Homophobia in Diario Libre?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
http://www.diariolibre.com/app/article.aspx?id=28562

Today's Diario Libre said:
Por una lamentable coincidencia, la nota de un diario de Chicago sobre la visita del presidente Fern?ndez, ten?a a su lado un anuncio promoviendo a trav?s de la Internet a Rep?blica Dominicana como un para?so para el disfrute de los homosexuales.

(Bolding mine).

This is a reference to our friends at Cayo Limon gay resort.

Can anyone tell me why it is "lamentable" and WTF the journalist means by this? This is out of character by the normally tolerant DL, BTW.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Chirimoya said:
http://www.diariolibre.com/app/article.aspx?id=28562

(Bolding mine).

This is a reference to our friends at Cayo Limon gay resort.

Can anyone tell me why it is "lamentable" and WTF the journalist means by this? This is out of character by the normally tolerant DL, BTW.

I'm definitely not a Spanish language expert (can't even speak it), but it appears to me that the "lamentable" aspect of this might need to be seen in context. I doubt it was because the advertising was for a gay resort and more because it was a (possibly) tasteless ad (of which there are many).

Just a thought...maybe we should see the paper

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Or perhaps it refers to the rumored

propensity to "fly" attributed to our illustious President, during his first term? Remember when they called the National Palace the "Gallinera" ?? (The 'hen house' for you linguistically challanged).

Perhaps the "guilt by association" , given the proximity of the two opposing messages. One, a message proporting that the DR is a brawney, masculine nation that will be attracting heterosexual investments-Pre-stressed concrete forms?? $250 MM? The other, an ad for gays that enjoy a totally different lifestyle, playing with other "pre-stressed forms". Which will be the true DR??

Oh my....

HB:(:(???????

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Hillbilly said:
propensity to "fly" attributed to our illustious President, during his first term? Remember when they called the National Palace the "Gallinera" ?? (The 'hen house' for you linguistically challanged).

I was aware of the rumours but didn't think that was behind the choice of 'lamentable' (which means 'unfortunate', Castellamonte).

I just looked again and there are several readers' comments, reflecting both prejudice and tolerance. One of them seems to allude to HB's first theory.