Looking for a little Stove/gas advice..

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Greetings all,

As part of relocation will be purchasing some items here in the States for use down in Santiago. I have done a search here on gas/electric stoves and obviously am opting for gas. Although the ignition is electric on this model below, I was wondering if anyone can give me some pointers on whether this model would be able to run on the gas used in the DR. Or even just the appropriate questions to ask the manufacturer. Thanks in advance, hope the link works.

Ian

http://www.consumerreports.org/main...ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=333135&bmUID=1109950628494

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Redscot said:
Greetings all,

As part of relocation will be purchasing some items here in the States for use down in Santiago. I have done a search here on gas/electric stoves and obviously am opting for gas. Although the ignition is electric on this model below, I was wondering if anyone can give me some pointers on whether this model would be able to run on the gas used in the DR. Or even just the appropriate questions to ask the manufacturer. Thanks in advance, hope the link works.

Ian

http://www.consumerreports.org/main...ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=333135&bmUID=1109950628494

That is one item I would wait and purchase there. Use what the locals use. They know what works

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Stewart's advice is best. But if you do decide to buy it there, make sure that the stove is set up to work with propane, as opposed to "natural gas", as I think it's called. We have a stove (bought here) which has an electric ignition and it works fine. Can't access the CU report as I'm not a member.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
You buy the stove here because they are so cheap. You buy other items in the USA because they are so damn expensive here in the DR.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Excellent. Thank you for the replies. I wasn't aware that the stoves were cheap down there as everyone's blanket advice has been bring as many appliances as we can with us. Being that my wife is "repatriating" we have a window to bring down many items without too heavy import tax burden. I will be down in April and will check out the stove options in Santiago. Thanks again for your responses.

Ian

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
And example...

You can get a nice gas stove here for about 11000 pesos or less. You get a regular bottom of the line washing machine here for about 20,000 or more. Not to long ago they were 16000. Now they are more. Go figure.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
same boat

We are in the same situation. I have looked at the stoves there and we are definitly bring one with us. I am not sure what kind you are look at, but the quality of stoves we saw in Santiago were not very good and fairly expensive. We had a stove here in the US that used propane as we have no natural gas where we live and they worked fine. We are also bringing down our refirg and washer.
Bob k

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Bob, Would you be kind enough to give me a model number on the stove you are bringing here. I would like to compare that propane stove to one here. I also need to upgrade my stove. Thank You.

Bob K said:
We are in the same situation. I have looked at the stoves there and we are definitly bring one with us. I am not sure what kind you are look at, but the quality of stoves we saw in Santiago were not very good and fairly expensive. We had a stove here in the US that used propane as we have no natural gas where we live and they worked fine. We are also bringing down our refirg and washer.
Bob k

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Thanks Bob. I too have had experience with a propane stove here in the states and just wanted to make sure there was no other difference within propane gasses between here and the D.R..

Snuffy, here's the spec's on the stove that Consumer Reports rated a best buy recently. It goes for around $500 US, I have seen it listed as low as $429 recently.

http://www.absoluteappliances.com/hot30selclea1.html

Ian

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Thank You.

Redscot said:
Thanks Bob. I too have had experience with a propane stove here in the states and just wanted to make sure there was no other difference within propane gasses between here and the D.R..

Snuffy, here's the spec's on the stove that Consumer Reports rated a best buy recently. It goes for around $500 US, I have seen it listed as low as $429 recently.

http://www.absoluteappliances.com/hot30selclea1.html

Ian

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Folks,

Please keep this in mind, should you decide to bring a foreign model gas stove to the DR, be mindful the guarantee/warrantee for the product will not be valid here. Also, because of the hot climate and hard use, parts on the stove, usually the burner assemblies, grates, drip pans, and exposed metal parts, will rust out no matter how well you treat the equipment. .....The most likely cause is from making all the mangu and coffee in the morning.

The island stores will not stock parts for stove models not sold or marketed here. There is an ample amount of local stores selling replacement parts for all stoves produced for the Dominican market. Walk in the store and walk out with the part you need. The logistics of replacing a part for a stove brought in from offshore, is most likely you order a part from the country of purchase, make sure it is the part you need - sight unseen, wait for delivery, and hope it fits.

Regards,
PJT

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
RE: Stoves

For what it's worth you might look at this.

If you are going to make the BIG MOVE, and can afford one, get a VIKING that can be manually lit-no sparks or anything related to electricity (JIC). Such equipment is prohibitively expensive here. However, I would be willing to take you over to "my" restaurant supply place so you can price some for yourself.

If you don't wan't to do that, you can get 1-2 or 3 burner stove tops with large flames for excellent heat and fast cooking. Then almost any run-fo-the-mill oven will do you, IF you do a lot of baking or broiling.

From my point of view, normal stoves do not heat up enough for me to cook in a large wok, so I went with multiple ring burners . Currently I use three of them and a stove (for coffee or boiling eggs is about all). I do use oven thermometers to check the temps.

My caveat is that we cook for 15-18 people most every day, so we need the equipment.

So temper your cooking equipment to your needs. And if you are going to have servents, you had better remember "Murphy's Dominican Law" IF IT CAN BE BROKE, YOUR COOK WILL BREAK IT From washing the base of your food processor-blender in the dishwater, to scorching your best pots and pans....to dropping your cast iron woks and frying pans....Oh my, how they do it!!

HB :D:D

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Hillbilly said:

If you are going to make the BIG MOVE, and can afford one, get a VIKING that can be manually lit-no sparks or anything related to electricity (JIC).HB :D:D

I couldn't agree more with Hillbilly on his point about electricity. I brought in a ton of exceptionally nice kitchen stuff here and most of the ovens/stoves had to have their innards replaced at least twice. Mucho expensive!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Hillbilly said:

If you are going to make the BIG MOVE, and can afford one, get a VIKING that can be manually lit-no sparks or anything related to electricity (JIC). Such equipment is prohibitively expensive here. However, I would be willing to take you over to "my" restaurant supply place so you can price some for yourself.

If you don't wan't to do that, you can get 1-2 or 3 burner stove tops with large flames for excellent heat and fast cooking. Then almost any run-fo-the-mill oven will do you, IF you do a lot of baking or broiling.
So temper your cooking equipment to your needs. And if you are going to have servents, you had better remember "Murphy's Dominican Law" IF IT CAN BE BROKE, YOUR COOK WILL BREAK IT From washing the base of your food processor-blender in the dishwater, to scorching your best pots and pans....to dropping your cast iron woks and frying pans....Oh my, how they do it!!

I have to agree with HB here, (well, duh!) and bow to his superior knowledge of all things cooking. If I could have afforded it I would have gotten a Viking (to the tune of about 150,000 pesos), but I had to settle for a cheaper one. Since I don't have a cook (god forbid anyone but my husband touches my kitchen stuff) mine is more than adequate.

If you can't dish out the money for a Viking (a semi-industrial brand) or for an industrial stove, then you can get some decent American brands for 50 to 70 thousand pesos. I am happy with mine so far. :)

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Tough call

Hillbilly said:

From my point of view, normal stoves do not heat up enough for me to cook in a large wok, so I went with multiple ring burners . Currently I use three of them and a stove (for coffee or boiling eggs is about all). I do use oven thermometers to check the temps.

My caveat is that we cook for 15-18 people most every day, so we need the equipment.

Thanks HB and all,

The mere thought of a Viking stove gets me all worked up! One of the constants in my family growing up was cooking as a family. It still is the area that brings my family the closest together in many ways. I am just not sure at this stage if I could make that investment in a Viking off the bat. Our family unit is 5, and we will most certainly have more than that eating with us on the average.....My wife is also a big baker and it is an area she is interested in experimenting and improving in....so an oven would be important.

Pib, you mention a non-industrial type stove as costing roughly $2,000 USD which is about 4 times the price of the stove I am currently considering here in th States. Taking in to consideration shipping (we would most likely not pay any impuesto) it would still come out to about a third of the price and it is Consumer Reports "best buy" for whatever that's worth. Hmmmm....Tough call really, also considering the replacement parts, etc...One thing i will have is my father who will be coming down at least once a month to stay with us from NYC, so I do have a reliable courier when the time comes....

I must say I am leaning towards bringing one at this stage, but will wait till my visit in April to check out my options further. Maybe even fantasize about that Viking......... :lick:

Ian

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
cook's wet dream

Redscot said:
The mere thought of a Viking stove gets me all worked up![..]

Ian

i am more of fan of Garland ranges, commercial grade. just have alot of good memories about them. however, they weigh a ton and you have to make sure they'll fit through the doors of the house. but the double oven, 6 burner with raised flat grill is my favourite. it is 6' long....getting excited as i type.

the best of both worlds: buy used from a restaurant supplier. VERY cheap compared to the same item in the residential market. should be able to get a good unit, of any commercial brand, for about $1000 USD.

it's a little hard because we do plan to rent first...so you're packing stuff for your ulitimate home about two years out. problem is, from what i have seen, there is very little storage space in homes in the DR. if your rental unit is partially furnished or simply smaller than your ultimate home, you've got to store this stuff somewhere.

i've considered purchasing the shipping container but a 40' container is a little unsightly unless the home you are renting has a very large lot.

ah, too much DR dreaming and scheming...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If ONLY I Had DR1 When I First Moved To The DR!!!!!!!!!!!

And people like "Hillbilly" as a mentor!! I could have saved thousands of dollars and ever more aggrevation!!!

I bought "Top-Of-The-Line" kitchen appliances here.Mostly "Maytag"!!!
A dominican maid,or family member can completely destroy ANY kitchen appliance.They only know ONE Setting,"Full Heat"! Everything boils over,then burns into place!They then use sscrewdrivers and the like to chip away the burned in residue.That takes off the stoves finish,and the rust takes over.I had sealed electric burners.Only "sealed" to some,my maid managed to break them free with a screwdriver and a hammer.she then yanked out the burner,wires and all.Same with my Maytag refrigerator.She(not the same "She"!) used "SOS" pads to clean the finish,she actually got down to bare metal!Same for my glass shower doors,and sliding glass doors to the patios!A Dominican woman with "Brio Verde",and some "Ajax Cloro" is more dangerous than a Neutron Bomb!Never allow "scouring powder" in your house!
Now I buy "cheap" local stuff! They destroy everything at about the same pace,so in the end,I save money!
I bet the people telling you to bring lots of appliances to the DR are Dominicans.They really don't have a CLUE,but it makes you look "Richer" if you bring lots of stuff!!You know your returning wife will make a big impression on all the "Poor Relatives"!
Bring clothes,and any good appliances that you already own.Don't buy anything new to bring.Buy it here!I might bring some air-conditioners if I were shipping a Container by sea.
By the way,that "Returning Dominicans" can bring stuff duty free or with little tarrif is,like all thing Dominican,open to interpratation when you actualy go to get your stuff! Good Luck!!!

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Greg,

Although I know of no storage facilities in the DR...you may be able to rent a small apartment for 4000 to 6000 pesos per month...put everything in there...double bolt lock the front door or get one with bars on front door. Just a suggestion.

Gregg said:
i am more of fan of Garland ranges, commercial grade. just have alot of good memories about them. however, they weigh a ton and you have to make sure they'll fit through the doors of the house. but the double oven, 6 burner with raised flat grill is my favourite. it is 6' long....getting excited as i type.

the best of both worlds: buy used from a restaurant supplier. VERY cheap compared to the same item in the residential market. should be able to get a good unit, of any commercial brand, for about $1000 USD.

it's a little hard because we do plan to rent first...so you're packing stuff for your ulitimate home about two years out. problem is, from what i have seen, there is very little storage space in homes in the DR. if your rental unit is partially furnished or simply smaller than your ultimate home, you've got to store this stuff somewhere.

i've considered purchasing the shipping container but a 40' container is a little unsightly unless the home you are renting has a very large lot.

ah, too much DR dreaming and scheming...

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
My original quote on a stove was for a standard one that you would easily find here in DR. Of course it is not the top of the line but it will doe the trick. After you have been here for some time and you are sure that you are staying...you can buy something nicer. But everyone will have different needs.

Criss Colon said:
And people like "Hillbilly" as a mentor!! I could have saved thousands of dollars and ever more aggrevation!!!

A dominican maid,or family member can completely destroy ANY kitchen appliance.They only know ONE Setting,"Full Heat"! Everything boils over,then burns into place!They then use sscrewdrivers and the like to chip away the burned in residue.That takes off the stoves finish,and the rust takes over.I had sealed electric burners.Only "sealed" to some,my maid managed to break them free with a screwdriver and a hammer.she then yanked out the burner,wires and all.Same with my Maytag refrigerator.She(not the same "She"!) used "SOS" pads to clean the finish,she actually got down to bare metal!Same for my glass shower doors,and sliding glass doors to the patios!A Dominican woman with "Brio Verde",and some "Ajax Cloro" is more dangerous than a Neutron Bomb!Never allow "scouring powder" in your house!
Now I buy "cheap" local stuff! They destroy everything at about the same pace,so in the end,I save money!
I bet the people telling you to bring lots of appliances to the DR are Dominicans.They really don't have a CLUE,but it makes you look "Richer" if you bring lots of stuff!!You know your returning wife will make a big impression on all the "Poor Relatives"!
Bring clothes,and any good appliances that you already own.Don't buy anything new to bring.Buy it here!I might bring some air-conditioners if I were shipping a Container by sea.
By the way,that "Returning Dominicans" can bring stuff duty free or with little tarrif is,like all thing Dominican,open to interpratation when you actualy go to get your stuff! Good Luck!!!

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Criss Colon said:

Points well taken CC, especially the "repatriation" tax bit, lol, we have spoken with the Dominican Consulate, consulted Dominican lawyer friends, called moving companies and we realize the "impuesto's" will be somewhat pot luck. Best you can do is do your homework and factor in the inevitable grey area's best you can I suppose.

Greg alluded to another factor, we will be renting for the first 2 years and I a may be willing to bring a decent stove down there with the hopes of getting those 2 years out of it. If/When we decide to buy/build I would most likely take the plunge on a Viking professional model.

I am still undecided however and want to check out the options in Santiago this coming April when the family and I will be there for a week.

Appreciate all the input. Even your assumption that my wife's relatives are poor and preoccupied with material goods making a person seem rich ;).

Ian

Last edited: