Quick Trip to Sosua

Justintime

Aug 18, 2004
It all started innocently enough. My wife and oldest daughter opted for the relaxation of the beach, but my 16 year old daughter and I decided on a trip to Sosua. The four of us had been to Santiago a couple of days before, and at least two of us were now quite ready for a change of pace. We went to the lovely lobby of our resort (Marien Coral) and asked one of the bell hops for a taxi to Sosua. How much would it be? He looks on his list and determines $18US. Then he thought better of it, looked again and said it was $20US.

I?m grinning at this point?it?s getting funny?so he gets on the phone. THE PHONE?!!? When we went to the Playa Dorado Plaza yesterday he called the line of taxis, which waits out side the Iberostar and Coral Marien, with a walkie-talkie! Then I saw it. The other bell hop had the walkie talkie. Looks like we?re getting this very good deal, with a very good taxi, who is a VERY GOOD friend or relative of our ?very good? bell hop (chuckle, chuckle, chuckle).

After a bit of a wait - in drives the taxi?it doesn?t look quite like the vans and cars that I saw in ?the line? yesterday?but it was clean as a whistle. The introductions were made, the bell hop assured me that his buddy would be happy to wait for us when we got to our destination. So off we went in a little, not so new, (but clean) Chevy Nova with squeaky brakes and speakers bigger than the engine.

First stop, petrol. We waited at a busy little station. Funny how the spacious shiny filling station we passed was devoid of customers but the little ramshackle looking one was crowded. My daughter was grinning from ear to ear when a young couple rode up on a moto with the mom clutching a beautiful infant.

We finally get served then off we go again. Squeaking to a crawl from time to time as our driver slowed oh so cautiously for the potholes and bumps and SUVs went flying past. Soon we arrive in Sosua. Our driver (I wish I recalled his name) isn?t quite sure where to find ?Rocky?s Bar? so he cuts across traffic and pulls up to a street corner where he calls over a bystander. They act like old friends. They converse for a moment and buddy sticks his head in the window and says ?Where you want to go?? in his thick Spanish accent.

He knew where Rocky?s Bar was! Three doors down! Our driver let us out, I paid for the fare and he insisted that he wait. I said 30 minutes?no comprendo! So I said one hour, that he understood. One hour is better at Rocky?s than 30 minutes anyway!

We strolled into Rocky?s and were greeted by a pretty little seniorita ('Sybilla' I think) who assured my cautious daughter that they had the ?good ice?. We sat at what I think may be Scott's favourite breakfast table, the longer table set toward the back of the upper level. Unfortunately we missed the owner of the prestigious establishment on that day, he was out on an errand so we?ll have to catch him to say hello next time. ?Syb? was gracious though in allowing us to leave Marco a little note.

When we got up to leave exactly one hour after we sat down and looked outside, sure enough, there?s our driver across the street waving enthusiastically. We hop in the Nova, along with the speakers and brakes, and he swings down into a nice neighbourhood to stop at a parking lot overlooking the beach. What a nice view! Off we go now back towards Puerto Plata. I've no complaints about the driver at all and it was a real nice way to pass a couple of hours. When we pulled up in front of our resort the bell hop (you remember him don't you - the enterprising young man who arranged the whole transaction) opened our door and was eager to confirm that everything went splendidly.

We were all smiles of course, and as we headed through the lobby, leaving the two behind, I glanced back with a grin to observe that the bell hop was halfway in the passenger front door taking care of whatever ?business? he had with his friend/cousin/business associate ? our very good driver.

I just love the DR!

(Yes, I know...what the heck were we doing at an AI in the first place?)

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Justintime said:
It all started innocently enough. My wife and oldest daughter opted for the relaxation of the beach, but my 16 year old daughter and I decided on a trip to Sosua. The four of us had been to Santiago a couple of days before, and at least two of us were now quite ready for a change of pace. We went to the lovely lobby of our resort (Marien Coral) and asked one of the bell hops for a taxi to Sosua. How much would it be? He looks on his list and determines $18US. Then he thought better of it, looked again and said it was $20US.

I?m grinning at this point?it?s getting funny?so he gets on the phone. THE PHONE?!!? When we went to the Playa Dorado Plaza yesterday he called the line of taxis, which waits out side the Iberostar and Coral Marien, with a walkie-talkie! Then I saw it. The other bell hop had the walkie talkie. Looks like we?re getting this very good deal, with a very good taxi, who is a VERY GOOD friend or relative of our ?very good? bell hop (chuckle, chuckle, chuckle).

After a bit of a wait - in drives the taxi?it doesn?t look quite like the vans and cars that I saw in ?the line? yesterday?but it was clean as a whistle. The introductions were made, the bell hop assured me that his buddy would be happy to wait for us when we got to our destination. So off we went in a little, not so new, (but clean) Chevy Nova with squeaky brakes and speakers bigger than the engine.

First stop, petrol. We waited at a busy little station. Funny how the spacious shiny filling station we passed was devoid of customers but the little ramshackle looking one was crowded. My daughter was grinning from ear to ear when a young couple rode up on a moto with the mom clutching a beautiful infant.

We finally get served then off we go again. Squeaking to a crawl from time to time as our driver slowed oh so cautiously for the potholes and bumps and SUVs went flying past. Soon we arrive in Sosua. Our driver (I wish I recalled his name) isn?t quite sure where to find ?Rocky?s Bar? so he cuts across traffic and pulls up to a street corner where he calls over a bystander. They act like old friends. They converse for a moment and buddy sticks his head in the window and says ?Where you want to go?? in his thick Spanish accent.

He knew where Rocky?s Bar was! Three doors down! Our driver let us out, I paid for the fare and he insisted that he wait. I said 30 minutes?no comprendo! So I said one hour, that he understood. One hour is better at Rocky?s than 30 minutes anyway!

We strolled into Rocky?s and were greeted by a pretty little seniorita ('Sybilla' I think) who assured my cautious daughter that they had the ?good ice?. We sat at what I think may be Scott's favourite breakfast table, the longer table set toward the back of the upper level. Unfortunately we missed the owner of the prestigious establishment on that day, he was out on an errand so we?ll have to catch him to say hello next time. ?Syb? was gracious though in allowing us to leave Marco a little note.

When we got up to leave exactly one hour after we sat down and looked outside, sure enough, there?s our driver across the street waving enthusiastically. We hop in the Nova, along with the speakers and brakes, and he swings down into a nice neighbourhood to stop at a parking lot overlooking the beach. What a nice view! Off we go now back towards Puerto Plata. I've no complaints about the driver at all and it was a real nice way to pass a couple of hours. When we pulled up in front of our resort the bell hop (you remember him don't you - the enterprising young man who arranged the whole transaction) opened our door and was eager to confirm that everything went splendidly.

We were all smiles of course, and as we headed through the lobby, leaving the two behind, I glanced back with a grin to observe that the bell hop was halfway in the passenger front door taking care of whatever ?business? he had with his friend/cousin/business associate ? our very good driver.

I just love the DR!

(Yes, I know...what the heck were we doing at an AI in the first place?)
You owe me just for the pleasure of Sibs company. Man you are a lucky guy! Yes that was my breakfast table:)

Escott

Justintime

Aug 18, 2004
Breakfast on Me

Scott: Next time I'm in town I'll call you like you said to in the first place, AND breakfast will be on me.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Escott said:
You owe me just for the pleasure of Sibs company. Man you are a lucky guy! Yes that was my breakfast table:)

Escott

Your breakfast table??? I think you must mean the "breakfast clubs table!!!"

Joe

BTW Syb is one or the sweetest people I've ever known.