the ocean.

Vina del Mar is a pretty little town, with increasing number of people investing in vacation accomodation.

And to be a Swede, visiting Chile was a huge advantage. Sweden made a big effort during the Pinochet era to welcome refugees and help people persecuted by the terror regime. I met many Chileans who greeted me in the Swedish language! They had returned home after having found shelter in Sweden. I met people thanking me, as a kind of representative of Sweden, for having saved the life of their relatives. Some of them had tears in their eyes and it was very emotional and humbling for me, to be face to face with someone, who had suffered torture but had managed to send away his children to safety in Sweden. I felt immensely proud of being Swedish at that moment. And immensely grateful for having been born in a safe country.