inexpensive furniture

Mario

Sep 26, 2004
Hi everyone- Im looking for a place where I can purchase some nice small night tables to put alongside my bed. Everything I have found is so expensive. Where can I get cheap furniture, bathroom rugs, lamps. Im desperate- please help!

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
One word...PLASTIC. Its the cheapest furniture, but its functional. Try any fetterteria.
Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but "nice" is relative.
Have fun shopping. Good luck!
TEHAMA

Mario

Sep 26, 2004
No this is not quite what I had in mind HOWEVER, THANK YOU. I think I need one step up. I need a little style to my home. Plastic just doesnt work for me. Any other ideas? MARIO

TEHAMA said:
One word...PLASTIC. Its the cheapest furniture, but its functional. Try any fetterteria.
Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but "nice" is relative.
Have fun shopping. Good luck!
TEHAMA

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Mario said:
Hi everyone- Im looking for a place where I can purchase some nice small night tables to put alongside my bed. Everything I have found is so expensive. Where can I get cheap furniture, bathroom rugs, lamps. Im desperate- please help!
Can you give us an idea of what expensive might be to you? There are a number of very nice stores in Santiago (where are you) and Santo Domingo.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Mario said:

Well that is one of the problems here. You are not going to find inexpensive but attractive furniture. Lots of the expensive furniture is not attractive. And you will not find it used either. You buy expensive furniture or you buy the cheap junk.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Snuffy said:
You buy expensive furniture or you buy the cheap junk.
I agree, this has been constant source of frustration for me in the DR.

You can get stuff made to your own specifications - that worked for us with a place in the Zona Colonial in SD. Another option is bamboo which is not too expensive, but it is not to everyone's taste.

Buying other items like lamps in the cheaper ferreterias is a false economy. They don't last, and that's if you get them to work in the first place. Bathmats and things like that are OK in places like La Sirena, but the tackier styles tend to prevail.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
Chirimoya said:
I agree, this has been constant source of frustration for me in the DR.

You can get stuff made to your own specifications - that worked for us with a place in the Zona Colonial in SD. Another option is bamboo which is not too expensive, but it is not to everyone's taste.

Buying other items like lamps in the cheaper ferreterias is a false economy. They don't last, and that's if you get them to work in the first place. Bathmats and things like that are OK in places like La Sirena, but the tackier styles tend to prevail.
I'm thinking you need to get out of the big city into some of the smaller areas where furniture is more easily attained at cheaper prices. Go north, that's where I am so I'm biased, and I suspect you will be surprised. This is the same as in NYC--you go to ABC Furniture you can get anything if you have the $$$, head over to Jersey and save a fortune.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Have you come to Santiago?

If you are in the North Coast area, I would suggest that you come to Santiago and look around.
1) You might find what you are looking for at one of the antique dealers, or
2) there are several furniture stores that have all levels of furniture, form $300 mahogany rocking chairs to $30 stools.

You may get in touch for directions..

HB :D

Firefan

Feb 17, 2005
I have been on a hunt for furniture since I came here 2 months ago (Santo Domingo)- budget somewhere in the middle (where correct there is hardly anything...) -but with a bit of imagination I amonth other places checked that American something hardware store - 2nd floor they have some decent deals - inc. the nicer wood garden type furniture. They are nice enuff to use in living room which I have done.(still have a sofa and stuff too though!).
Cheers!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Snuffy said:
Well that is one of the problems here. You are not going to find inexpensive but attractive furniture. Lots of the expensive furniture is not attractive. And you will not find it used either. You buy expensive furniture or you buy the cheap junk.
I found a wicker and rattan furniture factory in Navarete that I think is quite reasonable. Sofa, 2 chairs, big cocktail table and End table made in my fabric for about 600 US but in pesos of course. Takes about 3 weeks to get. I bought 4 lots from them when I was renovating condos and like the stuff.

Scott

Mario

Sep 26, 2004
Can you please give me more info about where this place is. How do I get there from Sosua? Thanks! Mario

Escott said:
I found a wicker and rattan furniture factory in Navarete that I think is quite reasonable. Sofa, 2 chairs, big cocktail table and End table made in my fabric for about 600 US but in pesos of course. Takes about 3 weeks to get. I bought 4 lots from them when I was renovating condos and like the stuff.

Scott

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Escott said:

Scott
If you are going for the 'tropical style' then there is more than enough fair-priced to expensive furniture in very good taste to choose from. If you like more modern stuff you are out of luck... it is VERY expensive when it's found.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Escott said:

Scott

Scott,

I would be interested in checking that out. I have seen most of the wicker here and it appears flimsy. There are some rattan shops here in Santiago with very nice furniture...but expensive.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
I believe the owners name is Leonardo but my alsheimers is kicking in but their number is 585-5613.

You can mention Scott from El Neptuno if you want but you don't have to and it wouldnt make a difference to either of us:)

Scott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Pib said:
If you are going for the 'tropical style' then there is more than enough fair-priced to expensive furniture in very good taste to choose from. If you like more modern stuff you are out of luck... it is VERY expensive when it's found.
Unlike you high priced Dominicans I enjoy tropical here and have no need for EXPENSIVE Modern stuff or any other type of STUFF anymore. I left my leather furniture back in the states:)

Escott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Mario said:
Can you please give me more info about where this place is. How do I get there from Sosua? Thanks! Mario
It is between Confresi and Santiago on the Main St. in Naverate you will make a right about 1 mile from where you turn to go into town from Confressi. Don't know the street name but it is at the end of a road that is a hundred meters long and I have to get halfway through the intersection to stick my neck out to see before I continue onto the next. There is some sort of furniture sign on the left far corner but the road ends 100 meters up and they are at the end.

Call the number for better directions which of course I can't give:)

Escott

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
Firefan said:
I have been on a hunt for furniture since I came here 2 months ago (Santo Domingo)- budget somewhere in the middle (where correct there is hardly anything...) -but with a bit of imagination I amonth other places checked that American something hardware store - 2nd floor they have some decent deals - inc. the nicer wood garden type furniture. They are nice enuff to use in living room which I have done.(still have a sofa and stuff too though!).
Cheers!
Probably talking about Ferreteria Americana. Nice store.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Escott said:
Unlike you high priced Dominicans I enjoy tropical here and have no need for EXPENSIVE Modern stuff or any other type of STUFF anymore. I left my leather furniture back in the states :)
That is funny, and ironic, in more than one way. ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The place is called

Mimbre y Rattan Navarrete.
The owners are Tito Bueno and his wife
It is on the left hand side, just past the entrance to Productos Linda. There is a tiny shopping center right next to the entrance, it is called Plaza Idemis(sp???) or something close.

We have a living room set if you want to look at it.

Also Artesania Rattan in Santiago has been in business for more than 40 years and make excellent furniture. (artesania.rattan@verizon.net.do)

HB :D