Trip to Samana- Any information/suggestions??

dananaomi

Mar 3, 2005
I will be on The SAmana Peninsula March 15th until the 20th. As of now I have booked a room at Club Bonito for the 5 nights. It seemed nice on the internet. Does anyone know anything about the place? I was also wondering about the whale watching excursions- will middle MArch be too late for that? What about bike and ATV renting? Where can I do this and how much does it cost? And as far as bike riding around the towns- is las terrenas too far on bike? Are the roads ok for bike riding (very hilly?) Any info would help.

Thanks!!

Dana

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Club Bonito is very nice indeed. Right on the beach and near the 'town' centre.

Going by what Ken posted a couple of days ago, the whale-watching season may well last into late March this year: the whales arrived later than usual but have gained momentum in the last week or two.

For rentals in Las Galeras go to Caribe Fun. There are a couple of other options but they are well-established and provide maps, ideas and helpful tips for their clients. The roads are mostly OK, but the trip to Playa Rincon (an absolute must) is bumpy and not passable by ordinary car - you need a 4WD, a trail bike or a quad to get there. Alternatively you can take the water taxi from Las Galeras beach.

I know people who have done the Las Galeras - Las Terrenas trip by motorbike so it certainly is possible.

I don't have the rental rates to hand but you can e-mail caribefun_wy@hotmail.com for more information.

Search the DR1 forums for recent info on the area, there have been several threads about Las Galeras, whale-watching etc.

Buen viaje and tell us how it all goes.

dananaomi

Mar 3, 2005
Chirimoya said:
Club Bonito is very nice indeed. Right on the beach and near the 'town' centre.

Going by what Ken posted a couple of days ago, the whale-watching season may well last into late March this year: the whales arrived later than usual but have gained momentum in the last week or two.

For rentals in Las Galeras go to Caribe Fun. There are a couple of other options but they are well-established and provide maps, ideas and helpful tips for their clients. The roads are mostly OK, but the trip to Playa Rincon (an absolute must) is bumpy and not passable by ordinary car - you need a 4WD, a trail bike or a quad to get there. Alternatively you can take the water taxi from Las Galeras beach.

I know people who have done the Las Galeras - Las Terrenas trip by motorbike so it certainly is possible.

I don't have the rental rates to hand but you can e-mail caribefun_wy@hotmail.com for more information.

Search the DR1 forums for recent info on the area, there have been several threads about Las Galeras, whale-watching etc.

Buen viaje and tell us how it all goes.

Thanks for the info Chiri! Very helpful :) I will be sure to exlore the area and let everyone know how it goes

ESOLteacher

Dec 14, 2004
Club Bonito

dananaomi said:
I will be on The SAmana Peninsula March 15th until the 20th. As of now I have booked a room at Club Bonito for the 5 nights. It seemed nice on the internet. Does anyone know anything about the place? I was also wondering about the whale watching excursions- will middle MArch be too late for that? What about bike and ATV renting? Where can I do this and how much does it cost? And as far as bike riding around the towns- is las terrenas too far on bike? Are the roads ok for bike riding (very hilly?) Any info would help.

Thanks!!

Dana

Club Bonito is very nice; I visited friends who stayed there in late January. When I stayed in Samana proper. They had no complaints. You MUST get to Playa Rincon - either on the back of a motoconcho, or by boat. Eat at the best restaurant ever there under a blue tarp. No menu -just ask to see what they have in their coolers today: lobster, fish, etc.

You are in luck for the whales which were few in Jan/Feb. They are late this year - perfect for you!

Go only with KIM BEDALL and Victoria Marine. Her boats are the most comfortable in the high seas and she is the most knowledgeable. In Samana, her office is 10 feet back from the Malecon (main street). Behind BAMBOO restaurant (used to be called CAMILO'S). Try to reserve ahead of time. She is well worth whatever she charges you, and is fair and honnest.

Other boats are smaller and in my opinion dangerous and uncomfortable. I went out with her and loved it; would highly recommend her.

As for bicycling to Las Terrenas - IMHO you would be nutso. The roads are hilly, but that is the least of your concerns...

First, on your way to your hotel from the airport, you'll be ready to $hit just watching how your Very Experienced taxi driver bounces around the potholes. Unless you've been bicyling in a "developing" country before and either have biked the Darian Gap or simply have a Testosterone Death Wish, I suggest you wait until you get home to Idaho or wherever. Seriously, just walk, take gua-guas, and motoconchos. If you want exercise, walk up the hill from Samana to Las Galeras and wait at the top for a gua-gua to your hotel.

Lastly, as a friend in the DR told me soon after my arrival, "You are going to visit a magical place where, as in Alice In Wonderland, strange things can and do happen, on a regular basis." Once you accept this, you are ready for the time of your life.

And stay off of a bicycle. In no uncertain terms.

P.S. AZB has been known to practice his sharp shooting on foreign cyclists along the roads of Samana during Easter Week. If you're heavy, female and/or in love with a Definitely Different Sankie, he might have it in for you. Another reason to walk.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Did they mean motorbikes or bicycles? Looking back at the OP I can see how I read one meaning and ESOLteacher read the other. :)

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
We lived in Las Galeras for a couple of months..twice. yes you can get around on a moto. The road from LG to Playa Rincon is much improved, except for the last couple of KM from Rincon down to the beach, although we two old farts have driven it on a moto & on a quad. It's really no big deal. I knew a couple who cycled to Playa Rincon, but you'd want a good bike & a better physique than I have. Yes you can ride a moto to Las Terrenas. The main route is via Samana. Go through Samana towards Sanchez & there will be a turn right to Las Terrenas, up a steep hill. The road is very scenic, but keep an eye about you at the lookout spots. There have been reports of robberies although we have never experienced any problems. From Las Terrenas, you can go on to El Limon & across the back way to Las Galeras. IF there has not been a lot of rain, although in 2003 there was a lot of paving being done so the whole route might be ok now. Check with Wolfgang if you rent a moto or jeepetta. While in El Limon, you may be tempted to visit the beach there. Good luck. We tried twice & quit both times. The road?? was hellish & there are lots of other beaches. I could not find any place in Las Galeras to rent decent bicycles in 2003. In 2001, we had bikes with the cottage & got around fine. Chiri will keep you right, even if she is a city girl. You can e mail me if you have any questions, although my info is 2 years old things change slowly up country.. Stan.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The only bicycles in Las Galeras are the ones provided for guests staying at Villa Serena hotel and the Casa Marina AI resort.