Teaching English in Puerta Plata

P

poetathome

I am a writer/teacher/poet who is coming to Puerta Plata in April. Any suggestions about teaching English to Dominicans. I noticed that in the hotels, those employess who spoke English made more money. Anyone have any information about beginning a school for english language? Thanks.

MISTER NYC

Feb 25, 2005
stay at home

poetathome said:
I am a writer/teacher/poet who is coming to Puerta Plata in April. Any suggestions about teaching English to Dominicans. I noticed that in the hotels, those employess who spoke English made more money. Anyone have any information about beginning a school for english language? Thanks.

i just saved you some head aches and employee confrontations down there. But, in all seriousness, join the club. There are many successful ones out there. Go visit them one by one. One is in charamico and the other in POP.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
There are several Englishs schools in Puerto Plata.
Alic is one, Johns English School is another one. Another just opened close to where I live on Duarte Street, they have afternoon classes only.
See them I check them out.
Many also take private lessons in English.
To begin a school... depends private or public. If it is private, it is runned as a company, association etc. Then you need licens and the rest of the paperwork, I am sure a lawyer can help you in these matters with what you need exactly.
If you are not in it for the money, I am sure the are public schools in Puerto Plata or volunteer organizations would be interested in having an English section maybe within their school program.
Even though English is taught in schools already.