Presidente Light...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Nope, I am not saying that Presidente is a light beer, I am saying that they came out WITH a Light Beer and labled as such. Alcohol content is only 4.5 % instead of the usual 5-6% depending on size.

I flipped out and grabbed someones used bottle to show People so they would believe me.

Escottgettinglighter

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
Escott said:
Nope, I am not saying that Presidente is a light beer, I am saying that they came out WITH a Light Beer and labled as such. Alcohol content is only 4.5 % instead of the usual 5-6% depending on size.

I flipped out and grabbed someones used bottle to show People so they would believe me.

Escottgettinglighter
My family was in Santiago last week & said they saw billboards & ads for it, but they couldn't find it in any bars or stores. How's it taste Scott?

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
Presidente lite

I just got back from DR and I had the pleasure of trying presidente lite.
its not that bad for being presidente some of the colmados and colmadones are confused and they are giving there clients the lite beer instead of the regular beer.
also, the difference between lite and regular is that the lite beer has a silver label and it says lite in green.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just getting a jump on Am Bev's entry into the beer market

For the first time its life President must be crapping in their pants. AmBev, the world's largest beer manufacturer has hit the Dominican market and will go to extreme lengths to carve out a share of the market.

President will retaliate by telling retailers: "If you sell AMBEV, I won't sell you Presidente." This is what they did when Bud tried to come into the local market.

Unfair trade practices, you say? Not here!. So AMBEV will tell them, "Not to worry, we can make up the difference, show me your President receipts for the past two or three months and we'll make sure you get the same profits." Or something similar. Presidente is currently trying desperately to use the "Dominican beer" image-"We are Dominican and you are not."

Oh yeah, and Presidente is going to buy Coca-Cola. they have a family relationship with Brugal....hehehe. Wonder if they have a lemon farm...:rolleyes:

This will be a knock down drag out bar room brawl!!.. Should be interesting for the consumers. Perhaps we'll get some good beer and maybe not, but the on-lookers will see one hell of a fight.

Presidente Light?? HAH!!

HB :(

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I noticed a large billboard on the corner of Churchil and Sarasota today.
Couldn't see the point, it's not like we have stong DUI laws here.
I thought to myself, who the hell is going to drink a light version?

After reading Hillbilly's post, I guess it now makes sense why they have released a light version.

presidente_light.jpg

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Escott said:

Escottgettinglighter

I have never been a beer drinker BUT when I had my first Presidente, I was hooked. Since then I know that they have changed the alcohol content in their beer and lately it just seems to make me tired instead of the intended purpose ;) . Does anyone know WHICH size still contains the 5 - 6% that all of their products used to have???

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Covering the market with new products

Presidente is trying to cover the whole beer market before Ambev moves in: bringing new life to Bohemia, launching Ambar, bigger bottles and now a Presidente Lite.
Anyone know when the Brazilians will start their conquest and with which beers?
Bartolomeo

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Hillbilly said:
For the first time its life President must be crapping in their pants. AmBev, the world's largest beer manufacturer has hit the Dominican market and will go to extreme lengths to carve out a share of the market.

President will retaliate by telling retailers: "If you sell AMBEV, I won't sell you Presidente." This is what they did when Bud tried to come into the local market.
For those of us that are "Beer Chalanged" what/who is Ambev and what do they make?

I bought Budweiser at the supermarket in Santo Domingo cheaper than they were selling presidente for. Import vs Local grown and the Local didn't compete? Whats up with that?

Escott

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The term 'light' is supposed to refer to the color and number of carbs, however, in American beer culture it has changed to mean 'light alcohol.' In the rest of the world, 'light' beer can be just as strong as regular beer. Just my 2 pesos worth.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Escott said:
For those of us that are "Beer Chalanged" what/who is Ambev and what do they make?

Escott
When I saw the ads for 'Presidente Light' I also wondered whether it meant 'light' as in diet or fewer calories. I bought a six-pack today so I'll let you know the verdict in due course. :knockedou

Ambev is a huge Brazilian brewing company that is about to enter the DR market, and Presidente are a little nervous to say the least.

See this article from the DR1 news archive.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Update after tasting the Presidente Light. All in the name of science, you'll understand. It's a tough job but someone has to do it, etc etc. :rolleyes:

Verdict - inconclusive. I couldn't honestly notice that much of a difference. It is slightly less bitter, but I can't tell if the intoxicating effect is any less than normal Presidente. I think I'll have to have two or three more and report back with the data. ;)

See also this old thread in which Ambev's arrival was first discussed on DR1.